Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 11:37 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times

Advertisements

Itchy Skin - Try a scrub with lavender. Get something that has real lavender oil. Not just a perfumed (synthetic). This year because of the heat in my apt I have had the one of those dry skin phases. I forgot about that annoying almost itch that you have all over from it even after you do everything to keep it from looking bad.

Anyway I got a real lavender oil type scrub and mixed it with my philosophy pumpkin spice muffin 3-1 and the suds just exploded when they combined.
And it really killed that post shave itch. It was so rich and creamy. I imagine mixing any salt scrub with a liquid soap would do this. Try it if you have the two sitting around.(liquid and a salt scrub)

I think I am going to keep lavender in the regular rotation . At least with this dry weather. My skin feels so balanced. When I put coconut oil on top it gives it a vanilla type smell almost and its very light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 11:23 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times
Lavender is a popular scent right now and I'm able to buy it in lotions and even Laundry Detergent! When I smelled the real thing (Lavender bush) it just wasn't the same. Actually it was kind of bitter smelling. Is Lavender Oil like that?

I have read that Lavender Oil has healing and preservative properties, so maybe that's how it's helping your dry, itchy skin?

I was thinking I could mix the Lavender Oil I purchase with Vanilla Oil and maybe that would take the edge off the bitterness?

Old 12-20-2008, 12:20 PM

Yes...vanilla totally mellows the musk of real lavender. Just adding it to the 3-1 mellowed the musk out and made it smooth. Since it was natural and didn't have a fixative the scent soften quite a bit post shower too.

I really want to get some real oil and make a scrub with coconut oil and vanilla food flavor to see what that would smell like. I would also like to try one with clove, vanilla and lavender.

I made the s.o. try it and he kept talking about it...LOL he is a blonde with sensitive dry skin and it helped him too. he is the person that has really bad winter itch.

If you want to get the real lavender oil in a scrub look at organic type brands. They usually have the real stuff in them.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:31 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
nice information pitt, thank you. I am also a blonde with sensitive dry skin, interesting correlation. I will have to try this stuff when im up at my parents. 0 degrees F with snow.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Yes...vanilla totally mellows the musk of real lavender. Just adding it to the 3-1 mellowed the musk out and made it smooth. Since it was natural and didn't have a fixative the scent soften quite a bit post shower too.

I really want to get some real oil and make a scrub with coconut oil and vanilla food flavor to see what that would smell like. I would also like to try one with clove, vanilla and lavender.

I made the s.o. try it and he kept talking about it...LOL he is a blonde with sensitive dry skin and it helped him too. he is the person that has really bad winter itch.

If you want to get the real lavender oil in a scrub look at organic type brands. They usually have the real stuff in them.
I'll try your suggestion of 3-1, which I'm assuming is 3 parts Lavender to 1 part Vanilla? Or the other way around? I'll repost back when I've reached success with the mixture.

I'm a blonde too with sensitive skin, so this thread is very helpful. Thanks!

Do you use Jojoba oil as the base for your scrub?

Old 12-20-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
I'll try your suggestion of 3-1, which I'm assuming is 3 parts Lavender to 1 part Vanilla? Or the other way around? I'll repost back when I've reached success with the mixture.

I'm a blonde too with sensitive skin, so this thread is very helpful. Thanks!

Do you use Jojoba oil as the base for your scrub?
The scrub I have now is a premade olive oil one with salt. But I mixed it with philosophy pumpkin spice muffin 3-1 soap. One pump of scrub and equal amt of soap. I have no idea what ratio you would use to mix it into a scrub...I havent looked that up yet.

But do get back with the good mix results because I would love to save money and make my own. Plus its just fun!

Old 12-20-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
The scrub I have now is a premade olive oil one with salt. But I mixed it with philosophy pumpkin spice muffin 3-1 soap. One pump of scrub and equal amt of soap. I have no idea what ratio you would use to mix it into a scrub...I havent looked that up yet.

But do get back with the good mix results because I would love to save money and make my own. Plus its just fun!
Here's a link for homemade salt scrub:
Salt Scrub Recipe

They don't use Jojoba but other oils like Almond (which I think is more expensive), and it doesn't contain any soap, but I don't see why you can't just add your favorite body wash to the mix.

This link has additional ideas for adding things other than salt for a homemade scrub:
Yummy Body Scrub Recipes

I wonder if the Lavender Oil would be enough of a preservative that you wouldn't have to refrigerate it?

I agree that it is fun and can save money too! Time for me to get creative.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:36 AM

894 posts, read 4,349,918 times
You can also use sugar as a scrub.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:18 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,457 times
I will try this. My skin gets sooo itchy and dry in the winter. Especially my legs!!!

thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty