Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 03:46 PM

809 posts, read 2,883,584 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever used an at home peel that is either glycolic acid? Lactic acid? Or salicylic acid???

I'm looking to buy a 25% solution of glycolic acid to use to help control the oilyness of my face and ALSO to help my CONSTANT breakouts (They aren't just normal zits, they're those HUGE cysts that are DEEP and BIG and PAINFULLLL and they only really appear along my forehead and chin/jawline)...... I"m 25 and prior to the age of 24 I NEVER had any major problems with my skin. Then suddenly I hit 24 and my face EXPLODED!!!! (Like I was going through puberty!) Ever since I turned 24 I haven't had ONE day go by that I have COMPLETELY clear skin.

I wanted to know if anyone out there with acne prone skin has had good luck with any of these kinds of acid peels (Particularly if you use any AT home acid peels)....... I've read that Glycolic acid is the best kind and also works WONDERS for acne prone skin (since it's effects are essentially to "unglue" the layer of dead skin cells from the healthy ones which ends up keeping your face clear, which prevents pores from being clogged)...

I ordered a 35% lactic acid/ 25% glycolic acid solution from Amazon for myself (I also got a pH skin balancing toner)..... I'm hoping this helps my ridiculous mess of a face!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 05:50 PM

532 posts, read 2,844,419 times
I no longer have acne prone skin, however since early menopause the skin on my face absolutely will not slough-off naturally. The layers continue to build and my skin gets "congested". I get cysts and rock-hard lumps under the surface unless I routinely and AGGRESSIVELY slough-off the top layer.

I use an acid by DCL (Dermatologic Cosmetic Laboratories) "AHA Revitalizing Lotion" 4 oz for about $14. It's an acid peel. I use the 20% glycolic acid. I did a lot of research and found that they produce a very high quality spa product which may be had a some great prices. I apply it at night fairly liberally and try to let it soak in before I go to bed so that it doesn't get all over my pillow. It can seep into your eye and lip area and causes burning (eyes) and my lips sometimes peel. I've awoken many a morning to puffy and burning eyes and cracked lips. I'm terribly aggressive with my skin. In addition to the acid treatments I use a home microdermabrasion and scrub to keep the skin peeling. I do this at the most 4 times a year for two weeks and at the least, once a year. It's cheaper than going to the clinic for a chemical peel.

My skin can get red (like a bad sunburn), raw and stings, but the results are phenomenal (soft and smooth like a baby's bottom) and long lasting.

BE VERY CAREFUL starting out as you can damage/tramatize your skin and then get cold sores! Particularly around the mouth. And they can leave scars. Oh, stay out of the sun and use a strong sunscreen. New or treated skin can burn easily and can discolor (hyperpigmentation??) Don't let your skin dry out, use plenty of gentle moisturizer.

Last edited by cstleddy; 11-08-2008 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Glycolic acid

Old 11-09-2008, 12:02 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,249,782 times
Try washing with a alpha hydroxy face wash.

The skin starts to slow down its renewal method at your age. Usually its a bit later but can be brought on by poor diet, smoking, BC/post baby

Its time to change your make-up and skincare to something different that includes daily exfoliations.
Take fish oil and vitamin C pills

Old 11-09-2008, 12:36 PM

291 posts, read 1,074,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
Has anyone here ever used an at home peel that is either glycolic acid? Lactic acid? Or salicylic acid???

I'm looking to buy a 25% solution of glycolic acid to use to help control the oilyness of my face and ALSO to help my CONSTANT breakouts (They aren't just normal zits, they're those HUGE cysts that are DEEP and BIG and PAINFULLLL and they only really appear along my forehead and chin/jawline)...... I"m 25 and prior to the age of 24 I NEVER had any major problems with my skin. Then suddenly I hit 24 and my face EXPLODED!!!! (Like I was going through puberty!) Ever since I turned 24 I haven't had ONE day go by that I have COMPLETELY clear skin.

I wanted to know if anyone out there with acne prone skin has had good luck with any of these kinds of acid peels (Particularly if you use any AT home acid peels)....... I've read that Glycolic acid is the best kind and also works WONDERS for acne prone skin (since it's effects are essentially to "unglue" the layer of dead skin cells from the healthy ones which ends up keeping your face clear, which prevents pores from being clogged)...

I ordered a 35% lactic acid/ 25% glycolic acid solution from Amazon for myself (I also got a pH skin balancing toner)..... I'm hoping this helps my ridiculous mess of a face!

I've been using Makeup Artist's Choice lactic acid and glycolic acid peels for the past year and think they're great! I do the peels weekly, alternating 40%glycolic and 40% lactic acid each week. Last Monday I finally decided to try the 12.5% TCA peel that's been sitting in my medicine cabinet for a year. TCA is supposed to provide a deeper peel, but so far I only have some very, very minor flaking I think next time I will try another layer. But anyway, feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Be sure to follow the directions to the letter and start SLOW! Happy peeling!

Old 11-09-2008, 12:58 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,441,886 times
Quote:

You need to go to a dermatologist. I don't think glycolic acid is enough to solve your problem and you want to be very careful to avoid scarring.

I've been using glycolic acid, anywhere from 10-20% in a gel base for years. Too much can irritate your skin. I was not aware you could get anything higher than 20 percent online.

Anyhow, you need a doctor.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:25 AM

809 posts, read 2,883,584 times
OK, I got my Glycolic/Lactic acid yesterday, did the peel last night (along with a pH balancer) and we'll see how well it goes! I can already feel a difference in my skin, it's WAY more smooth feeling. I can also SEE a difference too! I wish I'd known about this stuff LONG ago........ ok...... at least two years ago (When I started breaking out)...... I'm only 25 for crying out loud!

:P I hope if I keep doing these at home peels once a week that my face really starts to clear up and look A LOT better

Old 11-13-2008, 01:48 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,987,564 times
Sounds like you should go to a Dermotologist--there is medication that can make a HUGE difference with bad acne.
You don't want to damage your face--if the doctor says to use it, give it a try, but don't start treating yourself until you know if this is good for you!

Old 09-13-2009, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 6,307 times
I was using 30% glycolic acid once a week, but now use Dead Sea Salt. There is a 'glue' that holds dead skin cells together on your skin, and the salt desolves that. The salt also has high mineral content that is very good for you. I am 50 years old and am constantly defending that since I look much younger than that. I desolve 2 tablespoons of the salt in a small amount of distilled hot water and mix it into my clay mask (4 oz jar) Leave mask on for 20 minutes, 3-4 times a week. You can also mix it into your cleanser. If you research the Dead Sea, you will be amazed. I also bathe in it once a week, 2 cups to hot bath and soak 20 minutes. This stuff is amazing for acne and wrinkles!!! You can get it in bulk for great price on Ebay. I have been making cleansers, masks and bath salts for my family, and they want more and more. It really is amazing stuff.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:01 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
Hope you are still happy with the peel.

I would also recommend you see a derm and investigate laser treatments. I was very prone to breakouts in the chin area. I had laser treatments that faded all the past damage and stopped the breakouts completely. Once a week or so, I do glycolic acid but I am much older than you and do it to try and avoid wrinkling up.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:02 PM

947 posts, read 1,642,707 times
Quote:

I had the exact same problem and have peels done to keep in under control. I do strongly encourage you to see a dermatologist before you try anything. The products they use are better and of course they are trained professionals as opposed to doing it yourself. You can do a lot of damage if you apply too much, leave it on too long, etc.

The product my dermatologist uses is Refinity by Cosmoderm. I absolutely love it. At first I went every 4 weeks. Skin peeled a bit at the beginning. Now I only have to go once every 3-4 months. I don;t have an acne problem anymore and it reduced the size and appearance of any acne scars or removed them completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty