U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:44 PM

1,367 posts, read 4,985,265 times

Advertisements

So, I'm thinking of trying a self-tanner for the first time. I've read about it before, and know that you need to exfoliate first, start out lite, wipe it off fingers and toes, etc. My question is, how are you supposed to do your back? I mean, I'm somewhat flexible, but not flexible enough to get an even coat over my whole back. Are there sprays??

Also, which brands would you recommend? I know I've heard of tanner wipes also, are those just for the face or for all over? I don't mind paying more if the results are better. And, how long do they last? If I apply it on a Friday, if it turns out horrible will it at least be gone by Monday?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 01:44 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,950,682 times
I am pale. So my preference is the kind that's part self-tanner, part daily moisturizer. My favorite brand is HawaiianTropic Island Glow. (It smells better than some.) Hard to say how long it would last on you. Usually 2-4 days if you don't re-apply. At least that's been my experience but may depend on how "dark" you make your skin too. I don't do my back. So no suggestions there.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:23 PM

10,762 posts, read 19,147,216 times
I only do my legs so I can't help either. If you want your entire body, maybe check into the spray tan places? I heard and seen that it looks very natural.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:47 PM

43 posts, read 117,949 times
You should try self-tanner to confirm if it works for you and if you are happy with the results. I perfer a stand up tanning bed (lay down beds I don't like to lay in sweat or touch the glass). I tried the tanning spray and I did not like it. Natural sun is the best if you have healthy skin that takes to it, as I dooooooooooo.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:47 PM

Yeah, I am trying to avoid sun/tanning beds though. At 27 I'm starting to see some of the results of tanning/not taking care of my skin... so will try to be responsible this summer.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:36 PM

513 posts, read 1,884,318 times
Sephora sells a tanning spray (I think it's Mystic Tan) than you can even hold upside down to spray, so you could do your back. Haven't used it so I can't vouch for the results. Sephora: Mystic Tan Perfect Tan Kit - Body™ ($66 Value): Bronzers & Self-Tanners

Old 02-22-2009, 08:53 AM

3,785 posts, read 8,805,126 times
Neutrogena has a no-rub micromist spray that I use--it works for me. Pay attention to the instructions, though, because last year I ended up buying a spray product that you still had to rub in. I found out the hard way that just b/c it says spray, doesn't mean it isn't no rub.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:56 PM

5,124 posts, read 12,772,608 times
I've just tried Banana Boats dark summer color....I'll let you know. I usually use Jergens, but hate the smell!
This product has no discernable odor, but it looks like MUD going on! It does rub in, and says "no streaking", but we'll see! I've had the 1st application on for about 1 1/2 hours--and my skin is looking darker--no streaks yet!

Almost any of the self tanners give a decent color nowadays---none are that "orange" tint like it used to be years and years ago!

Old 02-22-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I've just tried Banana Boats dark summer color....I'll let you know. I usually use Jergens, but hate the smell!
This product has no discernable odor, but it looks like MUD going on! It does rub in, and says "no streaking", but we'll see! I've had the 1st application on for about 1 1/2 hours--and my skin is looking darker--no streaks yet!

Almost any of the self tanners give a decent color nowadays---none are that "orange" tint like it used to be years and years ago!
The no-orange thing is good to know... I'm still traumatized from the time in highschool I decided to try self-tan and apparently my legs looked striped. I thought I looked AWESOME till a friend saw my legs (through tights!) and asked if I used a tanner!

Old 02-23-2009, 04:04 PM

809 posts, read 2,554,586 times
anytime i've EVER used a lotion self tanner and layer it on progressively over a weeks time........ about a week LATER my skin starts to naturally slough off and the "tan" part starts to get patchy and I look diseased........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty