Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,607 times

Advertisements

I am an upstate NY girl and plan to go to Monterey Cali in Feb. I am going out of my mind trying to figure out what to wear does anyone have suggestions or know what is the "in" for the California area? Being that it is winter here in NY we usually have several feet of snow and we feel lucky when it's 35 degrees. I don't want to go to California looking like the NY girl that is in short sleeves and shorts. I need help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 09:43 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Just buy black. You'll be fine!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 AM

496 posts, read 1,251,263 times
ahhhh you're gonna love monterey. lived there for a while a few years ago. my best friend still lives there. weather is just gorgeous. cali folks are pretty easy o fashion. monterey esp. lots of students, lots of old folks, and military personnel. so forget the heels, get good sneakers, jeans, not too thick sweaters, a jacket and you're good to go. oh my god you made me think of saturdays in carmel. alright, have fun, kiss the mry ground for me .
ps you're going to the best place on earth

Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Oh, my god, I totally got it wrong. I thought you were going to NY from Cali -- not the other way around.

Anyhow, dress warm, because it gets very cool in the evening.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:01 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,692,848 times
I've worked in several parts of CA, you'd be fine in jeans and a nice shirt, it will be cool in the eves, as another poster mentioned. bring a light sweater/cardigan for this. if you follow the look in the JCrew spring catalogs, I think that would give you a nice example. I found the style of dress to be casual, not as much black at night as in NY. I wore mostly nice jeans with a short sleeve top, but a nice one, not a wal-mart s/s top, you know? if you go to Victoria's Secret and look at their collection of tops, that will give you a nice example also, and check out the looks the LA celebrities are wearing, not the crazy over-the-top designer looks, but the casual looks if they are running errands or something, make sense? you'll mostly find much more color in CA, so you'd stand out more if you were in all black, even at night IMO. you won't find too many shorts other than the beach areas or working out, so stick to nice jeans/khakis (low slung, not mom-jeans!) or other fresh color pants.
hope this helps!! have a fun trip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AN8523 View Post
I am an upstate NY girl and plan to go to Monterey Cali in Feb. I am going out of my mind trying to figure out what to wear does anyone have suggestions or know what is the "in" for the California area? Being that it is winter here in NY we usually have several feet of snow and we feel lucky when it's 35 degrees. I don't want to go to California looking like the NY girl that is in short sleeves and shorts. I need help!

Old 01-10-2009, 01:51 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Pack a week of whatever and then hit up the shops while you are there.
Thats what I have always done. Makes it easy to pack too.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:21 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,710 times
Casual is the style. Lived in SF bay area for 25 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty