Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 02:30 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,171,049 times

Advertisements

Remember scrunchies....lol (it was in spell check! )

Anyway..nice theory but bad look.

Theory-
- can pull back hair without damage
- can put on wrist for emergency/casual use

So anyway I just made my own out of the legs of black opaque nylon tights by making a cut across the leg leaving the fabric 1 inch wide at least. It rolls up when its done being cut. You can put it on your wrist and it looks like a fabric bangle. You can stack them. Do different colors. And they all will hold your hair back softly like a baby's headband. Some tights can be cut so that the thigh part is big enough to make a full stretch headband. I cut at least 2.5 inches to make a headband. Headbands can be doubled for wrist wear.

When they get ugly just toss em and get a new cheap pair of opaque tights to slice up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 02:58 PM

16 posts, read 35,068 times
great idea! I've found use for my tights I don't wear

Old 01-06-2009, 05:17 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,076,497 times
Great use for tights with runs/holes in the toes too!

I never was a fan of scrunchies,but use an elastic everyday for cooking/exercising.

Thanks for sharing that.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:17 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,932,179 times
Shoot--I still use a "scrunchie"--not for anything but everyday stuff---I have long hair and it does NOT cause breakage!
I never pull my hair back if I'm going out, and dressed nicely, but to the grocery... who cares!? (See, this is the attitude you get as you age a bit!!!--Love it!)

Old 01-08-2009, 06:35 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,133,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Shoot--I still use a "scrunchie"--not for anything but everyday stuff---I have long hair and it does NOT cause breakage!
I never pull my hair back if I'm going out, and dressed nicely, but to the grocery... who cares!? (See, this is the attitude you get as you age a bit!!!--Love it!)
You too? Unless I've just pressed my hair, it's too thick to fit into those cute barettes.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:09 PM

101 posts, read 433,968 times
Dancers have used tights for years to hold buns in and to give height underneath the crown.
emmie

Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,454,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
You too? Unless I've just pressed my hair, it's too thick to fit into those cute barettes.
I'm so jealous-my hair is too thin, I have to use baby barettes and then it slides out easily. Same goes for scrunchies-unless I use an elastic band under it, the hair just slides out. Fine, thin and straight as a board.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:44 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,171,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmie3g View Post
Dancers have used tights for years to hold buns in and to give height underneath the crown.
emmie
How do you add height to it?

Yeh I like these as it doesn't break my hair. If I need a tight hold I get those flat banded no snag elastics. But the nylon loop over it makes a nice cover too so it doesn't just look like a hair tie.

The headbands with these are so soft. Like the ones they put on babies.
I usually cant wear most hard headbands because the press painfully into my head.

I dont think not caring about looks runs in my family...lol
My gram would still go for groceries in her lipstick, matching jewelry, little outfit and the "right" purse till the day she died. It was so cute.
Not to mention people in general treat sloppy versions, different than non-sloppy you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty