U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 06:16 PM

350 posts, read 3,431,277 times

Advertisements

While I'm not hirsuite by any means, I have more body hair than the average woman. This has always been a problem for me. In grade school I was teased all the time because of the hair on my arms and legs. I started shaving in second grade!

Now my legs only last one-two days before I need to shave again, and the stubble is thick and coarse. I wax my eyebrows and mustache, and I probably should start to wax my chin. I don't have much of a problem with other facial hair or sideburns. And I don't have a problem with hair on my torso, but my arm hair is very noticeable.

It doesn't help that I'm a brunette with very fast-growing hair. When I get my eyebrows waxed, it's only a week until the hair has completely grown back.

Anyone else? Does it ever take a toll on your self-esteem? I feel like I've developed a bit of social anxiety because of it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 06:35 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,720,764 times
Join the club! I have to shave my legs EVERY day--twice if I'm going "out" or wearing shorts! My arms have alot of hair, too, but at least it's blond and no one has ever run away from me! I do have a great head of hair--long, thick and shiny, so given a choice of no body hair and thin, scraggly head hair, I'll take what I have!
Shoot, after shaving my legs for all these years, I can do it in no time, with my eyes closed! It's not that big of a deal! Try bleaching your arm hair, so it won't be so noticable (they do carry "body hair" bleaches!) and trim it--that makes it look thinner, too.
I feel for you, but don't let this ruin your self-esteem! If someone thinks it's a "turn-off", then they aren't the right person for you!!!!!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:32 PM

The problem for me with the leg shaving is that if I shave with the grain then I get a bad shave--i.e. not very close. If I shave against the grain, I get a great shave--very close but I get horrible razor burn every time and little read bumps on my legs along with cuts. I even use my husband's razors because I feel they do a better job.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:55 AM

27 posts, read 75,308 times
I personally do not have this issue, but a good friend of mine did. She had a lot of hair and it was thick - it grew back fast and waxing didn't work very well because the hair was so tough. She used an epilator and it has helped her a lot, even I noticed the difference. She's been using it for a few years and a lot of the hair doesn't even grow back anymore.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:20 AM

2,579 posts, read 4,783,477 times
I strongly recommend that you try professional laser hair removal. It actually works best on thick, dark hair. Best thing ever invented! I and several of my friends have done it on various body parts, and we're all really happy with the results.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:25 AM

8,415 posts, read 34,331,463 times
Have you tried that NO!NO! product for at home treatment. I haven't myself as its $$$ but if you want to try it I'm just letting you know. I would just make sure about return policies because its gotten mixed reviews. Its not for the face.

I DIY remove my deals...It never bothered me really because I can take care of it myself.

You could also try waxing your legs to see if that gets your hair thinner at all. It does that to some. I have to say myself its worked on my arms really well. I don't wax my legs enough to get results from it.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:54 AM

494 posts, read 1,088,454 times
yes, but my hair problem is with my legs only. it has gotten worse these last two years and i think it has to do with my thyroid problems. i used to be fine shaving once in two days, now i can't let a day go by without shaving, i have contemplated doing laser hair removal but unfortunately i don't have the time to do so many treatments to get to the bottom of it. so i wanted just to say to try not let it bother you or bring you down. a lot of us deal with that same thing on daily basis, but it has become a part of who i am. so meet me, and my best buddy...razor

Old 02-13-2009, 01:09 PM

In the winter I don't bother much with it--I wear pants all winter and my husband doesn't mind my hairy legs--so I don't shave much. In the summer, I shave about once every two days--but I get such bad razor burn from shaving against the grain.

Question: do you shave with or against the grain? Which is the proper technique? If I shave with the grain I don't get razor burn but I get a terrible shave.

I never really considered laser treatments, as I'm sure they are expensive. The leg hair isn't so much the problem as is the arm hair. Waxing takes care of my eyebrows and lip but it just doesn't last very long--a week and I'm back to pre-wax furriness.

I feel self-conscious about all the hair, I will admit. I was teased mercilessly in elementary and middle school about this, which is why I started shaving in second grade!

I also have nose hairs that I have to keep trimmed too. Ugh!!!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 01:31 PM

2,579 posts, read 4,783,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
yi have contemplated doing laser hair removal but unfortunately i don't have the time to do so many treatments to get to the bottom of it.
But you have time to shave every day for the rest of your life?? I don't understand how you can not have time to do about 7 treatments that might free you from stubble for the rest of your life.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:01 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,331,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
In the winter I don't bother much with it--I wear pants all winter and my husband doesn't mind my hairy legs--so I don't shave much. In the summer, I shave about once every two days--but I get such bad razor burn from shaving against the grain.

Question: do you shave with or against the grain? Which is the proper technique? If I shave with the grain I don't get razor burn but I get a terrible shave.

I never really considered laser treatments, as I'm sure they are expensive. The leg hair isn't so much the problem as is the arm hair. Waxing takes care of my eyebrows and lip but it just doesn't last very long--a week and I'm back to pre-wax furriness.

I feel self-conscious about all the hair, I will admit. I was teased mercilessly in elementary and middle school about this, which is why I started shaving in second grade!

I also have nose hairs that I have to keep trimmed too. Ugh!!!!!
How you shave really depends on your skin. Some people are just too sensitive to go against the growth. You should use an oil to shave with. Slick up your legs and let it soak in. Apply more to shave with.
Always use a new razor every time. Or at least don't use your razor to death.
Single blades give less irritation. Rinse after each stroke.

I like the with the grain method with a against the grain follow up.
It seems to give me less irritation that way.
I also like to dab some clean and clear on areas I know tend to break out from shaving (especially in the summer). Most any acne toner with sal. acid or ben. peroxide will work. But watch it doesn't bleach your clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty