U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 03:52 PM

3,774 posts, read 9,895,229 times

Advertisements

Forming an opinion of someone's class or lack thereof on the basis of tatts or piercings is roughly the same as having an opinion on someone's intelligence based of skin color or religion. JMHO. "He's like, rilly, rilly, lost. Like he has, like 4 tattoos, and like they're rilly, rilly trashy. Like, gag me with a pitchfork. Like, for real."

The selection of body "art", seems to be a highly personal choice. While it may not be one that I have chosen for myself, I have friends who have tatts and/or piercings (Ouch!). I haven't found them lacking in socaial graces or in intelligence. And while I personally think art belongs in books or on the wall, I wouldn't make a comment on my friends' tatts. It's kind of like telling a guy that you think his wife is a tramp. It may or may not be true, but what should you care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 05:01 PM

4,281 posts, read 9,276,421 times
Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em.

Got a large one on my back wich I can guarantee no-one else has since it is my own design. Currently working on another one for my back. My hubby starts getting his 3 1/4 sleeve I helped design inked in next week.

Sometimes I would've put more trust in a 250lb biker with full sleeves and piercings than some of the suits that I have met in the past.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:57 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,055,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
If you changed your mind in 5 years you can it covered up with another tattoo. LOL, it's funny that people worry about what their skin will look like when they get old. The worst thing is smoking and going in the sun, if that's really a concern. Maybe the tattoo when I'm 75 will distract from all my wrinkles.

BTW...I'm not trying to talk you into getting a tattoo, it's a persons own personal decision to do what they want with their body. I will say if you have reservations, don't do it.
You know what really turned me off to them? Growing up, my best friend's father had a bunch of tattoos on his arms from his days in the Navy, and they were starting to get old-looking. I just thought to myself that I couldn't put something on my body that might look like that someday.

As far as other people- many people have tattoos that I think look fantastic. It's just not for me.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:10 PM

6,351 posts, read 18,878,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TETLEY TEA! View Post
Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em.

Sometimes I would've put more trust in a 250lb biker with full sleeves and piercings than some of the suits that I have met in the past.
AMEN...learned that really fast once I got back into the "real world" after the military!

Old 03-11-2007, 03:15 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,763,920 times
First hubby was a suit....I'm glad I looked past the tatoo on this one and married him anyway. I'll take him over the "old suit" any day! :-)

BTW, I have seem some absolutely gorgeous body art. There's some bad stuff out there, too, but some of it can be pretty awesome.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:26 PM

7,046 posts, read 15,984,088 times
Another thing that is FACT:
There are company's out there that will not hire a potenial employee if a tattoo is showing (or body piercings showing). Personally, I know of a couple of managers that are just that way! Say what you want to about these managers, but there are company's out there that have strict policies against the "showing" of tattoos/wearing of body piercings. And, you would never know that you didn't get hired (in part or just because) of the tattoo/body piercing.......you just don't get a call back from the employer about the job. If you call the employer, all they have to say is, "we found someone else with more experience" or "we are still interviewing".
And, if an employee either accidentally or "on purpose" allows a tattoo (or body piercing) to be shown, an employer can always find some way to disipline for that.
Personally, "some" tattoos and "some" body piercings don't bother me at all at work, but when someone starts giving the appearance of a "gang person", then my mind changes.
One thing is FOR SURE.....talking about tattoos/body piercings in a public Forum will definitely get different results. People should not be called names that have either or both and people who say they don't like them should not be called names either.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:57 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,148,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I'm assuming it's because on here there is such a mix of people from all over. What I really don't get is calling people names that have tattoos? These assumptions are made based on the fact that they don't like ink instead of actually knowing the person.
For me, as I stated in the other thread from awhile back, it's just one of many issues where I feel a generation gap when I browse through topics on this board. I realize that this board skews much older and more conservative than myself and America as a whole, which is fine, but it just means that oftentimes some of the topics and opinions posted on here baffle me because they seem so outdated. Much like the issue of tattoos, I see so many people taking issue with things that are such a non-issue in my daily life and amongst my generation as a whole; so when I log on here and read some of the things posted in this thread and others, it just leaves me scratching my head more than anything. I'm not outraged, just perplexed. It feels like I've entered a time-warp at times. When people say things about how they disapprove about people with tattoos or women who show their midriff or any of the other random "controversial" issues I've seen pop up on this website, it's almost akin to me to people saying "I just hate people with freckles. Every single person I've met with freckles was a liar, so I don't trust or associate with them." Sound weird? Yeah, well that's what it sounds like to me when people say similar things about tattooed people, gays, minorities, etc. There will always be people who have these positions, but their share of the ideological pie grows smaller each passing year as the "old guard" dies off so to see views that I associate with a fringe minority expressed so frequently in regards to many issues on this board just serves as another reminder as to how little I have in common with a lot of people who post here, which again is fine. It is what it is.

I'm not so naive so as to think that there aren't people judging others for having tattoos. There are and there always will be, but it's just the fact of the matter that it's such a non-issue among the overwhelming majority of people my age (which according to a recent study, 40% of whom have tattoos somewhere on their body) that seeing the issue cause such a passionate reaction in people, just seems really strange to me.

And for the record, I don't have any tattoos and don't plan on getting any.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:25 PM

788 posts, read 3,713,042 times
I'm surprised that more of the folks sporting tattoos on this forum haven't mentioned the often deeper symbolism that literally marks the event/purpose for getting one. I know some people get them because they think they look cool (and there's nothing wrong with that IMO), but I think a greater majority, myself included, choose to get one (or however many) as a result of something much deeper. For example, I chose to get my tattoo as a reminder of a particularly painful event that I survived and overcame. So, mine is a symbol and a reminder of my own power; it was a method of reclaiming my power over my own body after someone had forcibly taken it. Perhaps this is another reason why this debate is controversial--it represents something much more to the tattooed (is that a word?), something quite private and powerful that isn't always communicated or understood by onlookers and the untattooed.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:29 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,022,416 times
I'm in Daytona Beach... we live in the area.

Tattoos? I love them. I have 11 myself and plan to get more.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:46 PM

655 posts, read 2,054,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Another thing that is FACT:
There are company's out there that will not hire a potenial employee if a tattoo is showing (or body piercings showing). Personally, I know of a couple of managers that are just that way! Say what you want to about these managers, but there are company's out there that have strict policies against the "showing" of tattoos/wearing of body piercings. And, you would never know that you didn't get hired (in part or just because) of the tattoo/body piercing.......you just don't get a call back from the employer about the job. If you call the employer, all they have to say is, "we found someone else with more experience" or "we are still interviewing".
"... and the sign says long-haired, freaky people need not apply." ~Five Man Electrical Band

I know it may seem a bit non sequitur, but that's the first thing that came to mind when I read this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty