Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 03:32 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,389,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I worship my Frye shoes/boots. I have two pair of "Campus" boots (one banana and brown), one set of gladiator sandals (brown), "Tate" slides, and a pair of "dress up" heels called Ingrid (I think) also in brown. I wear the Campus boots the most during fall and winter. I usually just wear them with jeans. I've been eye balling the harness boots too in dark brown... me like... I have more boots (Frye and others )than tennis shoes or sandals. I don't like the Frye sandals as much do to the bottoms wearing out really quickly (even though the tops look new).

Here's the website I use to find sales online... (check out the 50% off link).

Frye Clothing & Accessories at Designer Apparel
I'm a bit of a snob in that I only buy the traditional made in U.S.A. Frye boots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 03:39 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,449,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I'm a bit of a snob in that I only buy the traditional made in U.S.A. Frye boots.
I think they are made in Brazil now aren't they? I was disappointed when I found out they weren't really made in the US anymore... (where do you get U.S. made Frye's???).

Doh! I just checked out the website and you're right - some are made in the U.S. and other's aren't... what's up with that? Thanks for posting that, now I'm aware. Okay, now I'm buying the U.S. made Frye's - I like the "Engineer" boots (made in the USA)... sweet...

Old 11-18-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I think they are made in Brazil now aren't they? I was disappointed when I found out they weren't really made in the US anymore... (where do you get U.S. made Frye's???).

Doh! I just checked out the website and you're right - some are made in the U.S. and other's aren't... what's up with that? Thanks for posting that, now I'm aware. Okay, now I'm buying the U.S. made Frye's - I like the "Engineer" boots (made in the USA)... sweet...
That's right, the traditional ones, such as Campus (the long, not the short), the Harness (I think) and engineer are made in the U.S. They are usually more expensive but a bit better quality.

Frye is an American company and I never felt right buying their boots made in China. If you get a good quality boot, it will last years. I took my Campus to the cobbler and he even said, "Those are really nice boots."

The Engineer boots with the round toe are really awesome looking. They are great with jeans and skirts. My only problem was they were a bit too big in the ankle for me, so my foot slipped too much. But I always have that problem with shoes. Other women don't seem to mind. They take a while to break in but the soles on the shoes last forever.

The soles on my Campus are leather soles. I like leather soles, but I had to get the cobbler to put plastic bottoms on them so they last longer -- and so they don't slip and slide.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:10 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,449,560 times
Quote:
That's right, the traditional ones, such as Campus (the long, not the short), the Harness (I think) and engineer are made in the U.S. They are usually more expensive but a bit better quality.

Frye is an American company and I never felt right buying their boots made in China. If you get a good quality boot, it will last years. I took my Campus to the cobbler and he even said, "Those are really nice boots."

The Engineer boots with the round toe are really awesome looking. They are great with jeans and skirts. My only problem was they were a bit too big in the ankle for me, so my foot slipped too much. But I always have that problem with shoes. Other women don't seem to mind.
The Campus (I have the tall ones) are really nice - the whole construction just does it for me. I wear "hiking" socks made out of soft spun wool which keeps my feet dry (prevents blisters) and it thickens up my ankle area to prevent that up and down sliding action while wearing them (I can't stand that). If you haven't tried the hiking socks already give 'em a try (I have wide feet and small ankles). I'll be obsessing over the harness and engineer boots now... There's not too many brands that get me going... but Frye's are one of them.

The boots ARE slippery on concrete aren't they... I like the leather soles but I go outside and scuff around on the ground (doesn't help much) and walk with a heavy heel. As much as I wear them I should go and have the soles altered. My other frye's that have the rubber wear out REALLY fast (the one's without the normal leather bottoms). I won't be buying those anymore...

Old 11-19-2008, 01:20 PM

I got my Frye boots today. They are the BELTED harness. (I think I called them something else earlier).

Anyhow, they are gorgeous but the left boot is defective. It seems to have some kind of nodule of glue in the fabric on the toe area above the toe. I can hardly fit my foot in the boot and it hurts my toe immensely. Now I have to send them back and reorder. What a pain, literally.

I'm so depressed.

Frye Belted Harness 12R [Reviews Page 2] - Free Shipping

P.S. I read the review on Zappos. Many say the boot runs big. I thought the BELTED harness was true to size. The leather is soft like butter. Shoe seems a little snug in the toe area, but wearable. Loose in heel but not too loose. Overall a GORGEOUS boot, well made, and much better looking than the standard harness. (The quality leather is better too.) Too bad about the flaw! I bought these at Shoes.com for $234. Free returns.

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 11-19-2008 at 01:28 PM..

Old 11-19-2008, 02:18 PM

Actually, my Frye boots always seem to be a little big in the heel. Are boots always big in the heel? I guess they are. But at least the Harness are not so floppy as the engineer.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:10 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,734,906 times
Quote:
Actually, my Frye boots always seem to be a little big in the heel. Are boots always big in the heel? I guess they are. But at least the Harness are not so floppy as the engineer.
The shop where I bought my boots said the right fit in Frye is slightly loose in the heel.

WHY I don't know.

Mine are slightly tight across the "knuckles" (whatever that part of the foot is called), but I dropped them off to have the bottom rubber-soled and they are going to stretch that part a bit.

I just realized I need to make tassel zipper pulls for my boots. Oooooo.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:34 PM

Why do you think they are loose in the heel?

Are all boots loose in the heel or just motorcycle, western, dirt kicking types?

Old 11-03-2013, 04:36 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,029,280 times
So are the new boots worth the money and last a long time? If I'm spending $300, they better not crap out for 5 years! hahaha

Old 11-03-2013, 04:51 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,696,368 times
I got my Carson short boots in cognac last year and I love them. I went boot crazy after seeing all the Denim & Supply models wearing boots. I bought the 12R harness in dark brown and black. Warm, sturdy and comfortable. I have a pair of Tony Lama cowboy boots DH bought me for my 20th birthday. Those boots turn 30 on Tuesday. I wore them to my Dr. appointment last Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty