Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:53 PM

365 posts, read 1,252,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kika_03 View Post
I would caution anyone who uses this who does not know if they are allergic to the benzoyl peroxide in the product. My face felt like it had fish scales all over it and started breaking out worse then I was. However, I have known many people who have used it and it worked great. Now I only use Cetaphil and an acne scar peeling mask and my face looks much better.
I too would urge caution at first. It made my daughter's acne so much worse that she had to stop using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 10:40 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,597,435 times
useless for me

Old 10-01-2008, 11:17 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,429 times
Ita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy View Post
useless for me

Old 10-01-2008, 12:02 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolL View Post
I too would urge caution at first. It made my daughter's acne so much worse that she had to stop using it.

Same here. Works great for my little brother (just turned 16 today, has quite a bit of acne unfortunately) but made my skin dry, flaky and break out even more. My mom urged me to try it for 60 days just to make sure, and I did. Maybe it's just meant for some and not for others.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:12 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
I use Proactiv but dont use the entire kit. I just buy the big bottles of the Deep Cleanser off Ebay and it works great.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:32 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Bit of an old topic but maybe some one can help.
My 23yr old daughter has a problem with facial acne, after trying everything i finally succumbed to the commercials and ordered the Proactive product, that was a year ago and i'm seeing no difference, She uses the product as prescribed and i'm starting to have my doubts about this product and its effectiveness.
Also the billing procedure seems a bit shady as they bill you once a month ($30) but only send the product every 2 and a half months.
Are there generic products i could buy instead of this expensive Proactive stuff?
Thanks

Last edited by jambo101; 06-09-2013 at 01:40 PM..

Old 06-09-2013, 06:36 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Bit of an old topic but maybe some one can help.
My 23yr old daughter has a problem with facial acne, after trying everything i finally succumbed to the commercials and ordered the Proactive product, that was a year ago and i'm seeing no difference, She uses the product as prescribed and i'm starting to have my doubts about this product and its effectiveness.
Also the billing procedure seems a bit shady as they bill you once a month ($30) but only send the product every 2 and a half months.
Are there generic products i could buy instead of this expensive Proactive stuff?
Thanks
Hmm..I would maybe contact the billing department and see if they are billing right. I think they did break it up at the time ordered it so I would get a couple months supply but the bill would be broken up into smaller bills instead of one larger lump sum.

Anyway I found these two to work well:
Acne Treatment Products - AcneFree

PanOxyl - Dermatologist Recommended Acne Products

You can get them at the drug store or walmart type stores. BUT if your daughter's acne is not responding to BP she may need a different type of product, or a more gentle product or her habits could be adding to the problem. (dirty makeup brushes/pillowcases with softner/dirty pillowcases(change daily)/pore clogging makeup)

It should be making SOME sort of difference in a year. It took longer than 3 months for me. I think it was about 6. Now its finally gone after a few months in a tanning bed. I only use a BP lotion for hormonal breakout time. I wash with Neutrogena :
Facial Cleansing Bar | Neutrogena®

I was using the acne prone:
Facial Cleansing Bar for Acne-Prone Skin | Neutrogena®

p.s.
I think it was about a year of using proactive then I tried tanning booths. (ones with uvb like the sun)
After doing a couple months of tanning without any BP product (can cause the skin to burn) it also helped my skin improve as well. I never burned my face and have read that it can make acne worse but I guess that was not true for me. I stopped having to use BP washes after that. Only used them during hormone times and now, not at all. Tanning didn't hide anything as I let my skin go back to pale just to see if it was the beds keeping it clear. This was about a year ago now. No bad skin to return.

Sometimes toner used these days as well:
http://shop.riteaid.com/Rite-Aid-Ast...K#.UbUiZJwQOrA

Last edited by Opsimathia; 06-09-2013 at 06:56 PM..

Old 06-11-2013, 05:31 AM

27 posts, read 31,589 times
Yes agreed with above forums, I hope you all talking about proactiv, because i also use the same

Old 06-11-2013, 05:35 AM

87 posts, read 134,578 times
Dint got you stella, was that effective for you or no?, for me it was like okay, cause it helped but took much time then my expectations.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:10 AM

27 posts, read 31,589 times
Hi Ritu, forgot to say. it was effective for me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty