Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:16 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
It depends on your interpretation of "fashion". Fashion to me is about looking good as cheap as you can.
That's "smart fashion".
The initial post was not specifically about "smart fashion".

The OP's first initial post stated:

Quote:
Let's spend pretend money...here are the rules:
1) you have to spend it on yourself!
2) you have to spend it all!

3) no tax, you get the whole $1000!
Your reply didn't answer the OP's questions.

I have no issues with purchasing second hand items, but why bother posting in a thread that specifically dicusses spending money? This thread was not about "How you would save money."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I have a fantastic wardrobe of all brand name clothes all from tag sales and the Salvation Army.

Just went to an estate sale recently and bought six beautiful Scottish cashmere sweaters for $8 each.

All brand new, still in their package, originally purchased in the 60s.
So why not answer the OP's specific questions with an answer such as:
"Drop $500 at various estate sales and another $500 at the Salvation Army"?!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:41 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
So why not answer the OP's specific questions with an answer such as:
"Drop $500 at various estate sales and another $500 at the Salvation Army"?!
Because I think spending that kind of money on clothes in times like these are foolish.

I would rather demonstrate to people that they can look good and have great clothes without running up their credit cards.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Because I think spending that kind of money on clothes in times like these are foolish.
So you're ok with spending that kind of money on clothes otherwise, just as long as it's not during bad economic times???

Quote:
I would rather demonstrate to people that they can look good and have great clothes without running up their credit cards.
Do you truly think you've demonstrated to other posters how they can look good without spending a lot??

Why not start another thread with your recent finds & deals and asking others to participate?

Old 10-14-2008, 08:10 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,017 times
i won't believe it until i see a photo....

some people just won't play along

):

Old 10-14-2008, 08:35 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,946 times
Quote:

Me spending money is actually helping the economy.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:59 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Quote:
So you're ok with spending that kind of money on clothes otherwise, just as long as it's not during bad economic times???
Well, actually, I think it's best to save as much money as possible in the good times to prepare for the rotten times.

Quote:
Do you truly think you've demonstrated to other posters how they can look good without spending a lot??
I hope I've given at least one person food for thought.

Quote:
Why not start another thread with your recent finds & deals and asking others to participate?
I think I've already expressed all my opinions pretty clearly here.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:11 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,017 times
why hijack a fun thread w/ your level headed thoughts. the thread was on pretending. can't you muster up some childhood fun and "pretend"?? what's happened? you're so grown up now that you can't have any fun? i hope that's some food for thought. lighten up, have a little fun. spend some pretend money. goodness gracious. don't take it all so serious.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:09 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
There's nothing wrong with using your credit cards, provided that you pay the bills and are not in deficit spending.

Btw, that does sound like a good find on vintage cashmere sweaters, since the Scottish weaves are done extraordinarily well. Although, that's a one in a million find, and at today's prices, you'd be over $1000 without even trying for a good quality cashmere sweater (or two) that will last you for years.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:23 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Apparently some of the posters in this thread don't realize they're in a "Fashion Forum".

Some of these answers would be like me recommending a great butcher along with a wonderful meatloaf recipe in a vetegarian forum.
But I turn my nose up at "fashion". I see no reason to pay for overpriced items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty