Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:00 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times

Advertisements

Ivory/bone shadow under the brow and muted brown below that, then ivory/bone again on the lid. Then I smudge it all together. Looks like I have next to nothing on, but brings out my deep set eyes. Before and after is dramatic. I kick it up a notch for going out at night- darker brown.

Then Brenda Christian Universal Brow Definer- one color works for everyone, although I didn't believe it when it was first received as a gift. Have since tried two other universal brow pencils, but they don't work as well on me. Brenda Christian Cosmetics Makeup & Skin Care, Eyes,Brow and Lash

Mascara- use the white lash protector stuff first- extends my meager lashes a bit. Then Jane Iredale mascara.

Sounds like a timely regime, but takes me a couple of minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 06:07 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,303 times
Since I am in my late 50's, my eyelids are getting really loose. I use a brown eyeliner and I sometimes smear the line a little to try to hide the uneven edges of the line. Is there any other way to help correct this?

I remember when I was in my 20's and 30's and looking at older women with a crazy line for an eyeliner......well, guess what? I'm there now!! Yikes!

Old 01-08-2009, 06:55 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Different shades of taupe or brown. I have dark circles under my eyes and using these shades minimizes them. I have never used anything on my eye brows or eye liners. I use brown/black mascara.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:32 AM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
Since I am in my late 50's, my eyelids are getting really loose. I use a brown eyeliner and I sometimes smear the line a little to try to hide the uneven edges of the line. Is there any other way to help correct this?

I remember when I was in my 20's and 30's and looking at older women with a crazy line for an eyeliner......well, guess what? I'm there now!! Yikes!
I know what you mean and I use L'OREAL advanced revitalift at night but I also use the red section (comes in two creams but one bottle . one for under the eye and one for the lid) under my eye shadow and liner. It acts as a primer. Your liner then should go on smoother and even.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:06 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
As one gets older, eyebrows and eyes need a little definition boost, but nothing harsh. I used eyebrow pencils until a few years ago, but to soften things, I now use brown eyeshadow on my eyebrows and line my eyes with the same brown eyeshadow color or one slightly darker. I use black mascara which would be too dark, but I wear glasses. I purchased the eyebrow kit from Sephora, but Physicans also has an eyeshadow palatte in browns that works just as well.

When I do use eyeshadow, which isn't often, it will be in the brown family. It is really important not to use anything that can emphasize the lid and under eyebrow area if the skin is crepy.

I am am over 50, too and a dark blonde.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:19 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
some time back I read that using white eye shadow in just the corner of upper lid nearest the nose will make eyes appear brighter,wider and younger. It really works

Last edited by Élan vital; 01-09-2009 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: because....

Old 01-09-2009, 01:10 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post

I agree with the primer idea already posted.

Another thing to do is use a pencil + a powder to line with. Harsh lines can make you look older anyway...but the line + pencil method will give you the depth of color you want near the lashes plus you can blend the powder more easily on that hard line between the eyeliner and where your plain lid starts.

Kohl pencils are very soft but in my experience do not last as long unless set by a powder. The powder can even be your dark brown eyeshadows. It doesn't need to be an actual liner cake/powder.

But how you do it is:
- line the lashline on your upper lid only
(line the upper water line too if you can)
- apply brown powder to that line on the lid with an angled brush by tapping it on. Tap on is not patting. Its more of a tap-check-tap-check to get total control of the color to get even placement.
- now try smudge/smoke the line as you do. I like q-tips and brushes for that. My fingers pull too much of the product around or just off. Keep a very light soft touch when blending.

You may need to re-powder under your eyes if any brown has fallen during the application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty