Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 07:39 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,149,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I had not seen them, went back just now to look. You're right, your hair looks pretty clean Still, the look is something I only find attractive on a small child - just not professional looking for the work place in my opinion. I have no "expectations" for anyone's hair other than it be clean, neat and styled for an adult in the workplace.
Hair standards change with ethnicity and hair texture. The "expectations" that many Caucasians set for hair aren't possible with black hair unless harsh chemicals are used. There are many who will go through all this just to fit the standards of another race. It is my opinion that they should not. If blacks were the majority in the US and their hairstyles were considered superior, there would be non-blacks adding all kinds of things to their hair (beeswax, dread wax, etc) just to get it to have the "hold" that black hair does. Without it, they couldn't maintain the hairstyles that blacks do. Not only that, but that wax builds up in your hair. That definitely isn't good for anybody's hair, regardless of race. The point is, nobody should feel like they have to conform and accept something unnatural and potentially harmful to them. For blacks, the most natural styles are afros, fades, braids, twists, and dreadlocks. Anything else you see requires chemicals. And no offense, but you're in no position to decide what is and isn't a hairstyle for "adults". It's all about ethnicity. What you're essentially saying is that people should damage their hair to fit your "standards". There are many blacks who find out the hard way that over time, these harsh chemicals cause severe damage. Not only that, but many of them lose hair and it never grows back. Would you care to pitch in towards hair replacement products for these people? If so, then I'm sure some of them will gladly accept your "standards". Until then, all of us who decide to stay natural don't care what you think.

I also find it interesting how you say things like dreads or cornrows aren't professional. I've seen more college educated blacks with dreads and cornrows than blacks with just a diploma or vocational education. The original post (that I started) was about dating people with dreadlocks. You don't like them, that's fine, but don't bring that ignorant crap about professionalism and maturity into it. You don't set the standards for black hair. We don't set the standards for white hair. Same applies to all other races.

And for the record, if somebody's dreads smell, that says more about them than it does about dreads. I always get complimented on how mine look and smell. I keep mine very clean and nice looking.

Signed,
A non-professional, unclean, childish hairstyle wearing, black who chooses to stay natural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I have never dated anyone with dreadlocks. But I love them and I wouldn't have a problem dating someone who wore them.

I don't know how they're done and I really don't know where they actually originated (the common answer is Jamaica but I have never verified that). I don't think everyone can pull it off though.
There is evidence that people wore dreadlocks as early as ancient Egyptian times. There have been many references to locked hair in Hinduism. It is also widely accepted among historians that many figures in the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) wore locks. Jamaicans are the ones who introduced them to the people of America. Through reggae music and other things.

As for how dreadlocks are started, this will help you. how to make Dreadlocks, dreads, dreadlock product reviews, detailed information, rasta

Old 12-29-2008, 08:51 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,382,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Hair standards change with ethnicity and hair texture. The "expectations" that many Caucasians set for hair aren't possible with black hair unless harsh chemicals are used. There are many who will go through all this just to fit the standards of another race. It is my opinion that they should not. If blacks were the majority in the US and their hairstyles were considered superior, there would be non-blacks adding all kinds of things to their hair (beeswax, dread wax, etc) just to get it to have the "hold" that black hair does. Without it, they couldn't maintain the hairstyles that blacks do. Not only that, but that wax builds up in your hair. That definitely isn't good for anybody's hair, regardless of race. The point is, nobody should feel like they have to conform and accept something unnatural and potentially harmful to them. For blacks, the most natural styles are afros, fades, braids, twists, and dreadlocks. Anything else you see requires chemicals. And no offense, but you're in no position to decide what is and isn't a hairstyle for "adults". It's all about ethnicity. What you're essentially saying is that people should damage their hair to fit your "standards". There are many blacks who find out the hard way that over time, these harsh chemicals cause severe damage. Not only that, but many of them lose hair and it never grows back. Would you care to pitch in towards hair replacement products for these people? If so, then I'm sure some of them will gladly accept your "standards". Until then, all of us who decide to stay natural don't care what you think.

I also find it interesting how you say things like dreads or cornrows aren't professional. I've seen more college educated blacks with dreads and cornrows than blacks with just a diploma or vocational education. The original post (that I started) was about dating people with dreadlocks. You don't like them, that's fine, but don't bring that ignorant crap about professionalism and maturity into it. You don't set the standards for black hair. We don't set the standards for white hair. Same applies to all other races.

And for the record, if somebody's dreads smell, that says more about them than it does about dreads. I always get complimented on how mine look and smell. I keep mine very clean and nice looking.

Signed,
A non-professional, unclean, childish hairstyle wearing, black who chooses to stay natural.
You may think my opinion is ignorant crap, but I am not the only one with these opinions - they have as much validity as yours.

I am also not trying to say HOW any person of color should wear their hair at all. I have only said that corn rows and dreds look best on children, in my opinion.

Just because you've seen "more college educated blacks with dreads and cornrows than blacks with just a diploma or vocational education" doesn't change the fact they look funny on adults to a lot of people.

My question was regarding whether wearing these styles would somehow be holding certain people back (from advancing in their careers) because of this less professional look. I'd be willing to bet it is happening (doesn't make it right, I'm just saying I bet it happens).

I'm all about being natural myself - never dye my own hair or perm it either, so I can relate to what you are saying about not wanting all those chemicals on your body I have black friends who manage to wear their hair in styles that don't require chemicals at all.

You asked in your original post "are dreadlocks a turn off to you". I have simply answered your question and explained the reason for saying "YES". This is not a race thing, though you have tried to turn it into one. For the record, I am turned off by the white man mullet too.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
My question was regarding whether wearing these styles would somehow be holding certain people back (from advancing in their careers) because of this less professional look.
And I guess you just happen to be the dictator of what is professional looking and what isn't.
Quote:
This is not a race thing, though you have tried to turn it into one. For the record, I am turned off by the white man mullet too.
Race is relevant, especially when the topic is natural hairstyles. What's natural changes with race.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:08 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,630,687 times
I think they are unattractive and dirty looking. I would not date someone with dreads because I do not date black men or men with darker complexions.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
And I guess you just happen to be the dictator of what is professional looking and what isn't.

Race is relevant, especially when the topic is natural hairstyles. What's natural changes with race.
roll your eyes all you want - I am not dictator of anything, I'm just a messenger of a message you don't like. You can disagree all you want, but when you don't get that promotion you might be hoping for one day you might want to consider that a less professional look contributed to that.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:31 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,630,687 times
Quote:
roll your eyes all you want - I am not dictator of anything, I'm just a messenger of a message you don't like. You can disagree all you want, but when you don't get that promotion you might be hoping for one day you might want to consider that a less professional look contributed to that.
As a business owner here, I agree with you. I would not hire someone with dreads to represent my company. I will take the slightly less experienced individual with a clean cut look over the one who does not.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
roll your eyes all you want - I am not dictator of anything, I'm just a messenger of a message you don't like.
More like the messenger of a message filled with ignorance.
Quote:
You can disagree all you want, but when you don't get that promotion you might be hoping for one day you might want to consider that a less professional look contributed to that.
I'm a bartender who is soon going to college. Majoring in fashion design. Thank the lucky stars I won't have to work for uptight, ignorant, closed-minded "professionals".

By the way, the guy who hired me complimented my locks and asked how I kept them looking so good.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
More like the messenger of a message filled with ignorance.

I'm a bartender who is soon going to college. Majoring in fashion design. Thank the lucky stars I won't have to work for uptight, ignorant, closed-minded "professionals".

By the way, the guy who hired me complimented my locks and asked how I kept them looking so good.
Again, I am only relaying a message of the reality of the workplace - you are free to ignore it, though that would tend me make you the "ignorant" one.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Again, I am only relaying a message of the reality of the workplace - you are free to ignore it, though that would tend me make you the "ignorant" one.
Yes, and I'm sure the fashion workplace would be full of intolerance towards people with hairstyles considered unorthodox (despite the fact that they predate many modern hairstyles).

Working in IT, advertising, marketing, etc is very different from working artistic jobs. Have you acknowledged that? Remember though, I'm the ignorant one.

My point still stands. You don't set the standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty