U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2009, 04:37 PM
 
6,586 posts, read 16,474,943 times
Reputation: 3006

Advertisements

My 14-year-old son has been in a private school uniform for years, but will probably attend public high school. The public school does not wear uniforms. We were in the public school the other day for a brief visit and it looked like every male there had on jeans - both students and teachers.

So, is it just jeans, t-shirts, hoodies and tennis shoes? My son likes wearing a uniform, so this will be a change for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2009, 05:07 PM
 
7,662 posts, read 9,173,723 times
Reputation: 13533
We aren't in your neck of the woods, but the outfit you described is worn my both of my teenage sons, and all of their friends. Don't spend a lot on clothes until he's been in public school a few days. He might want to shop at the same stores he sees his classmates wearing. Here they dress at Pacific Sunwear, Buckle, Hollister, and Abercrombie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2009, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Chicago- Lawrence and Kedzie/Maywood
2,242 posts, read 4,098,283 times
Reputation: 725
Gangsta clothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Coachella Valley, California
15,230 posts, read 25,308,545 times
Reputation: 12400
I also have a 14 year old son who is a freshman. He typically wears jeans (faded, not faded, black, brown), T-shirts, hoodies and shoes. He primarily likes Volcom clothing (he should be a spokesmodel for the company!). We usually shop at Tilly's or any skateboard shop like Revolution or Industry Ride Shops. He likes Etnies or DC shoes. Oh, and the kids like to wear their jeans really low - with the tops of their boxers showing. I think it's a kid thing because I see all the kids doing it, but never see adults doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 11:24 AM
 
Location: South Bay Native
9,758 posts, read 13,699,387 times
Reputation: 13796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I also have a 14 year old son who is a freshman. He typically wears jeans (faded, not faded, black, brown), T-shirts, hoodies and shoes. He primarily likes Volcom clothing (he should be a spokesmodel for the company!). We usually shop at Tilly's or any skateboard shop like Revolution or Industry Ride Shops. He likes Etnies or DC shoes. Oh, and the kids like to wear their jeans really low - with the tops of their boxers showing. I think it's a kid thing because I see all the kids doing it, but never see adults doing it.
My son is a Mark Ecko fiend - he also could be a spokesmodel for Ecko since we have invested heavily in his line.

My son hasn't succumbed to the low trouser/boxers hanging out thing - I think this started with gangbangers?

He also wears shorts a lot, since this is California - the only time he wears jeans or cords is if it's raining or freezing outside. He had at least five different hoodies in various colors - Mark Ecko, Stussy, Hurley..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 11:27 AM
 
4,777 posts, read 7,926,292 times
Reputation: 3101
The kids here haven't been wearing their jeans really low for some time now, but they do all wear jeans. Every region is different, though. I wouldn't start off with specific brands right away, either. Different groups of kids where different brands. My teens would go naked before they'd wear Abercrombie, lol. Yet some groups of kids wear them all the time, maybe the football players? I am not up-to-date on which groups wear what, just that they don't all dress the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
704 posts, read 863,436 times
Reputation: 567
Do your son a favor and don't shop at name brand clothing stores. In fact avoid the mall for clothes. All the clothes there are overpriced and usually poorly made items. When I was 14 (this was 8 years ago, I am 22 now) my Mom got me into shopping at thrift stores. Since there were many different varieties of clothes and they were cheap, she was able to buy a large quantity and allowed me create my own style. Take for granted "my own style" wasn't always the best looking but overtime I figured out what looks best for me. This was also a great bonding experience for me and mom. Oh yes and I must add that many clothes you can find at the mall you can find at thrift stores, so if your son wants that cookie cutter teenage image he can still have it without costing you an arm and a leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Western Mass
1,220 posts, read 2,597,227 times
Reputation: 822
My son is 16 and also favors baggy jeans (although I'm not a big fan of them), oversized t-shirts, hoddies and sneakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Western Mass
1,220 posts, read 2,597,227 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
The kids here haven't been wearing their jeans really low for some time now, but they do all wear jeans. Every region is different, though. I wouldn't start off with specific brands right away, either. Different groups of kids where different brands. My teens would go naked before they'd wear Abercrombie, lol. Yet some groups of kids wear them all the time, maybe the football players? I am not up-to-date on which groups wear what, just that they don't all dress the same.
I'm from the same region as you. A lot of boys here still wear their jeans baggy, but there are some who preferred the more fitted look (i'm noticing). My 14 YO daughter on the other hand loves American Eagle, Hollister and Aeropostal. If I don't find these brands in clearance, we almost always find them in some of the consignment shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 05:34 PM
 
4,777 posts, read 7,926,292 times
Reputation: 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
Do your son a favor and don't shop at name brand clothing stores. In fact avoid the mall for clothes. All the clothes there are overpriced and usually poorly made items. When I was 14 (this was 8 years ago, I am 22 now) my Mom got me into shopping at thrift stores. Since there were many different varieties of clothes and they were cheap, she was able to buy a large quantity and allowed me create my own style. Take for granted "my own style" wasn't always the best looking but overtime I figured out what looks best for me. This was also a great bonding experience for me and mom.
You were very wise! I am so, so lucky that my teens don't like the designer brands. The reason they avoid them is because they feel it is a waste of money. Once my son commented on my Dooney & Burke bag, and said, "that's ridiculous. Why can't you just carry a plastic grocery bag?" LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top