Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:29 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

OKLAHOMA CITY -- An Oklahoma lawmaker has filed a bill that would limit access to tanning facilities for kids younger than 17.

Under the bill, children younger than 13 would be prohibited from using tanning facilities without a permission slip from a doctor and the presence at the tanning facility of a parent or guardian.

Bill Would Restrict Tanning For Teens - Health News Story - KCCI Des Moines (http://www.kcci.com/health/18468764/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 11:32 AM

784 posts, read 2,264,675 times
Good idea, I dated a girl back in the early nineties who used to live in those damn tanning salons. She never wore the goggles back then either. She used to be able to pull (what would look like rubber) from her eyes like elastic. Very gross. If that is not a sign of bad things, I dont know what is. I seen her a couple of years ago and she looked so old. Her skin looked like a leather belt. So gross.
These things are very dangerous. They expose people at a very high risk of cancer as well as other things. They should be outlawed. People want to look good now and are neglecting future problems...

Old 01-14-2009, 01:29 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times
Who allows a 13-15 year old to tan anyway?

How is it that 13-15 year olds are able to go to the tanning salon. They don't have cars. The parents would have to drive them there. And even if a friend took them, wouldn't the parent notice that they were tan the next day.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:13 PM

239 posts, read 1,092,201 times
It's about time. I predict that soon they will have warning labels on tanning beds much like cigarettes do stating that tanning can cause cancer!! I hope this bill goes to a national level.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:22 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Bah. I've never done the 'tan' thing, I think artificially dark skin is very unattractive. Since I have a couple thousand dollars invested in skin artwork, I stay as pale as I can, keeps the color crisper, longer. I can't imagine someone letting their 13 year old child tan!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:49 PM

617 posts, read 2,072,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Who allows a 13-15 year old to tan anyway?

How is it that 13-15 year olds are able to go to the tanning salon. They don't have cars. The parents would have to drive them there. And even if a friend took them, wouldn't the parent notice that they were tan the next day.
My daughter's friend was required by her mom to spend time at a tanning bed before their beach vacation last summer. The girl didn't want to go but her mom insisted. I couldn't believe it!

My daughter just turned 16 and most of her friends have been to tanning salons for the past few years. I'm the mean/unreasonable/cruel mother who won't budge on this issue, so my poor kid is pale year round.

I just don't get some parents.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Tanning sucks and taking your kids to tan is negligent, IMO.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:14 PM

784 posts, read 2,264,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
My daughter's friend was required by her mom to spend time at a tanning bed before their beach vacation last summer. The girl didn't want to go but her mom insisted. I couldn't believe it!

My daughter just turned 16 and most of her friends have been to tanning salons for the past few years. I'm the mean/unreasonable/cruel mother who won't budge on this issue, so my poor kid is pale year round.

I just don't get some parents.

In ten or more years, your kids will thank you for it. Her friends will look ten to fifteen years older then what they will be. Dont give in, keep doing what your doing. In ten or fifteen years, your kids friends will envy your daughters beautiful healthy skin.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:08 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Honestly, I get compliments on my skin all the time, how youthful it is, etc. compared to other women my age (early thirties), many of whom came of age with the advent of recreational use of booth and bed tanning. It doesn't take very long for the effects of that kind of skin abuse to be super apparent. Shockingly little time, actually. It's not like, "Oh, when you're old, you'll get paper bag skin." The effects are visible MUCH earlier than these girls realize. Wanna look haggard by thirty? Keep tanning.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Oh, Dear!!! I suppose that the next thing will be for those of us that live near the coast that we can't spend the day at the beach., or out in the boat. The young children might get sunburned.

Yes, my skin looks old. That's what happens when you live in the South and stay out in the sun a lot. If you don't take care of your skin, it gets dried out, has skin cancers, etc.

Maybe we should have a law that all people, male and female, use a good slathering of skin cream at least once a day.

Seriously, People come down here for a vacation with white, unexposed skin. They blister and burn the first day and the vacation is runined. A session or two in the tanning booth would have prevented some of that sort of damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty