Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:38 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,839,886 times

Advertisements

i use eye makeup remover and then cream facial cleanser.... then I flick each bruch to get them to come to a "point" to dry..... I air dry them stainding Up in a cup... I have done this for years and have had no problem. I use Mary Kay brushes and Mary Kay TimeWise Cleanser.... I recently switched to BODY SHOP Vitamin A cleanser and had no troubles.... using the Mary Kay eye makeup remover.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 08:08 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,847,073 times
Lots of good suggestions! Keep 'em coming, the more the merrier. It's great trading tips!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,292,844 times
I use the Bare Escentuals cleaner called Well Cared For - just lather some up and rinse it under running water. Works like a charm. However, I do use the Bare Minerals makeup, which may make it easier to clean (doesn't gum up the brushes).

I've heard good things about baby shampoo as well.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:30 AM

730 posts, read 2,881,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
I use a very mild, fragrance-free liquid facial cleanser to gently wash my brushes. Never immerse them in water and be very careful to wash only the exposed brush without allowing water to get near the glue that holds the brush in the handle.

And never allow your brushes to dry with the brush part up. You should hang them upside down to dry them. A number of years ago I came up with my only little contraption to air dry my brushes upside down. I used a hanger, rubber bands, a toe separator and butterfly hair clips. Here's a picture of it.

I fasten the clips and toe separator to the hanger with rubber bands then hang the brushes wherever they fit best. That hook is for my bathrobe, right over a heat register so warm air helps to dry them in the winter.

A friend of mine used a hanger designed for belts or ties with rubber bands to hang her brushes. Here's a picture of her setup.

I'm sure if someone ever decides to manufacture something like that, they'd charge about $20 or so. But you can make it with stuff around your house for free.
This answer is the best one. This is how I do it as well.

Mild facial cleanser is best, especially for foundation brushes
Hang upside down. NEVER dry upright.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:48 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,189,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
I put baby shampoo in my hand, swirl the brush around, and then rinse thoroughly in lukewarm water. Then I lay them flat to dry on a towel.. I use coastal Scents brushes and i havent had any problems w/them not working properly afterwards.
I do pretty much the same but I use hot water in a shot glass with a dot soap for my natural bristle. I ruined fake plastic bristled brushes this way so if you have synthetic use warm or cold. I also try to use bottled water/filtered water because it cleans better and doesn't stiffen the brushes as much.

- dot of baby shampoo
- hot water
- swirl around
- soak 10 minutes or so (yes I immerse it all the way up the shaft of the bristle
- spray out with high faucet OR with water pik
- tap dry
- if stiff - spritz with a little leave in conditioner and swirl around in palm and fingers to soften
- reshape and pat dry while reshaping.

I do that 1x week
Daily I I have this mini martini spritzer that I spray rubbing alcohol on the brush and wipe it off with tissue. I don't know if you are suppose to do this but it has helped me stay away from breakouts when using brushes.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:34 AM

730 posts, read 2,881,606 times
I don't think the leave in conditioner is a good idea. It could make some break out.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:26 PM

274 posts, read 238,641 times
I'm with Flamingo on this one. I use a little shampoo and wash and rinse until the water's clear. Then I lean them against something so they're sort of standing up. They're usually dry by morning.

I do go one step further, though, and use a little conditioner. I rinse it out really well and it leaves the brushes really soft. I've used Bare Escentuals brushes (and makeup) for many years and have never had a problem with washing the brushes this way.

PS -- please forgive me if this is a duplicate post; I lost my original!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty