Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:06 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Oh please, just because someone spends money on purses, shoes, etc, does not mean they are trying too hard for status, nor breaking their banks, nor submitting to societal and peer pressures, like some posters have suggested.

Maybe some of us can afford to buy these items, and enjoy high quality items. Fashion to me is wearable art, and I prefer the kind that is authentic. Not knockoffs. Also, quality is a factor, I could spend $20 on shoes that will barely last a season or $200-300 on shoes that will last much longer. In the long run, I feel I am spending less than the person who shops the cheaper priced (and quality) items, because I replace less often.

But really, I don't judge others for not being able to afford my $900 purse, please don't judge me because I can. Its just as shallow.
That pretty much sums it up right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 06:37 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,864,824 times
Wow, well, I love clothes... love shoes...love purses... but I have a mortgage and a family to feed...

The key is to find the FINDS. I have great items that I found on Clearance that are classic QUALITY pieces and will LAST... not a waste if you are willing to care for them. But I am not willing to blow a TON... must be on Clearance, TJ MAXX, Marshalls or end of season...or the like. It doesn't have to be Kate Spade or LV... but quality...

Old 10-04-2008, 08:56 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,072 times
Gee I must be a strange female...

I hate clothes shopping. I hate shoes. I keep one purse until it dies( as in the straps break and it has holes in it), and even then my friends force me to buy a new one VS repairing the old one.

lol I spend less than 5 minutes getting ready in the morning. I refuse to wear makeup ( unless you're a VERY special person, and even then I hesitate) never "do" my hair, and I cant stand pastel colors....

Perhaps God should have made me a man...LOL
Hmm...how to turn the name "Cold" into a man's name....

Old 04-17-2010, 05:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,477 times
It's a very interesting post! thanks for your informations.
Replica handbags (http://www.replicahandbags888.com/index.html - broken link)
<a href="http://www.replica4sale.com/index.html">replica handbags</a>
designer handbags (http://www.replicahandbags888.com/index.html - broken link)
<a href="http://www.designerhandbags888.com/index.html">designer handbags</a>
<a href="http://www.christianlouboutinshoesvip.com/index.html">christian louboutin shoes</a>
<a href="http://www.christianlouboutinshoes4sale.com/index.html">christian louboutin shoes</a>
<a href="http://christian-louboutin-online.com/index.html">christian louboutin shoes</a>
<a href="http://www.christianlouboutinsaler.com/index.html">christian louboutin</a>
<a href="http://www.replicabags888.com/index.html">replica bags</a>
I learnt a lot of things from it. thank you !

Old 04-17-2010, 10:59 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,376,832 times
I think that every person have their "kicks", something that they enjoy spending money on. If people have tons of money that they can spend and like spending them on expensive purses and shoes, then hell, why not?
For example, I love good and expensive food, I would rather go to upscale high end restaurant and spend my money there...but that's MY thing.

I also think that more expensive accessories tend to last longer...but I don't have a lot of money to spend on designer shoes! So I would rather buy one good pair of good quality shoes, than 5 cheap ones.

I think it becomes a problem when women love to spend money on stuff so much that it consumes them. It becomes who they are. They judge people by the labels and preoccupied with keeping a certain standard.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:06 PM

314 posts, read 1,181,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Plus, just about every purse I've ever bought I've gotten complimented on and that makes me feel really good inside. If you asked my husband, he'd tell you it was worth it b'c my self-esteem is not all that high!

Finally! A post I can truly respect (and believe). Someone has the "jingle bells" to be honest as to the real reason they buy designer bags. Good for you!!!

Old 04-17-2010, 02:40 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I think that every person have their "kicks", something that they enjoy spending money on. If people have tons of money that they can spend and like spending them on expensive purses and shoes, then hell, why not?
For example, I love good and expensive food, I would rather go to upscale high end restaurant and spend my money there...but that's MY thing.

I also think that more expensive accessories tend to last longer...but I don't have a lot of money to spend on designer shoes! So I would rather buy one good pair of good quality shoes, than 5 cheap ones.

I think it becomes a problem when women love to spend money on stuff so much that it consumes them. It becomes who they are. They judge people by the labels and preoccupied with keeping a certain standard.
Great post!

I spend money on bicycles and other athletic gear. I'll drop $200-300 bucks on a pair of bicycle shoes in a heartbeat. I buy 4-5 pairs of expensive running shoes every year. I love tents and backpacks and technical fleece.

Soooo, I suppose I can't really speak ill of women who get their kicks from Italian pumps or buttery-soft handbags.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:47 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
So what do you do with them if you don't set them?
Mine personally are the fish gravel for the goldfish tank, lol.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
There was an interesting thread over in the Relationships forum about hobbies. Many people defended their hobbies, such as collecting $30,000 in model trains or restoring sports cars. Like plaidmom said above, some people spend money on sports equipment or camping. Some people like to travel. Go to the Photography forum; there are lots of people talking excitedly about their new camera equipment. Some of those lenses cost thousands of dollars. It's just a matter of what your interests are. Spending $900 on a pair of shoes is no different or worse than spending $900 on a new component for your beloved Corvette or $900 on some new ski equipment.

It would be really difficult for me to spend that much money on shoes or a purse--I don't think I've ever spent $100 on anything like that. But I'll keep an open mind, and maybe I'll give it a shot someday.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:42 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,098 times
Well I wish I didn't have the desire for designer purses and shoes. I have a lot of shoes. Yes I can only wear 2 at a time, but I love the option of changing. However, I am trying to limit the amount of stuff I accumulate. I want to simplify my life. My mother passed recently and she was a serious fashion expert. She had so much... and none of it matters now. I think shoes are always going to excite women and u r always going to want the matching handbag. The principle to apply is balance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty