U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:01 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,803,617 times

Advertisements

I had no idea this store was sooo expensive. They make Nordstrom look like Wal-Mart.

The mens prices were not so bad. $125 for a Burberry polo shirt, or $200 for some jeans, but the womens prices were crazy.

$1800 for a blouse?
$2300 for pair of shoes?
$1200 for a baby stroller? Oh, nevermind I bought one of those Bugaboo strollers for my daughter and I LOVE IT.

They opened a new one by my home and the wife and I went in to check it out. What was really cool was that my wife did buy a couple of blouses and and clutch and the sales clerk brought us glasses of champagne.

Does anyone here shop there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 09:31 AM

8,181 posts, read 16,155,849 times
No but I will walk thru with a Wal-Mart bag....yes I did that.

Funny story....my last name is one of the two names of the store. (We just spell it right lol)
I did purchase something inexpensive and when I pulled my checkbook out of the WalMart bag I thought the clerk was just going to faint. Then she saw my name and fawned all over me. I just rolled my eyes and walked out.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:34 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,462,399 times
I worked at Discover for a while and did a balance transfer for a person who had a $30,000 balance on her Neiman Marcus card. Some people really do shop there.

I never have but find the place really interesting... If I was rich I'd shop there for sure.

Last edited by lemon&lime; 09-19-2008 at 01:21 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 01:10 PM

10,750 posts, read 25,526,667 times
Neiman Marcus can be good for seeking out some designer pieces that are not readily available in other stores, albeit at a price, since it's not terribly difficult to rack up a five figure bill on a shopping expedition. What I like is the depth of collection for a department store, such that they have more of a designer such as Burberry than most other stores, except the brand's own stores, which is then mixed with more limited-reach brands that are not readily available outside of Europe or New York. And, while some merchandise tends to be at higher price points, they also offer quality items that are not terribly expensive as well.

The real selling point of Neiman Marcus is one-stop designer shopping in a customer service environment that is truly top-notch, and the staff will go out of their way to meet most requests with ease. Some collections at Neiman's do make Nordstrom look like a truck stop (okay a bit of an exaggeration), but not all do that, since Nordstrom does carry some good clothing as well. Both stores do have a similar service-oriented culture that makes shoppng easier for their customers, and much more welcoming than some other store environments.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:49 PM

342 posts, read 1,582,813 times
I've bought some items there (There was a moisturizer that was sold there that I loved, although it cost a pretty penny. Definitely a splurge), but I do not shop there regularly by any means. My experiences have been thus:

1) The sales associates often ignore me until I hunt them down. I guess I don't look like a millionaire and so I'm not a worthy client?? Even while asking about a product I guess they don't think I'll actually spend the money. Snobs!

2) What kind of a high end store (or any store for that matter) only accepts American Express credit card?? What about the millions of people who use visa or mastercard? Oh, the only other options are cash or checkbook. I don't like to remember to drag out my checkbook just to shop at one particular store.

Kind of became a rant, lol. Sorry

Old 09-19-2008, 07:42 PM

1,654 posts, read 6,603,294 times
I shop there quite a bit. Of course, I prefer Nordstrom, the customer service is better.

The reason why NM only accepts AMEX is because Visa and Mastercard have higher processing fees. Plus, most NM shoppers do have a AMEX.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:23 PM

10,750 posts, read 25,526,667 times
And, don't forget that NM likes to steer business to its own card, but it's hardly unique in the retail trade for doing that.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:22 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,520,746 times
You can catch some awesome sales at Neiman Marcus. If you aren't in the "must have the most current this season item and have more money than I know what to do with" which you then promptly toss next season and start over again--->look for the end of season clearances. Those originally $700 Prada sandals are going to look just as good next summer as this past summer-in fact even better once you get the markdowns that bring them down in the $250 range. Which isnt bad considering you can fork over $200+ just for a nice pair of sandals at Brighton or Coach.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:15 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,161,571 times
I've never shopped either one and don't care to spend that much money on apparel, shoes or handbags. Macy's and Dillards are about as expensive as I'll go...and it's usually shoes, handbags or career blouses that I buy there, that's it.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:42 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,145,091 times
Personally, I'd rather make a blouse by hand vice spending more than $20 on one. Call me cheap, but clothes are just clothes. They are nifty pieces of fabric that cover the body. Also, when I design and make it myself, I can make it fit every nook and cranny.

I also have yet to find a handbag or clutch that I liked every aspect of. It's much easier and less expensive to make your own.

But hey, why even attempt to make your own clothes and accessories when you can just slap a piece of plastic around to get someone to do it for you? Oh... wait. It actually requires skills to do more than just slap that plastic....

So no. Sorry. I won't be stepping in a store that serves alcoholic beverages to their patrons. I'd probably be the cop standing outside giving breathalyzers when those patrons go to enter their cars. Teeheehee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty