U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:32 PM

18,280 posts, read 17,657,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
FWIW Patrica has admitted to having loads of plastic surgery. She looks good, but still not a fair measure of what a normal, healthy 50 yo woman looks like (or should aspire to look like).
Huh? I completely disagree. She had a tummy tuck, after having 3 kids she had a lot of stretched skin that she could not correct with exercise. And she had a breast reduction. I don't see any problem with that, or how it makes her "not a fair measure of what a normal healthy 50 yo woman looks like".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 11:51 PM

285 posts, read 776,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Huh? I completely disagree. She had a tummy tuck, after having 3 kids she had a lot of stretched skin that she could not correct with exercise. And she had a breast reduction. I don't see any problem with that, or how it makes her "not a fair measure of what a normal healthy 50 yo woman looks like".
Huh? I guess I don't know why this is so hard to figure out, dear. No one said there was a "problem" with the work she's had done but no, as a matter of fact, it is not what a normal, healthy, 50 yo woman looks like who has aged naturally. Thus, not a real fair measure of what a typical 50 yo looks like- even one who takes exceptional care of herself. See the dots? Connect them.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:24 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,647,432 times
I think as you age you look better carrying a little more weight, but that doesn't mean chubby and definitely not overweight. I don't expect to be as thin as I am now when I am 50, but I certainly hope to be at a healthy weight and relatively slim.
There is an older woman I know who is very thin and probably around 60 and she looks so elegant compared to most women her age. Her face may show the age a bit more, but overall she looks younger. She still has a waist, which older women all seem to lose....

Old 02-13-2009, 07:21 AM

18,280 posts, read 17,657,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
Huh? I guess I don't know why this is so hard to figure out, dear. No one said there was a "problem" with the work she's had done but no, as a matter of fact, it is not what a normal, healthy, 50 yo woman looks like who has aged naturally. Thus, not a real fair measure of what a typical 50 yo looks like- even one who takes exceptional care of herself. See the dots? Connect them.
You are the one missing the dots, "dear". You clearly have issues with ANYONE that has aged well. Many of us have, and have aged even better than dear Patricia, and done it "naturally". That was my point. Connect THOSE dots, sweetie.

Getting older is no excuse for not staying in shape.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:11 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,100,775 times
I'll chime in here since I'm over 40 .

I think it varies greatly person to person as to how they carry weight. If I could gain a pound or two and have it keep me from getting any wrinkles in my face then that would be great. Unfortunately, that isn't where it goes - it goes straight to my middle section.

There is no doubt it's harder as we get older to keep weight off. I used to be able to eat anything I wanted and never had to worry about exercising. Then I hit my mid 30's. I now consider myself in better shape then I ever was when I was younger. There is no way I'd use the excuse of wanting to reduce wrinkles as a reason to gain weight. There are health factors for women and the weight gain around the middle.

The picture of Madonna, I think looks great. It looks like she just came from the gym - natural and like she had no makeup on.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:45 AM

4,232 posts, read 8,334,617 times
I'll be 47 next month, have never had plastic surgery, have two children (c-sec, both), try to exercise 3-5x a week.

I used to weigh in at 115-119 (5'5"). I hover around 130 right now. I get carded every now & then. If I had to guess my age, I'd say mid 30's if I didn't know me. I've got pics; see for yourself.

I think it's all about genes. You can be old slim & look great or you can look like a shriveled up raison. It's all about genes/heredity.

Your looks can also could be affected by the amount of stress you bottle up, sun worshipping & substance abuse.

Exercise relieves stress, most people don't get enough. Diet makes a world of difference and I can always tell how much better I feel when I eat healthy vs. having a day of junk food. I don't believe in not having a drink, but I think moderation is key.

I think there is WAY TOO MUCH FOCUS on whether people are too thin or gained weight & it all keeps shouting at us everytime we're in the check out lane in the supermarket...jessica simpson gained weight, some else is a skelaton...there is just no happy freakin' medium for women today. If we would all apreciate the body we have & do our best to work with what we've got and disregard the media, we'd all feel a lot better about ourselves.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:47 AM

1,040 posts, read 2,252,637 times
As a woman over 50, I am more interested in what my body can do for me than how I look.I am quite thin, AND, I have wrinkles,which I attribute more to having spent too much time in the sun than to being thin.I agree with the above post.Any few pounds I gain would do nothing to help my face anyway.I think I look fine,my husband thinks I look GOOD,and most importantly,I feel light,energetic,and I can run a fairly descent 5K. With the mounting evidence that I am finding about fewer calories in, equaling longer,HEALTHIER life, I will make the choice to be thinner. As someone else mentioned,a face can always be altered if you choose. Fat injections,botox etc.I will just age naturally,take care of my skin as best I can,and aim for this body to take me to 100!

Old 02-13-2009, 12:01 PM

285 posts, read 776,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You are the one missing the dots, "dear". You clearly have issues with ANYONE that has aged well. Many of us have, and have aged even better than dear Patricia, and done it "naturally". That was my point. Connect THOSE dots, sweetie.

Getting older is no excuse for not staying in shape.
Lol- trust me, I have absolutely no issues with anyone who has aged well. In fact I think it's fantastic. I know insecure people often have to invent reasons why other people are "jealous" of them, but save it sweetheart.

I feel like your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired here...
You are going WAY out on an illogical limb and saying that because *some* 50 yo old women look better than a television star who has admitted to having had surgical help (as well as wardrobe and makeup assistance), that's a fair standard by which to judge the average 50 yo old woman. Really? I mean, really? Because when I look around me, that is certainly not the norm. And I applaud women who have aged gracefully and naturally. Patricia Heaton (and anyone else) is free to have whatever surgery she wants to have- but it still doesn't make her a fair standard by which to judge women who have neither the means nor the inclination to resort to physical "renovations".

Got it now?

Old 02-13-2009, 01:27 PM

4,784 posts, read 8,028,482 times
LMAO, some of the posts on this thread are hilarious!

jkcoop, ITA all the way with you, until you mentioned Madonna. Fat or thin, I couldn't find her attractive, she is just too mannish. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I wouldn't hold her up as a great example of someone who is 50. And I've heard that she's had plastic surgery, as I suspect most celebs have. Although whether she has or hasn't, I still think she looks scary. (and I do agree that Patricia Heaton looks great at 50, plastic surgery or no) At any rate, I personally know a few women over 40 who recently lost weight, and while they look great from the neck down, they do look older in the face. It's very hard for many older women to look youthful and be thin at the same time. I'm striving for somewhere in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I'll chime in here since I'm over 40 .

I think it varies greatly person to person as to how they carry weight. If I could gain a pound or two and have it keep me from getting any wrinkles in my face then that would be great. Unfortunately, that isn't where it goes - it goes straight to my middle section.

There is no doubt it's harder as we get older to keep weight off. I used to be able to eat anything I wanted and never had to worry about exercising. Then I hit my mid 30's. I now consider myself in better shape then I ever was when I was younger. There is no way I'd use the excuse of wanting to reduce wrinkles as a reason to gain weight. There are health factors for women and the weight gain around the middle.

The picture of Madonna, I think looks great. It looks like she just came from the gym - natural and like she had no makeup on.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:39 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,212,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
As a woman over 50, I am more interested in what my body can do for me than how I look.I am quite thin, AND, I have wrinkles,which I attribute more to having spent too much time in the sun than to being thin. <snip> I think I look fine,my husband thinks I look GOOD,and most importantly,I feel light,energetic,and I can run a fairly descent 5K.
Preach it, Sistah! I know that a forum dedicated to fashion and beauty probably isn't the place to de-emphasize beauty, but I applaud how you think about your body. I think too many women are too afraid of their own ... what? ... mortality? ... aging? We get old. We get wrinkles. Our hair turns grey. What is so horrific about this process that has us running so scared? We'll dye our hair until it's crispy, inject botulism into our faces, slice up our bodies, and now gain weight to fill out the wrinkles in our face. Sorry, but I think I'd rather be fit and healthy than try to look like I'm 10 years younger if I have to do all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty