Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:27 AM

285 posts, read 927,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe View Post
Thanks, I think I will just donate them to Goodwill.
Mi wife and I do the Goodwill donation thing also...Ebay is a nice option! Goodwill, fast, the stuff is gone. No more hassels...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 02:17 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
I have awesome luck selling clothes on Ebay.

Plato's closet. The first time I took a bag there, they kept almost everything and I got like 60 bucks. Not too bad. Second time I went, They bought two things for a whopping 4.75 cents, which barely covered the smoothie I bought next door while I was waiting.

I went home, put the stuff on Ebay, which I have down to a science and does not take me that long, and probably made 150 bucks for about 2 hours worth of total work. One pair of shoes, they wouldn't take them, I sold them on Ebay for over $50.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:06 PM

496 posts, read 1,250,905 times
goodwill. you take a receipt and use it for tax deduction

Old 01-29-2009, 10:43 PM

2 posts, read 170,288 times
Plato's Closet is a picky place. However, they really do have nice stuff in there. The customer base is youg, generally 14-24 years old. Those kids KNOW the labels, and KNOW the styles. There is NO opinion or personal style when they are looking throught your clothes at Plato's, there is a HUGE rule book they go by, there is no margin for personal taste. You people dont realize that sometimes your labels are old, your stuff stinks, it is excessively worn (there is pilling in the cotton). They have a big fat binder of all the labels, "hot" "warm" or "cold" that they MUST go by. If you are curious on an item they passed, pull it out and ask. You people all complain so much! But in this economy, that 5 or 7 bucks matters. Each individual store only makes about 10% on the clothing. It is a franchise, so they have to pay their dues. The store gives you 35% of what they will sell the item for. If they dont think it will sell quick, they dont take it. You wouldnt either. Plato's also invests in high tech lighting over the "buy counter", so they can pick up small stains and discoloration a lot better than most customers could at home. Seriously, dark yellow armpits on a white shirt that obviously wasnt washed before it was brought in? GROSS!!! That is why there are 5 bottles of hand sanitizer under the counter. Also, they dont want to sort through your nasty shoes that have been sitting & collecting dust on top of dirt for years in the garage. Moreso, clean out purses before you bring them in! Nobody wants to see that picture of your boyfriend naked in the pocket of the purse. They dont need your tampons, melted gum, and broken pens. They dont want suitcases, old-lady purses, or the ones you get free from victorias secret. Dont be offended when they say it is due to "style". Sometimes it is just products that arent at a high demand, therefor there is a backstock of the item. They reserve the right to refuse clothes due to high backstock, style, or whatever other reason they want to. Dont stand there and convince them to take your things. Plato's Closet is a wonderful concept, and the employees are generally friendly and helping. When they hand your things back, saying "im sorry but today we couldnt take these items here due to slight staining and excessive wear"... would you rather them yell out "here lady, your stuff is gross and stained, its trash, go throw it away" ?? I think not. You do get a decent value out of what you bring them. Appreciate it!!!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 170,288 times
Oh, and also.... on the bottome (pants, jeans, shorts) the inseam cant be more than 6 - 9 inches depending on the size. for size 00-2 it cant be more than 7 inches, 3-8 no more than 8 inches, 8 and larger no more than 9 or 10 inches. And... tops (tshirts, polos, tanks) MUST be atleast 15 inches from the armpit down. No exceptions. Unless it is a shall or half-top. Most Plato's Closets do no accept longer skirts (past the knee). Some exclude certain brands - Tommy Hilfiger, geoffrey beane, perry ellis, etc.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:15 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
Anybody do garage sales anymore???

Old 01-31-2009, 05:40 PM

948 posts, read 3,355,361 times
Default I can't stand consignment stores

They want your best and are willing to give you a mere pittance for them. I've never found them to be worth the money or time. Typically a really demeaning process.

Here's an idea: Get a bunch of women you know to invite all the women they know and have a clothing exchange/sale with each other. If you have at least 20 women, you got a good chance of finding some good stuff. AND you don't get stiffed or a mere 50 percent of the cost.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 85,338 times
I never have an issue with them buying my clothes their all from Abercrombie & Fitch or BKE... but Plato’s is not a good idea! yeah i go there some times when i need the cash but they really rip you off... umm like a 300 dollar Ezra Fitch 100% cashmere sweater i only wore it once they were going to give me 4 dollars for i was like no and waked out and the last time I went with a par of Big Star jeans that were brand new tags and all 135 dollars they were like these are to old but will make down the price hell no. And they really do make you feel like TRASH umm hello Im not the one working at Plato's honey!!!! but you are. so I don’t go there anymore.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 82,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
I've had ONE good experience where they took almost ALL my clothes and I got like $70 bucks (which I thought was AWESOME!) and I've had one so so experience where they took like half and gave me like $40 bucks. And one BAD experience where they took almost nothing and I only got like $7.

It all depends on the opinion of the person looking at your clothes. One persons opinion may differ from anothers. It's WORTH a shot to just TRY, if worse comes to worse you can say no thanks and walk out if they offer you jack squat. I really don't care how they talk to me or act towards me (They can act as snotty as they want to) because in the end of the day THEY work at Platos closet, and I can go home and never have to step inside that store again.... hehe

So when u took your clothes that got you $40, what kinds of clothes were they and what brands??

Old 03-24-2010, 07:21 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
I had ONE good experience there where got like $70 back several years ago. However, every time since then (I've gone maybe 3 more times since) they take like 1 item, give me 3 bucks and have a snobby attitude.

I've has better luck selling my clothes on eBay as "lot" of items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty