U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:44 PM

830 posts, read 2,283,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
To have a whole new wardrobe, a woman who works needs (conservatively) at least 15-20 pairs of pants, two pairs of jeans, 5 skirts, 2 dresses, 15 sweaters, 20 blouses/shirts, a bunch of little tees to layer underneath, or to wear alone, maybe 15 pairs of shoes, a suit to break up, another 2 structured jackets, a couple of coats...
Whoa. 20 pairs of pants, not even counting jeans? 20 blouses? 15 shoes? No repeating for 2 weeks? Now do you need to duplicate that again for change of seasons, or is it 10 summer blouses and 10 winter blouses?

Must be something wrong with me... then again, I don't have a walk-in closet either, and don't expect one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 04:58 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Whoa. 20 pairs of pants, not even counting jeans? 20 blouses? 15 shoes? No repeating for 2 weeks? Now do you need to duplicate that again for change of seasons, or is it 10 summer blouses and 10 winter blouses?

Must be something wrong with me... then again, I don't have a walk-in closet either, and don't expect one.
I have 3 pairs of work pants, and they're all black I also have 2 pairs of work shoes and a handful (maybe 15?) blouses.

I hate clothes shopping and I'm just fine with my closet. YOU try to clothe a 6' tall woman with giant boobs and long legs. Not an easy feat!

Old 01-18-2010, 05:34 PM

2,144 posts, read 2,802,483 times
I'm a fan of their show, but I really take it with a grain of salt. Some of the make-overs are amazingly good...the people look younger, thinner, prettier, etc. Others though...a few had their hair cut way too short, wear kind of odd combinations, etc. Still, if someone was willing to give me $5000 for a new wardrobe and hair/make up, I would be thrilled.

Re the pointed shoes, I m not a fan of those either except for the rare dressy evening. Way too hard on the feet...and will lead to problems down the road.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:45 PM

522 posts, read 1,208,508 times
I think the skirt above the knee thing isn't really an age thing but more of what's appropriate for your body and height. Of course if you're over 35 and not in the best shape, it's probably not a good idea to be walking around in a mini skirt.

As for the pointy shoes, it's not for everyone but I get what they're saying about it. It does help elongate the feet and make your proportions look more balance.

It's a TV show, it's not the law. Overall, I like the show because they do have a lot of good suggestions and make great points. I really just like to watch the two host interact, they're entertaining to watch.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:45 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,936,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
Usually their advice is right-on, however I find Stacy to be a little scary and think they go overboard with people. I think they do a good job dressing people for work/nights out, but so many of the clothes they criticize in people's closets are just typical around-the-house type clothes. Do they really expect most people lounge around constantly in fitted jeans and pointy heels? Also, I don't think they do a good job of letting people's personal style show through at all. So much of looking good is having confidence, and if you are uncomfortable in the clothes you're wearing it will show!

Also, I've always wondered, do they REALLY make those people throw out all of their other stuff? There's no way the few outfits they buy could replace a whole closet full of clothes.
Don't forget that many schills for the fashion industry get extra perks. The industry depends on women feeling badly if they don't conform to the 'new' and trendy thing. They must constantly innovate and convince women that they need that stuff or die.

Since women seriously hit the work force, competing with men they dress much more sensibly and for comfort. Those pointy heals are, as Oprah said, 'sitting down shoes'.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:04 AM

11,151 posts, read 13,792,939 times
As I recall, the first episode I saw featured a middle-aged mom who loved to wear theme sweaters and they made her toss them all. Granted, those can be pretty tacky, but if you like them where's the harm?

Anyway, I've only seen the show a few times and don't always agree with the hosts' opinions on what's good and bad. And while Clinton may be fine, I prefer Wayne Scot Lukas, who was the male host during the 1st season (hubba hubba! )

Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 AM

21,465 posts, read 22,698,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Some people really need the help because they dress too sexy or too old ladyish but some are just being themselves and I think that is better than the shrunken jacket, pointy toes high heels and short soccer mom hairstyle clones that Stacy and Clinton want women to wear.
They do tend to make everyone out to be a clone, but I just saw an episode over the weekend where the makeover was for a Wiccan, and they let her keep a little more of her personality, so she didn't look like she marched out of Ann Taylor.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
They do tend to make everyone out to be a clone, but I just saw an episode over the weekend where the makeover was for a Wiccan, and they let her keep a little more of her personality, so she didn't look like she marched out of Ann Taylor.
That's good. They had an episode a looong time ago where they took a crazy tattooed, pierced, red haired woman and basically made her look like a 3rd grade teacher from the midwest.

Individuality is fun.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:33 PM

9,209 posts, read 18,043,938 times
Wayne was horrible! Clinton is sooo much better. Wayne had really long messy, stringy hair-- who was he to critique anyone on their appearance? He looked like an 80s metal video when the hair was wavy, or an early 90s grunge video when it was straight.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:53 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,792,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Wayne was horrible! Clinton is sooo much better. Wayne had really long messy, stringy hair-- who was he to critique anyone on their appearance? He looked like an 80s metal video when the hair was wavy, or an early 90s grunge video when it was straight.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty