Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:36 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times

Advertisements

ok. Now don't hate on me!!!!. But, what is the fashion sense (for the office, not the local Appco).

As a manager I have to instill dress code- but this is a challenge- in NY people wear blazers/linen March-May--- here they wear Wal-mart sandals.

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 07:46 PM

506 posts, read 1,475,389 times
You said that in NY they wear blazers & linen, and here they wear sandals. That is not a good analogy since they are all completely different articles of clothing. It is also insulting, in my humble opinion, that you assumed it like that.

You said it is an office so I'd say business casual would be most appropriate. No sandals except for maybe Fridays (and even that may be pushing it). Most businesses are going to this (with some exceptions of course, such as law offices). Collared shirt, khakis (possibly jeans on Fridays. Again, it depends on how relaxed you want it to be), loafers, or dress shoes. I don't see why that would be a problem. I don't think you would receive much backlash for that.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:16 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
nothing personal, AA. Its just that they do wear flip-flops- (last week there were like 30-40 people wearing them) and I have to instill new rules. It has to do with liability for the business.

sunny

Old 03-26-2007, 08:21 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
I agree "Business attire" or "business causal" (if you are ok with khakies and a polo type shirt?) should about cover it. However, "sandals" here cover a wide range of shoe. It could mean a pretty little open back or sling back shoe with modest heel, it could also mean beach wear slip ons.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:45 AM

119 posts, read 384,411 times
Well, I'm in Indiana and we wear flip flops too. I think it just depends on the company and what has been allowed. I don't think you can make a blanket statement about people from certain areas only do this or that. I'm sure there are plenty of people in TN that wear blazers to work too.

I've worked other places where you can't wear a backless sandle...some no sandles at all. If you make a rule people will follow it (or won't), but that isn't because they are from NY or TN...people are people...and I bet if they have WalMart in NY there are people up there wearing WalMart sandles too.

Anyway, my two cents worth.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:56 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,862 times
I used to work at a title company just outside of San Francisco. It was suit central until a new manager introduced casual Fridays. It was still corporate attire M-TH, but "business casual" on Fridays. Well. You should have seen how that was (mis)interpereted. T-shirts, Birkenstocks, faded jeans, the whole nine yards. Even in a fashion-centric city like SF, if you don't spell out the boundaries, you will have those who dress like it's a backyard BBQ.

In other words, it's not geographical, it's human nature. Sunny, just determine your policy, make it crystal clear, and everyone will adjust. There will always be some who grumble, but they're the same ones who grumble about EVERYTHING, right? LOL!

Old 03-27-2007, 11:18 AM

243 posts, read 887,361 times
Default Office Dress

Well, I am from New Mexico and I have been chastised on this site for saying I will be wearing to the office in Tennessee the following:
Western Boots
Long Denim Skirt
Turquoise Jewlery and in the winter an Indian Blanket coat or Fringed suede Jacket. What is wrong with this? Some people think I will look like "Annie Oakley" But it's not that way at all!!! In fact I am dressed well for what people wear in this office. Girls come in here wearing sweat pants, jogging shoes and wrinkled tops and pants. I have people come in and comment on how professionaly dressed I am. So, in answer to your question, wear whatever you want as long as your not over or under dressed for the office. You will get a feel for that once you walk into an office and look around at what people are wearing. In today's society the dress codes are very relaxed compared to 40 years ago. Good luck, I think you will do just fine.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:42 AM

64 posts, read 343,955 times
On a NY salary people can afford to buy blazers & linen.

The pay rates in TN are lower and Wal-mart is probably the only place they can afford to shop.

Last edited by new28moon; 03-27-2007 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 03-27-2007, 03:10 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,862 times
I don't buy that reasoning. Are you aware of the cost of living in NYC?

Old 03-27-2007, 10:06 PM

373 posts, read 1,853,026 times
Perhaps folks in your area don't value fashion. Maybe they prefer to spend money on their families. I know that's a big thing where I live (Montana). Also, in my neck of the woods, people don't have much use for anything that's not comfortable or not very functional. Linen wrinkles terribly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty