Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:11 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,303 times

Advertisements

What do you define as a preppy style for men/women?

Name names, colors, and do tell whether you dress preppy.

I dress Preppy-Urbane: Ralph Lauren mixed with I.N.C/Kenneth Cole.

I am a guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 01:23 PM

631 posts, read 1,886,153 times
I love the Preppy style. Very classic. To me preppy is Rory Gilmore on Gilmore Girls. Her clothes were always so cute.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:51 PM

369 posts, read 1,960,529 times
I love the preppy look. Coming from CA to CT was like a dream come true, clothes wise! I like Ralph Lauren for sure. I also like a lot of stuff from Lands End, but more the classic pieces, not the dowdy ones. I love Khaki pants on men, and on women too if cut well. I love a cashmere sweater, a great coat. I think pink and green are fine for younger people, but find they are better separately once you pass a certain age. I love a pair of Nantucket red pants or bermudas. Anything J. Crew is good too - preppy but not stodgy. Loafers, ribbon belts, a great crisp, white shirt....all super in my book. I MUCH prefer the preppy look on guys to a more trendy look. I think a popped collar is hard to pull off myself, but have seen people do it that wear it well. Nothing like a strand of pearls and a Fair Isle sweater for women.

I think the older I get - 43 - the more I have translated preppiness into a more classic style. In many ways I find they are interchangeable, at least for me.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:41 PM

109 posts, read 292,644 times
J. Crew is probably the best example. I love that store even though it can get a bit pricey with some things.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:43 PM

93 posts, read 288,004 times
Are Hollister and Abercrombie considered preppy for younger kids (16-21)?

Old 09-18-2008, 05:28 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,529 times
To me, I think Abercrombie and Hollister would be considered a more current version of preppy for that age group. I know both my daughters wear it. I think it is how you wear it and what you choose to wear it with that can either preppy it up or down.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-OH View Post
I am not so sure. They are sporty-preppy hybrid if that makes sense.

I like mixing the dark urban gear with the prep favorites. My Ralph Lauren shirts last a long time (3-5 years) and Kenneth Cole (while not preppy) is very clean and fitting.

As for preppy fashions, Wikipedia says:

Brooks Brothers
J. Press
J.Crew
J. Mclaughlin
Polo Ralph Lauren
Lacoste, Vineyard Vines
Lilly Pulitzer
L.L. Bean
Patagonia

In my opinion Brooks Brothers suits are terrible for slim men, I prefer the Euro cuts.

J Press ROCKS! J Crew is pretty good (have to visit their outlet) and Polo RL is the standard of my wardrobe.

I also wanted to add that I think Rockport and Bostonians have very preppy men's shoe collections and Rockports are very comfortable.

Please share your thoughts.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:44 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-OH View Post

Abercrombie and Hollister are not preppy at all. They just say, look at me, I like buying what everyone else thinks is cool. The main reason why Abercrombie, Hollister, and American Eagle are not preppy is because they have logos plastered EVERYWHERE. Major no no.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Abercrombie and Hollister are not preppy at all. They just say, look at me, I like buying what everyone else thinks is cool. The main reason why Abercrombie, Hollister, and American Eagle are not preppy is because they have logos plastered EVERYWHERE. Major no no.
That is a good observation. Prep fashion being mass marketed. Most prep clothes should not have any logos, if anything, they should be monogrammed with initials.

Discretion is the key.

I was perusing the LL Bean online catalog for fleece..It's such a crisp fall day in New England!

Old 09-22-2008, 10:26 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,859 times
hollister and A&F are california style. Polo/Ralph Lauren is as new england preppy as it gets. Layered polo's, newport pants and boat shoes. aviators, whale belts ect.
And true preppy style is w/o popped collars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty