U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-11-2008, 02:13 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,972,713 times

Advertisements

Hi -
My half-sister is 79 (looks barely 60!) but she'd like to be given some anti-aging skin care products for her birthday/Xmas. Her cheek area is getting a bit "crepey" and it is bothering her a lot.
I don't recall what Consumer Reports said a few years ago...I think they recommended the Regenerist line? Or was it L'oreal's?
Anyway...I'm not looking to spend a real fortune, and besides, she'd be buying it herself if she likes it afterward, so I'm thinking more drugstore line or affordable department store.

I have given her some Philosophy Purity cleanser to use on her face rather than soap, but I haven't gotten into any other products with her.
Recommendations please!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 02:49 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,552,811 times
Hi. What an interesting question! I have two suggestions.

First is taking a daily 1000 or 1200 mg capsule of salmon oil or fish oil forever. Not only does it make the skin softer, but it also helps to prevent stroke and heart attack, reduces bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol, improves circulation and cellular regeneration, and is a powerful antioxidant (Omega 3).

Second, she seems to be old enough to be reminded that it's never the wrapping that matters but the contents. So I would get her a copy of Gary Zukav's book The Seat Of The Soul, which is not about religion.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 17,055 times
HI! WHat a great gift idea!! I am a Mary Kay consultant, and I would love to help out!! I realize that the Mary Kay line is a slight more expensive than drug store brand-but-Mary Kay is the leading anti aging brand!! I would love to give you some more information, show you statistics and let you try out the product for free! I would also work out some type of holiday spa package and give you a discount for your purchase! Let's at least chat! Please to contact me at Cosmetics: Makeup and Cosmetics by Mary Kay

Old 11-11-2008, 03:14 PM

973 posts, read 2,113,887 times
You're going to get a lot of different answers but she will need to decide what works best with her skin type.

A previous poster suggested a Fish oil supplement (omega 3) and it is a great idea. I use them also. Fish Oil supplements CAN give you the "fish burps" so be prepared. Flaxseed oil or supplements also help the skin and hair.

I would also suggest a vitamin B complex supplement since it targets skin, hair and nails.

Drink loads of water to stay hydrated from the inside out.

As to your original question........I am a HUGE fan of "Clinique" eye cream. It is a little more expensive than a drug store brand but a little goes a long way and it makes my skin feel very soft and dewy for HOURS. I use it on my entire face.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:12 PM

8,424 posts, read 24,425,211 times
I tried the Regenerist cream in a sample I got free in the mail...It broke me out in a prickley rash. It burned..I wouldnt get anything from that line. It was the worst cosmetic reaction i had since I tried on my mother's electric blue eyeshadow in the 70's. That gave me hives...lol
I read about it and it has high concentrations of silicon that go into your skin filling lines...It is for the skin problem she hates...But if you do get that one..Watch for a rash.

Speaking of samples..Have you ever looked at the lots of samples on ebay?
You can get some interesting stuff like a grab bag and a full size of whatever product you think would work. It would be such a fun gift bag.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:15 PM

1,999 posts, read 6,603,486 times
Consumer Reports suggested the Regenerist line. I also did lots of homework on the net a year ago and consumers also suggested that brand.
However, you can check Consumer Reports yourself by logging on for $5 for one month--and you can cancel after that month--and check ANYTHING you want (i.e., tvs, makeup, investments, whatever Consumer Reports has covered). I do this when making any big purchase like a car or washing machine or dishwasher. It's the best deal in town!
I use the Regenerist moisture lotion in the red jar, and have never had a reaction at all from it. I like it.
Also, the new red jar (also) by Olay called ProX I love. I can tell the difference when I use it, also, so I use them both at the same time at night.
I'm 64, have decent skin for my age and am open to trying anything that works myself, and more than open to suggestions from board members.
Hanging onto that youth by a toenail....ha!

Old 03-31-2009, 05:56 PM

5,604 posts, read 9,525,629 times
Although I'm not in that age group (your sister) - I love the Regenerist products, Avon Anew also gets great reviews.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:37 PM

91 posts, read 30,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Although I'm not in that age group (your sister) - I love the Regenerist products, Avon Anew also gets great reviews.
I use the Regenerist also. I can tell when I miss a night without the cream. I use all three steps and I like the way my skin looks and feels.
Has anyone tried the new Avon Anew Dermafill? I think I'll order some and see if it's worth all the hype it's been given.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:50 PM

5,604 posts, read 9,525,629 times
I'd be interested in the Anew products also.

OP - I think if I were you I would go with Olay Regenerist or Definity products for your sister.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:23 AM

16 posts, read 87,857 times
Any Arbonne girls out there? Love the products - love the 45-day guarantee.

Feel free to contact me if you are interested:
http://TotalBenefits.myarbonne.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty