Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 04:13 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Mm, no, I'm still staying a 10 at any height is not thin. I agree that everyone has their "just right" size so maybe they look better at a size 10 than a size 6, but that doesn't make their size 10 thin.

I think it's a sign of our national waistline that this would be considered thin, when it's really normal/medium/average (and LOL that she thinks she's an hourglass).

edit: Oh, and I say this as a 6 footer so I have some tall girl perspective.
I'm 6'1 and even at my thinnest in my early twenties (around 115 lbs) I never went below a size 9/10. My hip bones simply don't allow anything smaller, but I have a friend who is 6' tall and easily wears a size 2. She has narrow hips and a runway models body while I'm curvier. Even after gaining around 80 lbs since then, I've only gone up 3 pants sizes because I carry my weight very uniformly throughout my body. I was absolutely thin as you could see all of my ribs and my sternum had that weird accordian effect that really thin people get. If I go below 160 lbs I start to look too thin, but I do need to lose around 20 lbs to be at my 'best'.

So yes, a size 10 can be thin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I'm glad that I have enough going on in my life that what other people choose to wear doesn't get my panties twisted
That's how I feel as well. I'm usually walking around in a tank top with ratty grease covered jeans and chucks though, so I really have no say in what other people wear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 01:03 PM

217 posts, read 215,348 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F64aEjEtIrA

Is it not too shot?

Old 07-08-2012, 10:23 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,417,031 times
You people really need to go to Miami and Tampa and see what inappropriate clothing on wrong bodies look like. I was just telling my friend the other day that there's nooooo in shape people here in Tampa. Just a bunch of overweight trash that's wearing very tight shirts and cut off shirts with their white ass guts/muffin tops hanging out. So disgusting..Plus they have men and it makes me wonder why I even bother hitting the gym 5 days a week.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:56 PM

571 posts, read 1,200,703 times
Some of it may be cultural. Growing up, when my parent's friends came over for dinner, most of the ladies were wrapped in SUPER tight pants, jeans, dresses - you name it. Lots of perfume, no problem with fat rolls showing, even - dare I say - camel toe (those pants were pulled up TIGHT). I don't understand how this was comfortable. Plus, it was Miami, so it was HOT and humid. I should add that some of these women were attractive with lots of attention to makeup and hair (so it's not that they were out of shape, had given up on appearance or didn't buy new clothes). It is simply what they considered sexy.

I could never dress that way. Everything has to lay smooth - no rolls anywhere. I think having fat visible fat rolls looks cheap - but that's just me.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:17 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,707 times
nevermind the women---- what about the men with skin tight pants on with their humongous bellies hanging over the waist? The back so tight they can't even get the pants high enough to reach their waist so the waist of the pants is just barely above the crack of their ass and then they have the nerve to tuck their too tight shirt in and everything is just all bunched up, looking ridiculous???

I agree there are way too many women who dress inappropriately but men are just as guilty!

Old 08-23-2012, 12:10 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,016 times
Well, I'm slightly (~20 lbs) overweight. I avoid tight shirts, since I have a soft belly, partly due to weight/age and partly thanks to kids, but, I'll wear tight jeans, since, if I must say so myself, I still have a nice butt...

Old 08-23-2012, 01:11 PM

221 posts, read 282,863 times
I think a lot of people don't know how to dress properly, don't care how they look in clothes and/or don't want to pay for alterations. I'm not sure even thin people in excessively tight spandex clothing look attractive

Old 08-23-2012, 01:39 PM

221 posts, read 282,863 times
Re: Clothing size...I have clothing in my closet that ranges from a size 2 to a size 10, depending on the age of the clothing, the manufactuer, the country of origin. I can't come to any conclusion about what size I am since every chart I look at is different. I always have to buy clothing to fit my shoulder span or across my back and my backside/thighs - and it is usually a tent in the waist.

Any size between 2 - 14 is not going to determine whether or not a person is "fat" or not. I knew a large structured girl in high school who wore a 12 or 14, but her PT job was landscaping and she probably had more muscle mass than some of the boys in school. I knew a gal who was a very flabby size 2 because although she was petite, her activities amounted to being a "career student", laying around otherwise and indulging on drag weed.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:53 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,250 times
I've always found it strange when sizing charts for pants tell you to measure your waist to find your size. My pants have never come anywhere near my waist, the highest ones hit somewhere around my bellybutton. Seems they might do better with a hips and thigh measurement, since those are the two regions that are going to affect what size you wear in pants.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:31 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,397,457 times
Although I have my share of pudge & rolls in places, I wear fitted clothes (not tight) because I find I tend to eat better and watch my posture when dressed like that as oppposed to looser attire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty