Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:10 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times

Advertisements

White shoes and black socks? Only if you're a computer engineer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 07:19 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
To the poster who said no white shoes after Labor Day, lmao! This isn't 1950, as long as the shoes are season-appropriate (not strappy sandals in January in the north) I'm pretty sure those rules don't apply anymore.
No, it still applies. Thank GOODNESS!

The ONLY "white" shoes in the "off season" that are allowed are a WINTER white. Even in warm weather climates the "no white shoes" after Labor Day applies.

FYI, I'm not an "old lady" either.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:50 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
No, it still applies. Thank GOODNESS!

The ONLY "white" shoes in the "off season" that are allowed are a WINTER white. Even in warm weather climates the "no white shoes" after Labor Day applies.

FYI, I'm not an "old lady" either.
Really? What region are you in, just curious? In Chicago TONS of girls have been wearing white shoes in winter, more the fashionista types, and some of them look really good, others not so much as with anything.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Really? What region are you in, just curious? In Chicago TONS of girls have been wearing white shoes in winter, more the fashionista types, and some of them look really good, others not so much as with anything.
Well, I'm on the eastern seaboard and think white shoes have always looked ridiculous because of how easily they become dirty and gray. I'll stick with black shoes - as black matches everything.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:35 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
Hm, maybe it is just a regional thing or something. Personally, I prefer tall, flat soled, black leather boots in the winter since they keep me warm and can be washed off. I think in Chicago the white shoes in winter thing is all about status. As in, "I am rich enough to go straight from my garage to the cab to the trendy restaurant's valet, look at how my white shoes are sparkly even in winter." LOL. Personally, I think it has more to do with the style and fabric/texture of the shoe than the color though, as far as what should be worn when.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 AM

Then again, are they wearing black socks?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:00 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Then again, are they wearing black socks?
NO!!!

The other day we saw a woman that was wearing a WAY TOO TIGHT black miniskirt and white high heeled boots w/ fringe. There were SOOOO many things wrong w/ the picture it was not even funny. My 14 yo about died when she saw the entire getup. I wish I could have gotten a pic of this as it was PRICELESS! It was sooooo bad you HAD to stare.

You don't even see the "higher society" or "rich" here wearing white shoes in the summer either. White dress shoes have been out for a long time. They just don't look good at all. If someone in the "high society" or "rich" here wore white shoes out they would be quickly banished and talked about. NOW, there is a difference in a WINTER WHITE shoe and WHITE. There is also a difference in the types of "whites" that are out there that are more acceptable and look a LOT better with outfits that some would wear white/white with. I just don't like white shoes period be it flats or heels. They don't flow as well as other choices available. The old days of having only black, navy or white shoes to pick from are long gone. Thank goodness as I'm a TRUE shoe fanatic.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:00 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
NEVER - it looks horrible.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:49 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
It really depends on the look and type of styling. But generally sticking very light shoes below dark legs will do two unflattering things: Make you feet look bigger AND make your legs look stumpy. White shoes are kinda terrible I think...Go with a cream if you like white. Save the black hose for your black shoes unless you are doing something mod funky and don't mind your legs looking stumpy. But I swear it even makes some 6ft women have a stumped out look.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:55 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times
Quote:
That sounds pretty hideous with one possible exception... if the hose are an opaque black and the shoes are a chunky, shiny, mod-style heel and you are going for that specific mod style. White patent leather wedges with black tights and a cute shift could work if worn by the right person.

To the poster who said no white shoes after Labor Day, lmao! This isn't 1950, as long as the shoes are season-appropriate (not strappy sandals in January in the north) I'm pretty sure those rules don't apply anymore.
I agree, especially if there were some sort of black ribbon or partial hounds tooth pattern.

At first I was horrified, but I can see it working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty