U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,013,352 times

Advertisements

I watch the show 'What Not To Wear' and like it, but sometimes I think the hosts can be fashion snobs (esp. Stacy) and I don't agree with some of their "rules" such as women over 35 shouldn't wear skirts higher than the knee, and those awful pointy witch shoes they're always suggesting the women wear. What do you think of them? Do you agree or disagree with most of their opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 08:56 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,120,149 times
I think it is women over 35 and not skirts that go farther than right above the knee.

I think they are usually pretty on track and do good for those who need it.

I can understand the snob thing - BUT, I do not wear leather or suede and there was a lady who also did not and they were able to suggest stores with nice shoes INSTEAD of just suggesting leather popular places.

They let people know that spending more on the basics - pencil skirt in black/grey/brown, a white button up shirt, a nice coat - that spending that money, when compared to the per cost of wearing it is worth it and people need to know that.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:30 PM

319 posts, read 1,715,743 times
I think the mission of the show (self confidence, dressing appropriate and for your career) is great. I think sometimes they go a little overboard and I don't necessarily agree with the fashion tips as they aren't the most practical and cost-effective.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:21 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,966,164 times
I think Stacy needs a make-over in a big way herself.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:34 PM

21,142 posts, read 22,118,386 times
I wish they would focus on men for awhile. I've seen 2 episodes with men but I'd like to see more - maybe I could get DH to watch??

Old 01-12-2009, 01:08 AM

1,771 posts, read 2,349,275 times
I like Clinton. Stacy gets annoying pretty fast. She had her own show for a while. It's over, right? I couldn't sit through it. Can't take a show that is ALL her voice, her whining, her superior attitude.

I do think they both know what they're talking about. Generally I do not agree that you need to get that fixed up to go to one store or some simple thing like that. I agree you shouldn't be in your pajamas when you go out, but you don't need pointy-toed heels, either.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:25 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 7 days ago)

14,422 posts, read 16,691,770 times
I quit watching it made me so annoyed. To me, the women end up looking like clones of the rules. What is wrong with dressing like one LIKES? If you have a business and should come in in a suit for a meeting fine, help with that. But when going to the grocery store or taking the dog for a walk or relaxing why can't they wear the clothes they have and enjoy? I had suits for the office when I worked in one and the second I got in the door they were off. Hated them but wore them for that. The rest of the time it was jeans and tshirts and boots or sandles. When I stopped working at an office I got rid of all them.

As for the shoes, they are ugly and damage the feet. The same sort of style in a flat shoe would be different. No one would ever get me to wear that kind of shoe no matter how much money was waved in my face.

If someone were to "nominate" me for that show it would be a very short experience. I would tell them to take a hike and those who did the nomination to mind their own business. I wonder how many times this happens that never gets on camera?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:20 AM

3,531 posts, read 6,209,280 times
I'm a guy, and I like the show. They really do some good work.

They aren't picking on people that dress casual. They are helping people that are stuck in the 80's, or just have horrible taste.

Like or not, you are judged on your appearance all day every day, and this helps people get a leg up from where they may have struggled before.

I have yet to see an episode where the person looked worse than the before.

Also, I have the hots for Carrmindy, yowwzers!

Old 01-12-2009, 08:35 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,989,441 times
I've seen it twice, and the nasty little comments they make behind the person's back really turned me off. I hoped the first time was unusual, but I guess that's their M.O. I won't watch it again. They're just smug and rude. Sure, people are judged by what they wear, but you know what else? They're also judged by how they act, and those two are a couple of *******. Give me a nice girl in an ugly blouse over a catty minx any day.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:17 AM

1,367 posts, read 4,975,014 times
Usually their advice is right-on, however I find Stacy to be a little scary and think they go overboard with people. I think they do a good job dressing people for work/nights out, but so many of the clothes they criticize in people's closets are just typical around-the-house type clothes. Do they really expect most people lounge around constantly in fitted jeans and pointy heels? Also, I don't think they do a good job of letting people's personal style show through at all. So much of looking good is having confidence, and if you are uncomfortable in the clothes you're wearing it will show!

Also, I've always wondered, do they REALLY make those people throw out all of their other stuff? There's no way the few outfits they buy could replace a whole closet full of clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty