Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:54 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
I think I posted the links to the sites, let me check just in case.
You did. I just thought maybe they were your creations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 12:57 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,588 times
No...I'll introduce those soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
You did. I just thought maybe they were your creations.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:59 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
1. Awful. Chiffon + leopard print?
2. Skirt looks great. Versatile piece. Length would be too short on a tall woman.
3. Yuk.
4. Great if fabric is good. Should flatter most people.
5. No.
6. Looks cheap like too much spandex.
7. Great colors. Works well as cruise clothing. Hope it's not synthetic.
8. ?
9. Chiffon? Fabric is too thin for large sizes. Would need too many foundation garments to pull it off. The color will not appeal to alot of women.
10. Same as #9.

I understand that you're surveying clothing for the 18-34 yr old age group. My daughter is in her mid-20s and these clothes would not appeal to her. One of the problems is that plus-sized women need good fabric for their clothes--I mean, good quality, not cheap, synthetic lightweight fabrics. Second, there doesn't appear to be much tailoring in these clothes. Plus-sized women need things that accentuate the positives and downplay the negatives. For example, strong necklines and collars, better-fitting torsos and sleeves and trousers that neither gap up nor strangle the body. I'm talking about clean lines here. The majority of (off the rack) clothing do not address the different body types, including plus sizes. For example, how many times have we seen skirt or dress hems that are lower in the front than the back? It's because there is a rear back there and these clothes do not adjust the hemlines, which should be lowered in the back so it appears even all the way around!

Third, I don't see any kind of creative coordinating in these pics. Alot of women I know already have the staples (i.e., black trousers, long-sleeve white shirt, etc.) and are simply looking for something to add onto their wardrobes, especially just to freshen it up for a season. Most women also have their favorite scarves, jewelry, hats, etc. that could easily combine with new designs.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:44 PM

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I'm going to add some of your response to this thread. Just so that I can keep 'em all together.

Plus Size Divas???

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
1. Awful. Chiffon + leopard print?
2. Skirt looks great. Versatile piece. Length would be too short on a tall woman.
3. Yuk.
4. Great if fabric is good. Should flatter most people.
5. No.
6. Looks cheap like too much spandex.
7. Great colors. Works well as cruise clothing. Hope it's not synthetic.
8. ?
9. Chiffon? Fabric is too thin for large sizes. Would need too many foundation garments to pull it off. The color will not appeal to alot of women.
10. Same as #9.

I understand that you're surveying clothing for the 18-34 yr old age group. My daughter is in her mid-20s and these clothes would not appeal to her. One of the problems is that plus-sized women need good fabric for their clothes--I mean, good quality, not cheap, synthetic lightweight fabrics. Second, there doesn't appear to be much tailoring in these clothes. Plus-sized women need things that accentuate the positives and downplay the negatives. For example, strong necklines and collars, better-fitting torsos and sleeves and trousers that neither gap up nor strangle the body. I'm talking about clean lines here. The majority of (off the rack) clothing do not address the different body types, including plus sizes. For example, how many times have we seen skirt or dress hems that are lower in the front than the back? It's because there is a rear back there and these clothes do not adjust the hemlines, which should be lowered in the back so it appears even all the way around!

Third, I don't see any kind of creative coordinating in these pics. Alot of women I know already have the staples (i.e., black trousers, long-sleeve white shirt, etc.) and are simply looking for something to add onto their wardrobes, especially just to freshen it up for a season. Most women also have their favorite scarves, jewelry, hats, etc. that could easily combine with new designs.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:17 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
I also liked #7. fun colors and the pattern is over the top and garish

I really don't like large swaths of animal print. I don't think I could personally pull it off and I haven't seen many women of any size who can (maybe a nice animal print accessory like a belt or even just a shirt collar might work)

going off w/ what everyone else said, I agree that clothes in general seem to be made w/ much thinner, stretchy material that doesn't look nice on everyone. I don't like super thin and clingy material that allows the outlines of my bra to be seen or people to guess whether I have a "innie" or an "outtie". I'm an apple shape so don't want stuff tightly clinging to my belly and making me look pregnant. it's always hard for me to buy clothes b/c I either end up w/ something too tight or too billowy

Old 04-15-2009, 10:04 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,443 times
Is this thread about whether we think plus size people are yay or nay, or solely about the designs posted at the top? :P

Old 04-16-2009, 06:56 AM

253 posts, read 805,713 times
Default hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Hello jsqueezer.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to this thread.

Yes, I am a plus sized designer and city data is one of the many avenues I use to get information on my target customer.

I'm not a buyer, if that's what your asking. I design my own clothing and I design for others as well.

I KNOW more plus sized women than "normal sized" women.

My demographic is 18-34 yr olds particularly, however I can appreciate the opinions from females of any age range. Most of what I design can be worn anywhere.

If there is one thing I've learned about plus sized women, it's that we are not all the same. Some of us are rectangular, some apples-shaped, some pear-shaped. Then there is the triangle shaped, the inverted triangle shaped (it's a challenge I tell ya ) etc..

Then there's the realization that there are alot of other issues that have to be taken into account when designing for this market. There are alot of psychological issues (customer buying behaviors) that play a huge role in what the plus sized customer likes and dislikes. As disheartening as it is to see, society's disdain for the "woman of a certain size" play an intricate role in how certain women feel about themselves, which in turn affects how they want to dress their full-sized figures. Sadly, it also effects how they view women who are plus sized but don't subscribe to covering it up mentality.

I understand not every plus-sized woman is comfortable with certain looks and that not every one is going to like everything, but ultimately my goal is to encourage the "bigger gal" to appreciate her beauty regardless of what her size is and to encourage her to dress in a way that communicates that.
I for one didnt look at the pics of your products, after reading thru some of the post, i didnt need to, im 37, im not overly huge, but i do carry about 40lbs more then i should, and all in the middle. Im also naturally large breasted, so needless to say, i have to agree with others here, no one wants to advertise so to speak their worse spots, last thing i want to do is show off my thicker hips/middle or my tummy and butt.
i wear alot of stuff that is fashion current, i just revamp it to suit my shape. ive got very slim legs and arms, not normal in women who are heavier, so i will wear tighter fitten down the leg pants to accent slimmer legs, and i will wear a hip length shirt with slim sleeves and decent cleavage cut, that way focus is not on my middle.
i wouldnt wear bright festive patterns to draw attention, i wil lwear colors, but in slimming patterns,
funny thing is, watch that show with the gay guy on tv who dresses woman with bit of meat on their bones, he knows what he is doing, im always amazed on how he can take something you already have and cut here and tuck there and wow!!!
not every woman is the same, and yes, your stuff may sell, but only cuz women who got meat on their bones have no other options, so they are forced to buy the circus clothes people think we should wear instead of making clothes we would like to wear that will flatter us as individuals, not makeing clothes that suits one form of heavy woman, but clothes that are versitile to all types of heavy woman, like jeans, not all of us want a pair of jeans that will fit our hips, yet are 3 times to big down the legs, dont assume all woman with one waist size also has legs that are big to.
food for thought best of luck to you

Old 04-16-2009, 09:21 AM

The clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
Is this thread about whether we think plus size people are yay or nay, or solely about the designs posted at the top? :P

Old 04-16-2009, 09:22 AM

Thanks for responding....

This will also be filed in the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I also liked #7. fun colors and the pattern is over the top and garish

I really don't like large swaths of animal print. I don't think I could personally pull it off and I haven't seen many women of any size who can (maybe a nice animal print accessory like a belt or even just a shirt collar might work)

going off w/ what everyone else said, I agree that clothes in general seem to be made w/ much thinner, stretchy material that doesn't look nice on everyone. I don't like super thin and clingy material that allows the outlines of my bra to be seen or people to guess whether I have a "innie" or an "outtie". I'm an apple shape so don't want stuff tightly clinging to my belly and making me look pregnant. it's always hard for me to buy clothes b/c I either end up w/ something too tight or too billowy

Old 04-16-2009, 09:58 AM

Although it would have been beneficial for you to look at the images before responding...........(thereby making an informed opinion),

I want to thank you for your response.

Please allow me to bring some things in your responses to your attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlady71 View Post
I for one didnt look at the pics of your products
1) Although personally I like some of the garments mentioned, they aren't my products.

Quote:
not every woman is the same.
2) This is it in a nutshell. All plus sized women are NOT the same. What may be visually unappealing to you may make the next women feel extremely sexy (ie ..showing off the butt) The worse thing a person can do (especially a designer) and the one thing I've learned is that for the Plus Sized shopper it's just as much about the psychological as it is the physical. Which means we're buying for a myriad of reasons

Quote:
Your stuff may sell, but only cuz women who got meat on their bones have no other options, so they are forced to buy the circus clothes people think we should wear instead of making clothes we would like to wear that will flatter us as individuals,
Women shop at walmart for one reason and shop at the above websites for different reasons. Bottom line, your incorrect! There are options out there and they exist because there are customers whose tastes differ and as you stated, are NOT the same. Personal style is about an individual wearing what is flattering to him/her and goes alot further than what Tim Gunn or Carson Kressly's suggests (to each his/her own).

You do know that there is an entire industry out there that feels as a plus women YOU don't have the right to even WANT to wear anything other than a MOO-MOO (ie. circus clothes) ? Knowing this please be careful that you don't do the same thing by imposing a difference of opinion on the next woman, simply because you feel the way you feel about YOUR body.

Last edited by Bjones1976; 04-16-2009 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty