U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 12:46 AM

7,046 posts, read 15,984,088 times

Advertisements

Well, our personal opinions: we think this tattoo "thing" has gotten wayyyyy out of control. If young (or older) folks (men or women) want to get all of these different types/sizes of tattoos, that is completely up to them, BUT just realize that not EVERYONE will like tattoos like you do. And, the people who don't like them have a 100% right to voice their opinions on why they don't like them.......that is what we call a "free voice" society. The wife and I don't like the looks of body piercings either, but that doesn't mean that we won't talk to people who have them.
One of the things that really attracted my wife to me, was that I had no tattoos (and I spent some years in the Navy) and that I had no body piercings.
There are so many people that use the word "discrimination" towards people who don't like certain things......well that is a bunch of BULL!! Can't people just not like how someone looks, dresses, acts, talks and express that feeling??? If you love the look of "ink" and "metal", that is fine, but no everyone will......just fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 01:41 AM

3,774 posts, read 9,895,229 times
I grew up in a conservative middle class family. Tattoos weren't around in my family. Some of my dad's friends had tatts from their service days, but I served 20 years in the military and never thought of getting one. Having said all that, I don't see the problem with tatts. I also fail to see the fascination with them or piercings either. I don't mind pierced ears (either gender), but find that facial piercings distract me from eye contact. Personally, and as a matter of personal taste (ONLY!), I think that nose, eyebrow, lip, tongue, etc, piercings are ugly. Just my opinion, and that is only the era and circimstances of my upbringing.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:03 AM

569 posts, read 1,118,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Let me see if I can phrase this correctly...

I've never met a person with tatoos who given a little bit of time hasn't proven themselves to be a moron.

Still looking for the exception.

Yeah I think that says it.
I guess I'm a moron then. Personally I don't give a rat's a$$ what anyone thinks about me. Especially those people that will not take the time to get to know me because I have tattoos.

I have been a police officer for 22+ years and I currently have 9 tattoos. All but 2 are related to friends, co-workers and all LEO's killed in the line of duty. God forbid somebody else I know makes the ultimate sacrifice because I will continue to get ink to honor those that deserve it.

JB, for your sake I hope I never have to respond to a 911 call that you've made because I wouldn't want you to have a "moron" trying to help you.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:33 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,334,554 times
Cool This moron has had one for twenty years

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
I guess I'm a moron then. Personally I don't give a rat's a$$ what anyone thinks about me. Especially those people that will not take the time to get to know me because I have tattoos.

I have been a police officer for 22+ years and I currently have 9 tattoos. All but 2 are related to friends, co-workers and all LEO's killed in the line of duty. God forbid somebody else I know makes the ultimate sacrifice because I will continue to get ink to honor those that deserve it.

JB, for your sake I hope I never have to respond to a 911 call that you've made because I wouldn't want you to have a "moron" trying to help you.

Wow, guess I will have to change my name to MoronMom... Wanted a tatoo since I was 15, but my mom said that I would regret it when I grew up. Finally felt like I was a grown up the day I turned 30, so went and got one that day. It's a sliver of a moon with a woman's face (took the nursery rhyme book I had since I was five to the tatoo parlor) in magenta with a yellow star shooting toward it with trails. Gotta shoot for the moon!

I have it on my lower left shoulder and have two bathing suits- one that shows it and one that covers it for when I am swimming with the intelligencia like JB

Old 03-10-2007, 06:36 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,112,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
It's bizarre to me as well. It's not something that I ever thought was remotely controversial and I was really surprised how many people in the other thread from awhile back had issues with it.
I'm assuming it's because on here there is such a mix of people from all over. What I really don't get is calling people names that have tattoos? These assumptions are made based on the fact that they don't like ink instead of actually knowing the person.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:41 AM

1,696 posts, read 3,055,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
The permanence of tattoos does bug me personally, I always crack up thinking about what a scene it will be for tattooed folks in the nursing home, lifting their shirts and blouses, showing each other their sagging body ink.
But I've got better things to do than worry about somebody else's tattoo.
As for colored hair, I kinda like it. My younger kid asked if he could have blue hair and I let him, he had it and then it grew out and he got that out of his system.
Yeah, stuff that used to be totally outrageous is now mainstream.
Piercings, tattoos, colored hair, all found in your local mall.
As for body modification, I think some of that stuff is kinda "out there."
I think that's always what stopped me from getting a tattoo- they look so nasty when they get old! Plus, a symbol or drawing that seems so cool today could very easily have me in 5 years wondering what I was thinking.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, our personal opinions: we think this tattoo "thing" has gotten wayyyyy out of control. If young (or older) folks (men or women) want to get all of these different types/sizes of tattoos, that is completely up to them, BUT just realize that not EVERYONE will like tattoos like you do. And, the people who don't like them have a 100% right to voice their opinions on why they don't like them.......that is what we call a "free voice" society. The wife and I don't like the looks of body piercings either, but that doesn't mean that we won't talk to people who have them.
One of the things that really attracted my wife to me, was that I had no tattoos (and I spent some years in the Navy) and that I had no body piercings.
There are so many people that use the word "discrimination" towards people who don't like certain things......well that is a bunch of BULL!! Can't people just not like how someone looks, dresses, acts, talks and express that feeling??? If you love the look of "ink" and "metal", that is fine, but no everyone will......just fact.

I doubt anyone with a tattoo cares if someone else likes it or not. I'm not sure why someone has a "100% right to voice their opinion"? That would be like me walking around saying to someone "I don't like your hair style you must be stupid". You don't have to like it but it's just an opinion that can be kept to yourself. Anyway my original point is, doesn't matter if someone likes it, they just shouldn't judge someones character because they have a tattoo. That's not discrimination, that's ignorance.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
I think that's always what stopped me from getting a tattoo- they look so nasty when they get old! Plus, a symbol or drawing that seems so cool today could very easily have me in 5 years wondering what I was thinking.
If you changed your mind in 5 years you can it covered up with another tattoo. LOL, it's funny that people worry about what their skin will look like when they get old. The worst thing is smoking and going in the sun, if that's really a concern. Maybe the tattoo when I'm 75 will distract from all my wrinkles.

BTW...I'm not trying to talk you into getting a tattoo, it's a persons own personal decision to do what they want with their body. I will say if you have reservations, don't do it.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:54 AM

324 posts, read 1,366,951 times
I have 4 tattos on my ankle & I get more good comments on them than bad...I aslo thought loooooooooong and hard before I even got my first one. I work in an office & there are 2 other women that have them.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:37 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,004,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
I have 4 tattos on my ankle & I get more good comments on them than bad...I aslo thought loooooooooong and hard before I even got my first one. I work in an office & there are 2 other women that have them.
And if these 2 other women jumped off a bridge....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty