Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:23 AM

485 posts, read 1,840,082 times

Advertisements

The media is full of stories telling us that the world economy will crash in late 2008-2009. Most of us will have a rapidly falling standard of living and many of the things that we spend money on will have to be cut way back.

My wife spends an incredible amount of money to stay beautiful. She spends almost a $100 for monthly haircuts, hundreds in spa treatments, thousands in cosmetic surgery, hundreds a month for cosmetics, and hundreds in fancy clothes to make her feel pretty and sexy.

When our economy crashes what will happen to the whole beauty industry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 07:49 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Thats why I trim my own hair and buy mini-mart brand sunglasses. My spa treatment is a few drops of baby oil in the bathtub. Clothes? Mostly come from the Goodwill stores (youd be surprised what you find there!) and Kmart.
For me, I am what I am. Thats it. Thrifty, simple, and nothing 'plastic'. In tough times, the name of the game is survival.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:52 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Thats why I trim my own hair and buy mini-mart brand sunglasses. My spa treatment is a few drops of baby oil in the bathtub. Clothes? Mostly come from the Goodwill stores (youd be surprised what you find there!) and Kmart.
For me, I am what I am. Thats it. Thrifty, simple, and nothing 'plastic'. In tough times, the name of the game is survival.
I trim my own hair, and I cut my husband's hair, as well. I do have slightly more expensive sunglasses. I just bought them a couple of months ago, and they were about $75, (glass lenses, which I prefer), but I find that they last much longer than the cheaper ones, if one takes care of them, (the last ones I had lasted me about eight years). I don't do spa treatments, showers do me just fine, (I'm not a bubblebath kind of person). My clothes come from Wal-Mart, Target, and Academy. I wear jeans exclusively, (except for a nice pantsuit in my closet for certain occasions), so my clothing tastes are pretty simple, since jeans will accomodate almost any kind of top, (jeans are also very forgiving and tough, so I can make them last a very long time). My makeup consists of one tube of mascara, one eyeliner, one powder compact, and Burt's Bees lipbalm! If the world economy crashes that badly, the beauty industry surely won't notice my absence! I'm barely a blip on their radar as it is!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:40 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
The media is full of stories telling us that the world economy will crash in late 2008-2009. Most of us will have a rapidly falling standard of living and many of the things that we spend money on will have to be cut way back.

My wife spends an incredible amount of money to stay beautiful. She spends almost a $100 for monthly haircuts, hundreds in spa treatments, thousands in cosmetic surgery, hundreds a month for cosmetics, and hundreds in fancy clothes to make her feel pretty and sexy.

When our economy crashes what will happen to the whole beauty industry?
It's ashame that she feels she needs all of that to feel good about herself. I'm sure that she will be able to continue with most of her surgeries, clothing, and beauty if you pay the price. I hope you love her for who she is and not what she can make herself into.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:41 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
what will happen to the rich, and the high maintenance people, you know.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:46 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Naw, there are plenty of people still doing well and who will continue to frequent these types of places. I don't much care for all the fancy-schmancy haircuts, etc.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:15 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Wow....it sure takes a lot to keep her beautiful!! What will she look like if recession hits??

Old 10-01-2008, 10:32 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I'm glad I'm a real person. I don't have to worry about these types of places closing.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:45 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
I'm still going to do what I already do. The only area I am going to cut back is the Starbucks. I didn't stop there this morning for my usual Venti Chai Latte. Yes, I'm having withdrawals, but I'll live. It's dual purpose - I'm saving money: ($3.85 x 5 = $19.25 per week, which is $83.41 per month, which is $1,000.92 per year! ) AND I don't need the caloric intake. When I enjoy my Starbucks in the morning, I just have to work out that much harder after work. So, I'm saving money and reducing calories. That's a good thing, right???

Old 10-01-2008, 11:22 AM

603 posts, read 2,359,152 times
I really think your posts are so funny! To answer your question, I guess it all depends on how much you can afford and where you want to invest your money. When I decided to cut my work hours after our second child was born, a lot of my beauty expenses had to take a back seat; I am now a brunette, I go for walks instead of the gym, most of my make-up is purchased at a drug store. Luckily I was pretty low-maintenance to begin with. If you don't mind your wife spending all that money and you can afford it, go for it! I personally think there will always be people who spend money on beauty, spa treatments, etc even if the economy completely goes in the toilet. For some people, it's an addiction.

I'll admit, it was hard going from hair with blonde highlights to my natural brunette color, mostly because of looking at roots for almost 2 years . Now my hair is all my natural color and I'm liking it. (who says blondes have more fun!) I think if your wife decides to cut back her beauty expenses, she'll have to do it gradually because it seems to be a big self esteem thing for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty