Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 04:10 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,506,345 times

Advertisements

Way to many. Some with the price tags still on. It is so funny when we moved I gave away to the goodwill two closets full of my good work clothes but i seem to be trying to add to what I got rid of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 04:43 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,417,855 times
I don't have much. I just donated all of my maternity clothes and a bunch of clothes that are now too big. The size I'm in now is an odd one for me. It was the size I ended up being after my first child was born, so I wore it in between the pregnancies and am now back into it. So, I have a couple pairs of pants, one skirt, one dress, and about two nice shirts that I can wear. Most of my shirts are just t-shirts. I own one raggy sweater and a light cardigan I can't button. I have many more clothes in smaller sizes, but not enough to call them a real wardrobe. Once I get there, I'll donate all of my current clothes and probably half of the smaller sizes. Some of it will be outdated and some will probably just never fit me quite the same again.

My DH has more clothes and shoes than me.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:46 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,269,001 times
Been doin' a little purging myself recently. For every one item I buy new, at least one item must go to Red Cross or Goodwill. Don't really have room to continuously add on. Just today I found a go-with-anything navy sleeveless dress, and a fun little black skirt. I may be heading for the mid-forties, but my knee high boots ain't going anywhere.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:17 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,835,434 times
I have a decent amount of clothes in my closet. It is pretty tight in there and I need to get rid of some stuff. I have a dresser full of clothes that needs thinning out also. In the attic I keep off-season stuff I wear to bed, because there is nowhere else to put it all. I have more shoes than I need but it's not out of control.

Part of the space issue is that I have a lot of clothes and shoes for work, and since I left my last job I have no reason to wear them. I still like them but would never wear them around the house. It bugs me that they take up room in my closet and have no current use.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:52 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,387,179 times
I think it's important to purge one's wardrobe.

Having a lot of clothes that date back 20 years and no longer fit does not count.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:39 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,842,252 times
when i first moved in with my wife (not married then), she brought so many clothes i had no room for my own. after a year i coaxed her into purging. we filled, must have been 12 or 15 big garbage bags of clothes and took them to goodwill. most of them were things i had never even seen, after 2 or more years of dating. now i make her do it on a bi-annual basis. we just took 15 shirts andmaybe 3-4 pairs of pants out over xmas break.

so her survival wardrobe, without counting, i estimate she has 25-30 shirts or sweaters in the closet and 15-20 pants, one suit, 10-15 dresses, 10-15 shoes. then a dresser is full of t-shirts, shorts, pj's, socks and underwear. for comparison i have about 2/3rds that.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:32 PM

11 posts, read 30,467 times
I have too much..and sometimes, not enough. I don't need "work clothes" anymore, so those have gone to a women's shelter. Things that were bought for foreseen "special occasions" which never happened have gone. I'm lucky to have stayed about the same size for 30 years, so the really old jeans still fit (sort of) and are good for gardening and other messy tasks. I go through my closet and drawers about every six months and get rid of things I haven't worn or won't wear again. Sometimes this is a hard choice! I outfitted myself for my GD's wedding for less than $50, but doubt I will ever wear that again..no place to go. So that may go away. Just not now. I'm afraid we have a few funerals to go to soon, so will have to do something about that, as I have absolutely nothing suitable to wear.

Does anyone else have trouble getting rid of shoes? I am fairly ruthless, but still have way too many.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:53 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,273,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flunkedretirement View Post
Does anyone else have trouble getting rid of shoes? I am fairly ruthless, but still have way too many.
Not at all. I am one of the few women, maybe the only woman, that hates shoes. I have 2 pairs of sneakers, winter boots, a pair of flip flops, and one pair of pumps that I haven't taken out of the box in years. I don't even know if they are blue or black. The only shoes I miss are my old cowboy boots. I loved those.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:22 PM

15,104 posts, read 27,546,247 times
Younglisa - I think you win the prize of the ONLY women with so few pairs of shoes

Old 01-03-2009, 08:01 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,274,625 times
I know I don't have enough clothes... Yes I do store my clothes according to the season and I use to pay for extra storage before I came to my senses. Now I limit myself to what I can store in my closet. Though sometimes I will put a few things in the coat closet. I am willing to change, but I have to do it slowly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty