U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:17 PM

500 posts, read 2,672,460 times

Advertisements

Oh, boy! Did you say "fashion"? When did Americans care for "fashion"?

They care for comfort, not for aesthetics!

How many people have I seen walking down the street here in New York and elsewhere wearing pajamas? Sleepers? Sweat pants?

And flip flops to work, of course!

Yes, not even New York City is save from the All-American fashion faux-pas!

I used to live in Europe and there people dress to the nines. Even if they're just picking up the newspaper in the newstand around the corner!

Because, totally different from America, Europeans believe in aesthetics and not in comfort.

Maybe implementing a fashion police here around would help us look better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 11:58 PM

114 posts, read 154,686 times
I'm sorry but how can you talk about the way we americans dress. I live in a Society where we like to feel cofortable when going out unless it's for work or a group outing but come on in Europe that is your style of fashion. If you feel you need to wear armani suits just to get the newspaper or gucci shoes to go for your morning run then by all means you do what suits your style but there is something about everyone thats makes them unique. Nothing personal thats just my 2 cents

Old 03-28-2007, 12:48 AM

500 posts, read 2,672,460 times
You are right, Jersey.

America and Europe- they're different lifestyles and different cultures. There's plenty to dislike in both sides.

I was more stating a fact (America's certain lack of fashion) than openly criticizing it.

But honestly, seeing all the flip flops and pajamas in the streets of New York makes me long for those Armani suits ( Europeans wear to buy the newspaper.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:48 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,343,312 times
I had this problem when I managed an agency. Appearance is very important in the workplace and clothing is an extension of marketing the business. It sends a subliminal message to the customer/client about the overall business standards. I would use this as an opportunity to solicite employee involvement in revamping the dress code.

I'd have a staff meeting with fruit, donuts, coffee & juices and tell everyone about the liability issue and that this could affect workers comp claims, as well. Tell them that you have also received several comments about some of the outfits worn to work (from the corporate office and/or customers) and so you have decided that you want to get their input in revamping the dress code.

Tell them that you know that we can't all run out to Dillards and get new wardrobes, but there are small changes that can be made to accomplish our liability issues and raise the bar on our overall appearance to match the quality of work/services that we are known for.

Have a Powerpoint of various options, allow Q & A, vent time, keep redirecting to the positive. Get some funny "worst work outfits" from the web in intersperse, as well as some over-the-top NYC pix, then the bulk should be what you want them to wear. Include some of the ones that might be considered grey areas and just go through them soliciting comments. Make it fun and interactive. When you hit the ones in the grey areas, if the consensus is that they are are okay, you can explain the negs to that look- "I really love those sun dresses, but they don't cover up enough unless a shrug or casual jacket is worn with it." Or that a particular outfit would be better suited to casual Fridays or how it can be dressed up for the rest of the week.

If the group is large and you expect lots of discent, I would make paper paddles with a happy face on one side and a freak-out face on the other. When you flash a picture, have them "vote". Have someone at a whiteboard keeping a "tally". It can even be like a deal or no deal-type game. If it's a smaller group, I'd opt for more discussion.

I'd also set perameters for casual Fridays, as they can devolve into wear-your-old-crap-to-work day. And also start a wear-your-favorite-team-shirt day. Not sure what business you are in, but getting some company polos or the like is another good idea. Staff could get one when they complete their 90 day probationary period, they can purchase them at cost and they can be given as awards for above and beyond service, employment anniversay dates.

In my experience, if it is employee-driven, you will still get some kvetching, but you will have greater staff buy-in and it will be a more positive outcome in the long run.

Flip flops are easy- backless shoes must have a heel of 1 inch or higher. If you hear it flipping, it's not a work shoe. But this is a good opportunity to improve the entire situation in a more or less positive way.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:12 AM

17,165 posts, read 22,182,489 times
here, very good post! have you tried a "girls gone wild" day with the woman in the office?

this boosts moral, and very little invested..

Old 03-28-2007, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
here, very good post! have you tried a "girls gone wild" day with the woman in the office?

Actually, that was what I inherited when I got the job, only it was girls go wild week.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:28 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,018,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

I bet it may boost morale, but it's not anything moral! Just messin' with you; see what the lack of one little letter can do?!

I like casual Fridays, but it can certainly be abused. I remember when it first started up back in the 80s, people were wearing outfits that were appropriate to clean their toilets! Ragged jeans with holes in them, stained T-shirts, etc. C'mon, everyone, you're at work!

Old 03-28-2007, 08:58 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,576,997 times
Speaking of fashion....

Hereinfla has some really good ideas. Are they patented??? :-)

BUT BUT BUT did she tell you about her trench coat look????

lolll

Old 03-28-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Speaking of fashion....

Hereinfla has some really good ideas. Are they patented??? :-)

BUT BUT BUT did she tell you about her trench coat look????

lolll
You kill me! That trench coat was for my part-time job with the "dating" agency!!!

All of my ideas are public domain. I have horror stories about management in my current job (which will be my former job in 2.5 days). I am a manager and during my first couple of months on the job, my manager assigned me the resposibility of "revamping" the Sunshine Committee. It was a written goal in my department's quality improvement plan for the year.

Only thing was, they neglected to inform the Sunshine Committee of this goal. So I go in thinking how much fun this will be and OMG- got chewed a new one. Those people HATED me. Two people apologized after the meeting. The rest thought I was just as heavy-handed as our corporate officers. And no wonder- they were blind sided! Almost two years later, the worst offenders in throwing darts at me are now my closest friends. I've never worked in a place where you had to watch your back, and poo-pooed those who warned me to do so. But those women totally have watched by back and I theirs.

Another time I was told to call the VP at home if I received complaints during the night on the staff that I didn't supervise (different folks from the Sunshine Committee). Again, slight oversight, they never told the staff. So they just thought I took it upon myself to rat them out.

I made up a post-it with "F me" on it and would wear it in front of my office friends when things like that happened, which happened frequently to many. Did I mention that I would be out of there in 2.38 days?!

Old 03-28-2007, 10:48 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,576,997 times
Wow time flies when you're having fun eh?

You started with 2.5 days and ended with 2.38!!! See, it can only get better.

The Sunshine Committee huh? Sounds terrible. Very inappropriately named. Gives our Sunshine state a bad image!

And to top it off, your "duties" weren't as enjoyable as the part-time job!

I sure hope your new job will allow time to still come and spend some "precious moments" with us here. :-))

(pizza anyone???) lolllll

let's see.... about 2.03 now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty