Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 08:46 AM

64 posts, read 185,547 times

Advertisements

I was just gonna buy regular sandals but it seems like most others my age are wearing the flip flops these days and a friend of mine said I'd look good in them so I figured I'd buy a pair. I haven't had much luck finding a comfortable pair that is also stylish (in the past I bought cheap ones from Target, Old Navy, Payless)... Can anyone help? Here are the ones that I'm considering:

Quiksilver
Quiksilver Renovation 2 Sandal at Zappos.com (http://www.zappos.com/product/7520021/color/26517 - broken link)

Chaco
Chaco Fuse EcoTread at Zappos.com (http://www.zappos.com/product/7385754/color/66375 - broken link)

American Eagle
Men's AE Stitched Leather Flip Flop - American Eagle Outfitters

Reef
Leather Smoothy - Multiview

Sperry
Sperry Top-Sider Santa Cruz Thong at Zappos.com

Would any of these be worth buying? Are there any good less expensive options?

Last edited by Gus0123; 06-28-2009 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 11:16 AM

809 posts, read 3,568,347 times
Reef's are my favorite. They are very comfortable. If they made more pretty styles for women, it would be the only flip flop brand I'd buy.
But for men, they have a lot of stylist options. I have a lot of male friends that wear them and they look great.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
Reef's are my favorite. They are very comfortable. If they made more pretty styles for women, it would be the only flip flop brand I'd buy.
But for men, they have a lot of stylist options. I have a lot of male friends that wear them and they look great.
I think I'm going to order the Reef Sultans

Reef Reef Contour Sultan - Free Shipping (http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7502061/c/19.html - broken link)

What color do you think would go best with khaki shorts, bronze (the one on the left) or natural (on the right)?
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a comfortable pair of flip flops-reef_brown.jpg   Looking for a comfortable pair of flip flops-reef_natural.jpg  

Old 06-28-2009, 09:25 PM

161 posts, read 581,184 times
I thought everyone these days wore Rainbows? Or are those "out" this year?

Old 06-29-2009, 08:13 AM

179 posts, read 547,791 times
I like either the Reef ones or the Am Eagle ones. Both of those colors will go great with Khaki shorts. Buy the darker ones, they'll hide dirt better :-)

Old 06-29-2009, 11:45 AM

I like the darker ones. Consider getting blacks ones too. A pair of brown and a pair of black is all you need to match just about any outfit.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:01 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Same here. LOVE LOVE LOVE my Reef's. They are like walking on clouds. I can wear those all day at the amusement parks or wherever and be on my feet for 12 hours and they not be hurting and sore. Granted the traditional Reef's are not that fancy or stylish but they do offer support and are very comfy. I even have a couple of pairs w/ the bottle openers in the sole of them, lol. My husband and I both love our Reef's. I usually only wear them to the pool or at the beach and have pairs that match my swimsuits or to Six Flags or Disney parks for the day.

The pair of Reef's the OP showed are a lot more "stylish" than the typical Reef. You can buy them at many department stores. I know Dillard's has them in stock year round as well as some other smaller shoe stores.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl14256 View Post
I like either the Reef ones or the Am Eagle ones. Both of those colors will go great with Khaki shorts. Buy the darker ones, they'll hide dirt better :-)
Thanks for the suggestions, I will do that. I will probably go with the Reefs since I can try those on before buying. There is a Dick's sporting goods nearby but no American Eagle.

Quote:
I like the darker ones. Consider getting blacks ones too. A pair of brown and a pair of black is all you need to match just about any outfit.
Can you elaborate a little more? What shirt colors go best with brown and black? Thanks!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Same here. LOVE LOVE LOVE my Reef's. They are like walking on clouds. I can wear those all day at the amusement parks or wherever and be on my feet for 12 hours and they not be hurting and sore. Granted the traditional Reef's are not that fancy or stylish but they do offer support and are very comfy. I even have a couple of pairs w/ the bottle openers in the sole of them, lol. My husband and I both love our Reef's. I usually only wear them to the pool or at the beach and have pairs that match my swimsuits or to Six Flags or Disney parks for the day.

The pair of Reef's the OP showed are a lot more "stylish" than the typical Reef. You can buy them at many department stores. I know Dillard's has them in stock year round as well as some other smaller shoe stores.
Are the stylish Reefs just as comfortable as the typical ones? Or would I be sacrificing comfort for fashion so to speak?

So you think it's worth buying a couple of pairs? That's kinda pricey for a sandal but I'm willing to do it if they are really that great. I'd probably just buy one pair and see how they are before investing in another one.

Let's say that I buy Reefs....does that mean there's no need to invest in a walking sandal? They do seem to look better than walking sandals. There aren't too many occasions where I do "a lot" of walking but I'd rather stay away from the sneakers if I can get away with it.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus0123 View Post

Can you elaborate a little more? What shirt colors go best with brown and black? Thanks!
My rule of thumb: Wear black shoes with black or grey, brown shoes with brown or blue and either color shoes with all other colors.
So, with green, for example, you would wear either, unless it had a brown design or black design on it.
(Of course girls get more creative with shoe colors...LOL)

Assuming you wear khakis or jeans, I'm referring to the shirt color in the above rule.

I guess if you don't wear a lot of black, you really don't need a black pair. But it's good to have more than one pair because if you wear the same shoes everyday, they might get a little smelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty