U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:24 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,381,429 times

Advertisements

Anybody else over 40 have this problem? Your close-up vision is deteriorating so you go and buy one of those magnifying mirrors and lo and behold, you are aghast at what has been hiding on your face; a myriad of lines, hairs, blemishes and pores the size of Texas! So you begin plucking, tweezing, picking, etc. and just when you think you have adjusted to this "new you" and have things under control, you make the mistake of buying a new mirror with even more magnifying power. Now, you find yourself picking up the tweezers everytime you pass by the darn thing and you find yourself wondering what discoveries you would find with even more magnification, but by this time, having seen your face so close up and personal you don't even want to leave the house with all those hairs, lines and pimples! Bottom Line: How do those of us who have lost most of our close-up vision know how far to go with the magnification mirror when scrutinizing our facial flaws and taking necessary action??? How do we know what others are seeing? If I take care of "things" at 3X magnification, is that adequate to a normal visioned person looking at me? Or are they seeing more of the 10X magnification image so they will see all those hairs I missed at 3X???? Anybody else ever have these questions as you lay awake at 4:00 AM???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 AM

730 posts, read 2,544,347 times
Magnifying mirrors are not good to use if you are simply trying to see what others see.

If your vision is going, may I suggest a trip to the eye dr? Then you can either get contacts or some sort of glasses to wear. THen your vision will be back to normal and you will see your face as othes see it.

Magnifying mirrors are a bad thing.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:16 AM

3,681 posts, read 5,381,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
Magnifying mirrors are not good to use if you are simply trying to see what others see.

If your vision is going, may I suggest a trip to the eye dr? Then you can either get contacts or some sort of glasses to wear. THen your vision will be back to normal and you will see your face as othes see it.

Magnifying mirrors are a bad thing.
But if you're over 40, you know you need them for applying eye-makeup!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:37 AM

4,610 posts, read 10,033,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Anybody else over 40 have this problem? Your close-up vision is deteriorating so you go and buy one of those magnifying mirrors and lo and behold, you are aghast at what has been hiding on your face; a myriad of lines, hairs, blemishes and pores the size of Texas! So you begin plucking, tweezing, picking, etc. and just when you think you have adjusted to this "new you" and have things under control, you make the mistake of buying a new mirror with even more magnifying power. Now, you find yourself picking up the tweezers everytime you pass by the darn thing and you find yourself wondering what discoveries you would find with even more magnification, but by this time, having seen your face so close up and personal you don't even want to leave the house with all those hairs, lines and pimples! Bottom Line: How do those of us who have lost most of our close-up vision know how far to go with the magnification mirror when scrutinizing our facial flaws and taking necessary action??? How do we know what others are seeing? If I take care of "things" at 3X magnification, is that adequate to a normal visioned person looking at me? Or are they seeing more of the 10X magnification image so they will see all those hairs I missed at 3X???? Anybody else ever have these questions as you lay awake at 4:00 AM???
So funny! Those mirrors are addicting. I tell my husband to throw it away but he's addicted to it too. We just pick and pluck all day long!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:45 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,147,286 times
I use magnification mirrors when I do my eye makeup on days I wear my glasses. My vision is so poor that I cannot see more than an inch or so in front of me. If I used a standard mirror, it would have to be so close to my face that I could not get even a small liner pencil in.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:46 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,996,626 times
I refuse to get one because I am afraid I will end up looking like a meth head by plucking, picking and pulling everything I think I see. I like to think that if I can't see it than it isn't there.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:13 AM

7,099 posts, read 23,892,964 times
I think it was Ogden Nash that wrote:

"My face, I don't mind it,
For I am behind it.
It's the people in front that I jar."

Think about it this way......if you could see them under magnification and without makeup, they may even look worse!

Old 01-15-2009, 02:10 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,569,222 times
Quote:
Same here. I use a lighted magnifying mirror so I can SEE when I put on my eye makeup. I wondered the same thing you mentioned on the first thread post. Is this stuff only I can see.....or is the whole world looking into my PORES????

Maybe in the end it's good since I cover it all up with the utmost of care before leaving my house.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:11 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,718,901 times
Quote:
I KNOW I need them???

Nope.... and I am in my mid-50s.
I have never owned one and see no reason to!

I apply make-up just fine with the regular mirror.... or peering through the reading glasses.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:14 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,569,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I KNOW I need them???

Nope.... and I am in my mid-50s.
I have never owned one and see no reason to!

I apply make-up just fine with the regular mirror.... or peering through the reading glasses.
Maybe it is just my eyes (and apparently maja's ) ......but I can't see well enough to put on eye liner or mascara without some magnification. The rest of it I can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty