U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:47 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,559,235 times

Advertisements

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...0_2043_1455193

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._2043_16601589

http://www.kiyonna.com/plus-size-clothing/Tops/24082805 (broken link)

http://www.kiyonna.com/plus-size-clothing/work_wardrobe/48082901 (broken link)

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._2043_17532670

Tory Cinch Dress: Kiyonna Klothing

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._2043_18092960

http://shopping.louloumagazine.com/DownloadImage (broken link)?

Stella Chiffon Party Dress: Kiyonna Klothing (http://www.kiyonna.com/plus-size-clothing/Little_Black_Dresses/18092803 - broken link)

Ciara Ruffle Chiffon Dress: Kiyonna Klothing (http://www.kiyonna.com/plus-size-clothing/New_Arrivals/11092801 - broken link)

Last edited by Bjones1976; 04-10-2009 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:12 AM

750 posts, read 1,222,038 times
I guess I qualify as a plus size diva. I'm fairly new to this forum, but I notice several of your post headings (sorry, I do apologize for not having had the time to read back through them) deal with this topic. Are you designing for a plus-size market? Or are you interested in buying your own clothes?

I couldn't get the loulou one to download, but I wouldn't wear any of the items you featured.

Why? I'm like a lot of plus size women (sorry--- the word "diva" has too many negative connotations for me, but that's just my view) in that often we don't have really nice, defined waists. Why highlight our worst feature with tight, clingy clothing? If the person has a waist, then fine. Go for it. But often it's not something we wish to emphasize!

I'm only speaking for myself, and I'm obviously outside the demographic you're featuring in the links. I'm older, a professional, and I'd look very silly in fluttery chiffon or tight spandex. Showing lots of (flabby, pasty) flesh is also not very attractive, or suitable for work.

I avoid anything with spandex. I like silk, crepe, linen-mixes, soft crinkled cotton. I generally avoid knits. They are just too tight and reveal too much. No huge, splashy prints, which can quickly look tent-like. I do like longer jackets and tops with collars or not-too-deep v-necks. The "shrunken" look so popular now looks terrible on an overweight woman, with the big tummy and butt hanging out below the cropped-top. It emphasizes the whole center region, where many of us carry the excess poundage. Or a tight knit baby doll, showing every roll of flab. And all the ruffles and silly bows! Argghhh! I'm not a 3 year old!

So in short, tight, body-hugging clothes on a large female: Not attractive! Can be camouflaged!

Because tight, shrunken and ruffly is about all there is in the stores now, I haven't bought any new clothes in quite a while. I used to spend so much on clothing! I still can afford to, but there's very little to buy that I like and that looks decent on me. Sad.

So, and I ask this with respect, and noting the apology above: Do you KNOW a lot of plus-size women? If you are a designer, are you designing for plus-sized teenagers? Grown women? Party clothes?

Last edited by jsqueezer; 04-13-2009 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: typos!

Old 04-13-2009, 09:34 AM

8,191 posts, read 27,209,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
Because tight, shrunken and ruffly is about all there is in the stores now, I haven't bought any new clothes in quite a while. I used to spend so much on clothing! I still can afford to, but there's very little to buy that I like and that looks decent on me. Sad.
I am inclined to agree. I also used to shop every weekend for clothes, but it has been a couple of years since I saw anything that I even felt like I wanted to try on.

When I buy clothes they are usually for work. There is almost always a dress code involved. Seems like nobody is making affordable clothes that are office appropriate anymore.

My budget has never been large, but I used to buy at least one new outfit every paycheck.

Sheers, ruffles, loud fabrics, knits, sleeveless, are all on my list of no-no's.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:59 AM

Hello jsqueezer.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to this thread.

Quote:
Are you designing for a plus-size market? Or are you interested in buying your own clothes?
Yes, I am a plus sized designer and city data is one of the many avenues I use to get information on my target customer.

Quote:
Or are you interested in buying your own clothes?
I'm not a buyer, if that's what your asking. I design my own clothing and I design for others as well.

Quote:
So, and I ask this with respect, and noting the apology above: Do you KNOW a lot of plus-size women?
I KNOW more plus sized women than "normal sized" women.

Quote:
If you are a designer, are you designing for plus-sized teenagers? Grown women? Party clothes?
My demographic is 18-34 yr olds particularly, however I can appreciate the opinions from females of any age range. Most of what I design can be worn anywhere.

Quote:
I couldn't get the loulou one to download, but I wouldn't wear any of the items you featured.

Why? I'm like a lot of plus size women (sorry--- the word "diva" has too many negative connotations for me, but that's just my view) in that often we don't have really nice, defined waists. Why highlight our worst feature with tight, clingy clothing? If the person has a waist, then fine. Go for it. But often it's not something we wish to emphasize!

I'm only speaking for myself, and I'm obviously outside the demographic you're featuring in the links. I'm older, a professional, and I'd look very silly in fluttery chiffon or tight spandex. Showing lots of (flabby, pasty) flesh is also not very attractive, or suitable for work.

I avoid anything with spandex. I like silk, crepe, linen-mixes, soft crinkled cotton. I generally avoid knits. They are just too tight and reveal too much. No huge, splashy prints, which can quickly look tent-like. I do like longer jackets and tops with collars or not-too-deep v-necks. The "shrunken" look so popular now looks terrible on an overweight woman, with the big tummy and butt hanging out below the cropped-top. It emphasizes the whole center region, where many of us carry the excess poundage. Or a tight knit baby doll, showing every roll of flab. And all the ruffles and silly bows! Argghhh! I'm not a 3 year old!

So in short, tight, body-hugging clothes on a large female: Not attractive! Can be camouflaged!

So, and I ask this with respect, and noting the apology above: Do you KNOW a lot of plus-size women? If you are a designer, are you designing for plus-sized teenagers? Grown women? Party clothes?
If there is one thing I've learned about plus sized women, it's that we are not all the same. Some of us are rectangular, some apples-shaped, some pear-shaped. Then there is the triangle shaped, the inverted triangle shaped (it's a challenge I tell ya ) etc..

Then there's the realization that there are alot of other issues that have to be taken into account when designing for this market. There are alot of psychological issues (customer buying behaviors) that play a huge role in what the plus sized customer likes and dislikes. As disheartening as it is to see, society's disdain for the "woman of a certain size" play an intricate role in how certain women feel about themselves, which in turn affects how they want to dress their full-sized figures. Sadly, it also effects how they view women who are plus sized but don't subscribe to covering it up mentality.

I understand not every plus-sized woman is comfortable with certain looks and that not every one is going to like everything, but ultimately my goal is to encourage the "bigger gal" to appreciate her beauty regardless of what her size is and to encourage her to dress in a way that communicates that.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:02 AM

2,195 posts, read 9,014,088 times
Quote:
I guess I qualify as a plus size diva. I'm fairly new to this forum, but I notice several of your post headings (sorry, I do apologize for not having had the time to read back through them) deal with this topic. Are you designing for a plus-size market? Or are you interested in buying your own clothes?

I agree with you.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:54 PM

750 posts, read 1,222,038 times
Thanks for your responses to my post. I totally understand. Your demographic is young women. I'm not a young woman. I suppose I have the "cover it up mentality" that you reference. I have zero interest in exposing, especially in the daytime, at work (I'm a college professor) a lot of cleavage and leg. I wish more women (and young girls) dressed with a bit of modesty, but I'm afraid that ship has sailed.

So many of us older women, who generally have lots of money to spend on clothes, are stuck with stores full of revealing, see through, tight and shrunken clothing items. Someone's missing a huge opportunity.

Speaking for myself, I happen to think I'm attractive, despite my size. (It's not THAT big!!) I'm active, I golf, and I'm healthy. I have great hair and skin, and get many complements on my rather tailored "covered up" clothing. It's mostly classical, well made pieces that I accessorize with nice jewelry. I wear bermuda shorts to golf and I don't have to worry about my butt-cheeks falling out if I bend over!

You'll be pleased to know that I'm not just complaining. I'm taking action! I got out my old sewing machine a couple of weeks ago. If I can't buy what I want, I'll dig up my 30 year old home-economics skillz and sew myself some new clothes! I used to be pretty good at it.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:49 PM

It takes all kinds to make the world go round right?

Thanks for sharing...

Old 04-13-2009, 09:27 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,534,811 times
Bjones, are those your pieces? I liked a lot of them.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:38 AM

No ma'am. I noticed them while doing some research.
I think I posted the links to the sites, let me check just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Bjones, are those your pieces? I liked a lot of them.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:19 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,064,955 times
While there were a few items I wouldn't personally wear, on the right person I liked all the items (I too couldn't view the loulou one).

Everyone is different and most of those items are more trendy but in a nice way, I think. Most of the stuff was "going out" clothes vs work clothes, except the suit and I really liked that suit!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty