U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:45 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,331,463 times

Advertisements

Do you all look like total crap at 30 or what?

Like seriously. I have seen this again and again...And well..I have met girls that are 10 years younger than I am and they look about 20 times worse and older than I do. Stop with the age crap. Its annoying and makes no sense at all. Everyone ages at different rates. You think a health nut gym body at 30 is going to look the same as a barfly wench at 30?

Obviously not.

I don't see any age that limits you looks wise until women stop taking care of themselves or hit menopause. (can't avoid what a drop in estrogen does unless you supplement) And even then you don't have to drip with beige and cardigans in some formulaic non-fashion coma.

I am just saying this because it annoys me to no end. In my early years I was terrified that thing were just going to look like a mess after 25. But it was the women's habits that made the mess. Not father time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 01:01 PM

21,139 posts, read 22,112,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Do you all look like total crap at 30 or what?

Like seriously. I have seen this again and again...And well..I have met girls that are 10 years younger than I am and they look about 20 times worse and older than I do. Stop with the age crap. Its annoying and makes no sense at all. Everyone ages at different rates. You think a health nut gym body at 30 is going to look the same as a barfly wench at 30?

Obviously not.

I don't see any age that limits you looks wise until women stop taking care of themselves or hit menopause. (can't avoid what a drop in estrogen does unless you supplement) And even then you don't have to drip with beige and cardigans in some formulaic non-fashion coma.

I am just saying this because it annoys me to no end. In my early years I was terrified that thing were just going to look like a mess after 25. But it was the women's habits that made the mess. Not father time.

Not sure why you are so upset about what someone else looks like but FWIW it's not just women who are capable of letting themselves go...Also, I think some of it comes from parenting. Seriously, one finds themselves all wrapped up in the importance of someone elses life and it's easy to forget to spend time on yourself. That being said, what do beige and cardigans have to do with anything. Still 100% sure what this rant is really about....

Old 03-29-2009, 01:37 PM

3,844 posts, read 5,105,836 times
Having passed 25 a while back, I can honestly say I'm not falling apart, but I have adjusted my wardrobe a bit. I just can't pull off the look of certain clothes anymore, nor do I want to. I bounce between skinny jeans and boots on weekends to my favorite 'granny' sweater with khakis and loafers on chilly days. As for career wear, the simpler, the better. Gone are the bangle bracelets and frills. Now I love longer skirts with heels; classy, structured tops with full cut pants, maybe a scarf. Best of all, I don't care what anyone thinks!

Old 03-29-2009, 01:47 PM

21,139 posts, read 22,112,687 times
I agree - I just wasn't sure if she was talking about physically (due to the gym rat comment) or fashion-wise or both. And seriously, 25? I have seen "gym rats" that look almost as bad as "bar rats" due to too much time spent in the tanning bed...being bad to your skin is just as aging - and you don't see that until over 40. Smoking/alcohol also add the years on -even if you are slender. Some beige cardigans can be quite fashionable. Good all-around health (including mental), good posture and a good attitude go far in one's outward appearance. Things do get harder as one gets older but I certainly didn't notice much difference until after 35....then again at 45.....still possible - just takes more effort and finding the time and energy to do it can be difficult. Now that I'm down to 1 child at home, I am starting to find more "me" time....

ETA - also, the PP is correct - there is nothing tackier (IMO) than someone trying to dress the same as a person 20-30+ years their junior. You certainly don't need to be frumpy but even a buff 50 y.o. shouldn't be dressing like a 25 y.o. Sorry.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:44 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,963,726 times
to each their own. I'll dress however I please and everyone should do the same. I just don't judge what others choose to wear. And I never even concern myself with how old they "might" be............I simply do not care.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:51 PM
KB4

387 posts, read 1,095,680 times
There is a HUGE range of clothing BETWEEN tacky and frumpy.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:11 PM

6,815 posts, read 14,590,585 times
... and tacky and frumpy are both in the eye of the beholder, anyway.

Complaining about someone wearing beige or white tennis shoes, showing knees past the age of 40 or whatever just means the complainer needs to worry about something a wee bit more important.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:25 PM

4,551 posts, read 9,863,075 times
I work in a pharmacy and gosh some of my 17 and 18 year old customers are already so fat and out of shape I don't know what is in store for them. I am way older than them and my body is way better.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:37 PM

5,258 posts, read 7,790,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
to each their own. I'll dress however I please and everyone should do the same. I just don't judge what others choose to wear. And I never even concern myself with how old they "might" be............I simply do not care.
Amen!

If someone wants to criticize me for something I'm wearing...then I think they should realize that they're coming off as being foolish. I could care less about what someone chooses to wear, and I think that getting worked up over something like that is stupid.

To illustrate my point...yesterday I went to the supermarket with my son. As we were standing in a particular aisle getting items, a women who must have been around 50 started chastizing me about what I was wearing (I had on a pair of cargo shorts and a shirt that I had knotted above my navel). She started ranting and raving about how I was showing too much skin, dressing like a teenager and setting a bad example for my son. She was sounding stupid, and people around us started shaking their heads and talking about how ridiculous she sounded. My son was getting annoyed, and eventually I told her that she was making herself look ridiculous and that she shouldn't concern herself with other people's business. Why can't people just 'live and let live'?

Old 03-29-2009, 07:39 PM

15,533 posts, read 35,652,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Amen!

If someone wants to criticize me for something I'm wearing...then I think they should realize that they're coming off as being foolish. I could care less about what someone chooses to wear, and I think that getting worked up over something like that is stupid.

To illustrate my point...yesterday I went to the supermarket with my son. As we were standing in a particular aisle getting items, a women who must have been around 50 started chastizing me about what I was wearing (I had on a pair of cargo shorts and a shirt that I had knotted above my navel). She started ranting and raving about how I was showing too much skin, dressing like a teenager and setting a bad example for my son. She was sounding stupid, and people around us started shaking their heads and talking about how ridiculous she sounded. My son was getting annoyed, and eventually I told her that she was making herself look ridiculous and that she shouldn't concern herself with other people's business. Why can't people just 'live and let live'?
And you didn't smack the b*tch, Amanda???!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or