U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:49 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,206,992 times
Default High Foreheads on Women in Media

I have noticed lately that some women - models, actresses, commentators - seem to have hairlines that start very high on the forhead. These look like a natural hairline, but what I find as curious is that women who had these high foreheads years back had thin, fine, hair.

These women have thick manes.

A few years back I would sometimes see this coupled with short, wispy hairs in front, not long enough to be bangs.

Then, I saw a commentator who I often see. Her hair had slipped back a notch and I realized she was wearing a wig.

So, now I am wondering if many of these women shave their hairline higher to more easily accommodate wigs? Or, perhaps it prevents longish hair from falling into their faces - a problem that is usually solved with bangs or clips and combs.

Some of these women seem so unnatural that you can see the beginning of the dome of the skull curving backward.

It is not unattractive. There just appear to be a lot of this 'look' now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 11:03 AM

8,424 posts, read 23,806,424 times
I don't know if its really a trend for now..I think back to some HUGE foreheads in the 70s...Charlie's Angels all had them. I think wigs and extensions are just more popular now than ever. That will make you hair look like a mane. Personally I shape the front line of my hair like Afro Amer. dudes do but rip it out instead of buzzing it into shape. It just looks neater like shaping your brows. It opens up the face.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:02 PM

285 posts, read 761,747 times
Hmmm, that's a good question. I do think wigs and hair pieces are pretty popular. I don't know about others, but I have a fairly high forehead but a thick mane of hair. The high forehead has been a signal of female beauty for a long time, and I know that back in the day, a lot of actresses had their hairlines moved back to achieve that look.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:57 PM

3,239 posts, read 4,471,091 times
High foreheads and shorter chins are supposed to be more attractive on women. Vice verse for men.
Most models and actresses do have faces like that.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:06 PM

I don't like really low foreheads.
They make a person look kind of brutish to me.
I think of Sean Hannity.

The woman that I notice with this look don't look as though it was how they were born. I mean, the girls in high school did not have them. I think I am talking about something that has been a bit overdone, so that it is definitely noticeable once your attention is called to it.

Do you think they shave it off, or pluck as the person above mentions?

Old 02-13-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I don't like really low foreheads.
They make a person look kind of brutish to me.
I think of Sean Hannity.

The woman that I notice with this look don't look as though it was how they were born. I mean, the girls in high school did not have them. I think I am talking about something that has been a bit overdone, so that it is definitely noticeable once your attention is called to it.

Do you think they shave it off, or pluck as the person above mentions?
They might have the hairs removed. I think it's done through threading or electrolysis. Something like that.

I saw an episode of America's Next Top Model where they did threading to an Indian girl, as her forehead was a bit low. I think they may do that to achieve the more "ideal" proportions of a high forehead & smaller chin/jaw.

If not getting them raised, some celebrities have their hairlines "adjusted" to make it more even (get rid of baby hairs, etc.).
Like everything, it seems that Hollywood has to exaggerate "ideals".

I believe that Rita Hayworth had her hairline raised as well. The studio did it to make her appear less "Hispanic", supposedly. Apparently, people of Latin origin have lower hairlines ....eh, I don't really see the connection.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:41 AM

4,776 posts, read 7,684,880 times
That's interesting, I hadn't noticed. I will have to start looking closer at these women. I do know that centuries ago, a high forehead was common among royalty. That look was desirable. In more recent times, some people equate a high forehead with intelligence. Personally, I have a high forehead and have spent my entire life trying to conceal it with my hair. I just don't like the look of a high forehead, but maybe that's just me. I think a really low forehead can be unattractive too, though.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:29 PM

7,065 posts, read 2,010,739 times
I have a feeling the 'high forehead' is going to be the next 'big lips' fad.

God help us all.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:05 PM

I saw one actress in a program that appears weekly. She obviously wears a short wig. Very natural looking. I would not have noticed had it not been placed back too far in one scene.

I like higher foreheads, but some are too overdone for my taste.

Don't some cartoonists do children like that, higher forehead than normal and smaller chins?

I keep thinking back to the 'ideal' of beauty in some spheres that is childlike, like the teeny-weeny voices of J.Kennedy and M.Monroe. And the little mincing steps that were once so adored in Japan and forced on women at one time with long tight skirts.

Like 'I am totally helpless and no threat. I have the brain of a child'.

That is a bit exaggerated, and probably has nothing to do with the high forehead 'fad'.

Back to that actress - I think she did that for the ease of wearing wigs.

Does anyone know - does Oprah wear wigs? I think her friend, Gayle, does.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:17 PM

^ Actually, "youthful" qualities often are related to some feminine beauty ideals. Something about being younger means you're likely more fertile, blah blah blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty