Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:48 AM

240 posts, read 1,286,936 times

Advertisements

I cleaned out my closet this weekend and I have good clothes that I would like to sell to a consignment shop. I found Plato's closet online and I am planning on taking my clothes to their store. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with them and do they give you a good deal for your clothes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 05:42 PM

109 posts, read 756,413 times
i brought in a big box, almost all name brand stuff (j crew, express, tommy, etc), they kept the box for an hour and they took NOTHING! I was really surprised. Hope you have better luck.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:58 PM
miu

17,762 posts, read 40,025,663 times
You'd do much better if you sold them yourself online through craigslist or eBay. Consignment businesses usually take up to a 50% cut of the price the item sells for. And to see how your clothes might do, just do some searches on craigslist and eBay to see what other sellers are getting for the same type of clothing. It's well worth doing this sort of research if you care about how much you get back for selling your used clothing. Because the only person that's going to look out for your best interests is yourself, not the consigment shop. The consignment shops only care about their profits. They also might sell your clothes for too cheap. Cheap always sells faster than pricing the items at a higher price.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:12 PM

240 posts, read 1,286,936 times
Thanks, I think I will just donate them to Goodwill.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:37 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,913,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe View Post
Thanks, I think I will just donate them to Goodwill.
That might be the best idea. I've been in a Plato's closet (looking around). When I saw how the employee's treated those bringing in clothes, I left. They took great pleasure in making the customer feel like trash and the clothes they were looking to get money for, out to be rags (when they weren't). It was pathetic. Not a place I'd spend my money at. JMO.

If you opt to do the Ebay way.. sell them in "lots". Like multiple items in one auction. From experience, they sell better that way than an individual item will.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:14 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,667,899 times
I tried to take some clothes to them a while back as well but they refused me too. At first I was shocked because a lot of what I had was high end designer labels including several pairs of Armani pants that were gorgeous and in great shape. But they were not interested. Maybe because they cater to a younger crowd? I don't know but their loss is Goodwills gain.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:31 PM

347 posts, read 1,092,677 times
I asked them few months ago, and they said my clothes had to be brand name and no more that a year old at most. Else she said it will be out of fashion, and they can't sell it. Whatever!!! A lot of stuff I saw in there seems like they were never in fashion!
Anyway... I plan to donate the clothes to a women's shelter... just need to find one that will take them.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:26 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,844,978 times
You can try it; my wife brought a box of clothes there and they took maybe less than half. Probably all were Express, Limited, or AE. If the clothes are a few seasons out of style, or are in even a bit of rough shape they aren't taking them, and why should they.

However, she almost always finds stuff to buy and at cheap prices too. Now and again she finds brand new items (probably were mfg overstock).

Old 10-12-2008, 05:37 PM

809 posts, read 2,876,594 times
I've had ONE good experience where they took almost ALL my clothes and I got like $70 bucks (which I thought was AWESOME!) and I've had one so so experience where they took like half and gave me like $40 bucks. And one BAD experience where they took almost nothing and I only got like $7.

It all depends on the opinion of the person looking at your clothes. One persons opinion may differ from anothers. It's WORTH a shot to just TRY, if worse comes to worse you can say no thanks and walk out if they offer you jack squat. I really don't care how they talk to me or act towards me (They can act as snotty as they want to) because in the end of the day THEY work at Platos closet, and I can go home and never have to step inside that store again.... hehe

Old 11-27-2008, 09:00 PM

9 posts, read 170,966 times
Hardly take anything, and if they do, they'll give you like a whopping 5 dollars. Your better off just donating unless you're really straped for cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty