U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:55 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,395,903 times

Advertisements

Hollister moms. It's a term I've coined recently. I never really paid much attention to the people who go in and out of Hollister, American Eagle, and other similar stores until I started to go to the mall again.

What am I talking about?

30-40 year old women baked a deep tan wearing "MALIBU" shirts too small for them and short shorts, shopping in Hollister (known for dimly lit stores with clothing designed for teens and young adults) for their 8 year old children. Usually have hair fried from too many bleaching incidents.

What other kind of "moms gone wrong" make you cringe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 06:57 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,678,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
Hollister moms. It's a term I've coined recently. I never really paid much attention to the people who go in and out of Hollister, American Eagle, and other similar stores until I started to go to the mall again.

What am I talking about?

30-40 year old women baked a deep tan wearing "MALIBU" shirts too small for them and short shorts, shopping in Hollister (known for dimly lit stores with clothing designed for teens and young adults) for their 8 year old children. Usually have hair fried from too many bleaching incidents.

What other kind of "moms gone wrong" make you cringe?
The gracious mom is a relic of the past. Endangered species.

There isn't much conservation initiative in the wild today.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:15 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,488,660 times
If they look good and can pull off the younger look then more power to them. It's a lot better than the "mom jeans and white sneakers" look. I'll take the fake tan and bleached hair over the frumpy look any day. But I do agree that there needs to be appropriate fashion sense within the boundaries of taste and it should be age appropriate as well.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:44 PM

15,533 posts, read 35,646,549 times
There are a couple of ladies who I consider friends, who I see out at the Friday or Saturday night dances. Both of these ladies have children who are almost my age (45) and they dress like 20 year olds - very short skirts, halter tops, etc. Don't get me wrong, I like these ladies a lot and they are very nice, but I just don't have the heart to tell them they look ridiculous. But, as long as they are having a good time out dancing, who am I to judge?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:33 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,272,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
If they look good and can pull off the younger look then more power to them. It's a lot better than the "mom jeans and white sneakers" look. I'll take the fake tan and bleached hair over the frumpy look any day. But I do agree that there needs to be appropriate fashion sense within the boundaries of taste and it should be age appropriate as well.
I couldn't agree more, Mom jeans and keds, blech! Don't forget Big hair with bangs...

Old 03-26-2009, 09:01 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,380,587 times
How 'bout the Mom I saw at our elementary school waiting to pick up her child. She was wearing a tight little t-shirt that said "Looking For A Meaningful One Night Stand" - Lovely. (NOT).

Old 03-26-2009, 09:10 PM

2,868 posts, read 8,444,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post

I agree!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:11 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,208,064 times
Haha...I went on a field trip with my sons class and there was another group from another school there as well. There was a mom there in HOT PANTS, A SUPER TIGHT T SHIRT hugging her double d's and high heels!!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:47 PM

241 posts, read 699,722 times
my friend who is 42 dresses like a teenager and her teenager daughter is to embarrassed to go anywhere with her. She will literally call me or her grandmother to take her places because she is ashamed to be out in public with her mom who dresses provocatively. She even said she got teased at school. I think people should dress age appropriate.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:44 AM

3,681 posts, read 5,380,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Haha...I went on a field trip with my sons class and there was another group from another school there as well. There was a mom there in HOT PANTS, A SUPER TIGHT T SHIRT hugging her double d's and high heels!!
Pitiful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty