Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 06:59 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
"Fashion" is in the eye of the beholder.

That being said, I think Americans are less trendy-conscious and care more about value than the latest thing.
I think "fashion" is often in what magazines the eye has beheld over the past few months. I would say that many European urban women dress more tastefully and carefully than those in the U.S., though not necessarily fashionably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 09:24 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Personally, I like to be "in fashion" I seek out a few carefully selected trends every season. But I generally dress pretty preppy/classic with a little bit of an edge.

For example this season, I went to look for bright colors (neon trim and so on). I bought a cardigan with neon yellow, and a shirt dress in bright pink. These are classic shapes.

I like to "dress up" I find people take me more seriously when I am dressed nicer. People are also more polite and respectful. And I prefer that feeling.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:53 PM

221 posts, read 282,929 times
Quote:
Others have alluded to it but what really makes my head shake is women who obviously spend a lot of time getting all made up and doing their hair before going out, and then down below put on ugly old white New Balance sneakers, old jeans or shapeless track pants, and an old ratty sweatshirt with pictures of wolves or some other tacky motif on it.
Yah, especially when they have on expensive jewelry and carry a designer (or maybe a knockoff) purse.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:07 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanSoSuave View Post
Yeah, I do agree with everyone who says most Americans don't care how they look outside their work cloths. Here in Denver, most folk either dress relaxed, wanna be "Cali-Like" = The typical short shorts, tank tops, and flip flops. It do got some of trendy parts. In larger cities like Chi-Town and L.A fashion is more cared about.

To everyone who say that fashion is for people who want to feel better about them selves... Well thanks for realizing the obvious. Having a style that looks good gives you a confidence boost. "Style is in the eye of the beholder" is true but that doesnt give you a excuse to be a scrub. My point is, Fashion helps express yourself, doesnt mean you have to be a total fanatic.
What 'looks good' is a personal judgement. I've seen plenty of 'fashion' which looks utterly ugly to me but if the wearer likes it, good for them for being themselves.

I wear knee high boots, a couple of pairs lace up, with jeans, and assorted sweaters and tops in the winter. I wear tank tope with skinny straps in the summer, with shorts inside and jeans outside, and sometimes boots then (my feet hurt in sandles). I AM expressing myself. I would feel utterly like I was in a costume that I didn't want to wear in 'fashion'. So if fashion is for people who want to feel better about themselves, well I wear fashion.

It IS entirely up to you what makes YOU feel better and more like the one inside. My favorite is when I go to a fannish gathering and can express my innerself in what the outside world considers a costume but I consider to be the true me.

I'm not out to impress anyone. If someone has negative thoughts about my normal dress, then as it is who I am I don't need to know them anyway. Personally I think much of 'fashion' looks rediculas, but if its something someone likes, and they feel good it it, all the more power. If they are wearing it since they feel they have to for social acceptance, then they are lying to everyone who takes note.

Best advise ever... be yourself. If someone isn't impressed, you wouldn't need to know them anyway.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:12 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudegubmintworker View Post
Yah, especially when they have on expensive jewelry and carry a designer (or maybe a knockoff) purse.
I thought this was the new 'look' of the wealthy, not wanting to display their money when the country is in an economic downturn and so many people are out of work. The expensive jewelry or bag is just to show those 'in the know' that they are part of 'the club'.

I like the idea of a basic wardrobe of nice clothing that fits well and is comfortable.

When I was younger I got trapped/brainwashed into the concept of fashionable clothing, but could not see recycling my wardrobe every few years. It's stupid, in my opinion - a way to make others wealthy. Better to use that money for tuition or vacations or shoring up the 401k.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I thought this was the new 'look' of the wealthy, not wanting to display their money when the country is in an economic downturn and so many people are out of work. The expensive jewelry or bag is just to show those 'in the know' that they are part of 'the club'.

I like the idea of a basic wardrobe of nice clothing that fits well and is comfortable.

When I was younger I got trapped/brainwashed into the concept of fashionable clothing, but could not see recycling my wardrobe every few years. It's stupid, in my opinion - a way to make others wealthy. Better to use that money for tuition or vacations or shoring up the 401k.
The motto is, splurge on timeless basics and skimp on the trends.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:00 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Better to use that money for tuition or vacations or shoring up the 401k.

See, people always use this financial reason for why they think fashion is so bad. But many of us have well paying jobs, don't have any college debt thanks to full ride scholarships, don't go on vacations (talk about money saver!!!!!!!!!!), and save as needed.

I've had some of my co workers who make more than me wonder how I buy such nice clothes, but i'm able to wear that stuff beccause I'm frugal in most other areas of my life. I have no hobbies (besides clothes), I don't drink, I don't take vacations (!!!), I drive a beat up car, I NEVER EAT OUT, I NEVER GO TO CAFES, I live in a apartment which has a small bed, one table, and one chair, etc. Trust me, the money adds up and I'm able to spend $300 on shoes when others have prioritized beer and nice restraunts over looking good.

PS: You do realize that vacations, tuition, food, etc. also makes other people rich. So your argument that you won't do something if it makes someone else rich is a little flawed. I mean, you took a vacation didn't you.

Last edited by tonym9428; 06-20-2012 at 10:33 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Personally, I like to be "in fashion" I seek out a few carefully selected trends every season. But I generally dress pretty preppy/classic with a little bit of an edge.

For example this season, I went to look for bright colors (neon trim and so on). I bought a cardigan with neon yellow, and a shirt dress in bright pink. These are classic shapes.

I like to "dress up" I find people take me more seriously when I am dressed nicer. People are also more polite and respectful. And I prefer that feeling.

I've noticed this also. Now I am a 26 year old male and I generally "dress up" for work even though I don't have to, and when I go to stores, bars, etc after work, I'm treated much better than on occasions where I've worn just jeans and a tshirt. Heck, I get called sir when I'm out and about while dressed up, and that NEVER happens when I'm in jeans and a tshirt.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:35 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
See, people always use this financial reason for why they think fashion is so bad. But many of us have well paying jobs, don't have any college debt thanks to full ride scholarships, don't go on vacations (talk about money saver!!!!!!!!!!), and save as needed.

I've had some of my co workers who make more than me wonder how I buy such nice clothes, but i'm able to wear that stuff beccause I'm frugal in most other areas of my life. I have no hobbies (besides clothes), I don't drink, I don't take vacations (!!!), I drive a beat up car, I NEVER EAT OUT, I NEVER GO TO CAFES, I live in a apartment which has a small bed, one table, and one chair, etc. Trust me, the money adds up and I'm able to spend $300 on shoes when others have prioritized beer and nice restraunts over looking good.

PS: You do realize that vacations, tuition, food, etc. also makes other people rich. So your argument that you won't do something if it makes someone else rich is a little flawed. I mean, you took a vacation didn't you.
A very good point.
Travel can enrich the mind, so can education. Saving for your future these days is a necessity.
I guess it is just that I think things that I can absorb in my consciousness are higher on the scale than things that I put on my back, things that are 'in' one day and 'out' the next. Of course, I could get Alzheimer's in my old age.

I am not saying not to spend on good solid clothing that will last, just that trendy things seem not worth it to me.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:40 AM

14 posts, read 20,596 times
I just went through and read this entire post; it was really interesting to hear many different opinions on why Americans/Europeans dress the way they do. I am an American and am currently in France studying abroad and I am preparing a presentation on fashion differences between the U.S and France. I have definitely noticed some huge differences in fashion since I've been here; I can honestly say I have never seen such a wide majority of men so nicely dressed, here fashion isn't just something for women to be involved in but men as well, and people of all ages in general. I really like their sense of fashion here, I have already made a few purchases for myself .
I love how, here, you can get all dressed up in heels and all and it's normal even just to go to the store or walking around etc, back home when I would dress up just because I would always get the, "What are you all dressed up for?" response, it's like you have to have a reason/occasion to dress up. And of course this doesn't apply to all of the U.S. there are many cities where people dress up a lot more then others.
I live in a smaller town and see the yoga/workout attire everywhere, and the ugg boots of course. I have also seen what I have to consider to be one of the worst forms of fashion: wearing nylons/tights as pants, that is such a sloppy, terrible look. But overall, in my opinion, Europeans do seem much more fashionable than Americans; it's basically fashionable/dressed up look vs casual comfort look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty