Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:31 AM

631 posts, read 1,886,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I have to confess I am a Coach junkie - but I love the smell and feel of fine leather and also the attention to detail that you just cannot get in a cheaper bag - BUT - I shop at the Coach outlet and wait for a 50% sale and then I only buy one or two bags every couple of years - so I let myself have my little indulgence!
The women who hardly spend anything on their clothes and accesories are the smart ones that have money in the bank - I will probably be eating cat food when I get old - save your money girls~

I'm with you on this one. I LOVE Coach but mine come from the outlet. I don't have an excessive amount but just a few. They last forever and are classic. Well some of them are classic. I don't get into the super trendy purses with funky colors. If I do that then I go for a cheaper purse, usually something from TJ Maxx. But if its a classic color like brown, black, white I'll go for the expensive purse just for durability and lenght of use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 04:56 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
You only live once....

Old 09-30-2008, 05:45 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
I used to buy $$$ bags (1K plus), but I must have gotten it out of my system or maybe it's just that there's nothing out there that really appeals to me.

I'm now attached to my $99 LL Bean leather tote!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:38 PM

26 posts, read 121,222 times
My thing is- if you could afford it, why not?

As long as you're not buying designer bags instead of feeding your kids, I don't see a problem in indulging and treating yourself.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:27 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
Oh please, just because someone spends money on purses, shoes, etc, does not mean they are trying too hard for status, nor breaking their banks, nor submitting to societal and peer pressures, like some posters have suggested.

Maybe some of us can afford to buy these items, and enjoy high quality items. Fashion to me is wearable art, and I prefer the kind that is authentic. Not knockoffs. Also, quality is a factor, I could spend $20 on shoes that will barely last a season or $200-300 on shoes that will last much longer. In the long run, I feel I am spending less than the person who shops the cheaper priced (and quality) items, because I replace less often.

But really, I don't judge others for not being able to afford my $900 purse, please don't judge me because I can. Its just as shallow.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:46 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Oh please, just because someone spends money on purses, shoes, etc, does not mean they are trying too hard for status, nor breaking their banks, nor submitting to societal and peer pressures, like some posters have suggested.

Maybe some of us can afford to buy these items, and enjoy high quality items. Fashion to me is wearable art, and I prefer the kind that is authentic. Not knockoffs. Also, quality is a factor, I could spend $20 on shoes that will barely last a season or $200-300 on shoes that will last much longer. In the long run, I feel I am spending less than the person who shops the cheaper priced (and quality) items, because I replace less often.

But really, I don't judge others for not being able to afford my $900 purse, please don't judge me because I can. Its just as shallow.
Not judging you. I can well afford it I just can't comprehend the "why". It's just a personal preference because I don't think material things are important. But that's just me.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:20 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
Well when it comes to jeans, they aren't all created equal. Walmart brand denim can't hold a candle to most of the premium jeans.
As long as they make my big ol' butt look decent, I am a happy camper.

My vice, actually, is gemstones. NOT jewelry. Just the stones. I have absolutely no use for the settings, gold, etc.

Its the rocks that matter...

Old 10-03-2008, 05:59 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
My vice, actually, is gemstones. NOT jewelry. Just the stones. I have absolutely no use for the settings, gold, etc.

Its the rocks that matter...

So what do you do with them if you don't set them?

Old 10-03-2008, 06:43 AM

161 posts, read 563,536 times
it is just a personal preference. everyone is different and spend their money based on what is meaningful to them. i do like an expensive smooshy leather handbag now and then. i can afford it now and then. not sure why it would upset anyone. i have also been known to buy clothes from walmart. what floats my boat is important to me and what floats your boat is important to you.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:02 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
So what do you do with them if you don't set them?
Keep them hoarded away in a big chest. When I am depressed or upset, I go to that chest and look at all my rocks.
My "stash" of shiny things makes me happy. Im too greedy to share the beauty with others.

Besides, if you set them and wear them, you can lose/damage the stones more easily.

haha, I have actually been known to get a ring with a nice stone in it and remove the stone from the ring. lol
Setting gets tossed into a plastic container with the other settings, and the stone goes into the box.

LOL you probably think Im nuts....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty