Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 01:16 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times

Advertisements

I'm sitting here today in an expensive cashmere sweater amazed at all the pilling. All that money and it still pills!

Has anyone found a brand that does not pill?

Frustrated,

Woofers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 01:26 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Its how you care for it that affects the pilling.All wool pills a bit. I like to go with blends that have silk in them too and for some reason it seems to cut down on the pilling.

You should let wool air out between wears and avoid washing it as a whole piece. When its wash time go with dry cleaning over cold water hand wash. Provide or ask for your sweater to be put in a net.
If your dry cleaner doesnt know what that is, go to a different dry cleaner. Also make sure you dont go to one of those dry cleaners that re-use fluid...yech.

Store your sweaters folded with a cedar block in a box with silica packets. I save old shoe boxes for this.(silica packets are already in there! )

PS. Get a good garment brush to de-pill with. Never use those shavers

Last edited by pitt_transplant; 12-10-2008 at 01:59 PM..

Old 12-10-2008, 01:31 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
Ok--that's waaaaay too much trouble for a sweater! I'll stick with cotton!

Old 12-10-2008, 01:42 PM

Not really. I have sweaters that last for years. MY mohair J.Crew sweater will be turning 13 this x-mas and its still pitch black. I wouldn't get that out of a cotton one. And I sure as crap couldn't wear a cotton one outside as a jacket on a cool day. Wool is warm and lasts forever. Not to mention the way it holds color. I'm so glad I am not allergic to it.

Do you really think its that big of a deal to net and box a sweater?
Do you iron your clothing CB?

;P

Old 12-10-2008, 02:18 PM

I've only washed the sweater once, and I only wash by hand. Sorry, but no more dry cleaners for me. It is recommended to gently hand wash cashmere. I store it carefully in a protective container.

cb -- we can't wear cotton in this cold weather. It has to be wool.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:47 PM

I worked at a dry cleaners. (supervisor)

Why do you not do the dry cleaners? Chemicals?
Do you have one of those flat sweater dryers?

Old 12-10-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I worked at a dry cleaners. (supervisor)

Why do you not do the dry cleaners? Chemicals?
Do you have one of those flat sweater dryers?
I don't go because I can wash all my cashmere and wool by hand in the sink. It's easy, cheap, and recommended. In fact, I have some cashmere I bought at an estate sale. It's from Scotland, made in the 60s, and the tag specifically recommends hand washing.

I pat out the water, by wrapping it in a towel and stepping on it. Then I hang it over the towel to dry nice and flat, pretty much.

Besides, I don't wash my sweaters that often. Around the house, I wear cotton sweatshirts due to the animal fur, so when I come inside, off goes the sweater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty