U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 12:01 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,193 times

Advertisements

Go for reefs...esp the thick soled ones that look like this: REEF > GUYS > FOOTWEAR > SANDALS > RF-002489 REEF FANNING-02 (http://www.reef.com/guys/productdetail/guys/footwear/sandals/RF-002489 - broken link)

I have a pair like that that doesnt have the air thing and they are great. I wore them to Disney and my feet felt GREAT!

Before I moved to Hawaii, where I never wear sneakers or closed toed shoes, I used to have problems adjusting to summer shoes b/c my feet always got dry and crackled. Buying a pumice stone helped out big time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 08:17 AM

88 posts, read 208,862 times
Thanks for the additional links. I didn't realize there were so many varieties....makes it tough to make a decision.

Next question....when I find a comfortable pair, I will need to start wearing them on a regular basis. Even though they are comfortable and I am happy wearing them, I feel kinda vulnerable or "exposed" when wearing them around others...especially people I know. Will this feeling soon pass? Sounds kinda strange I guess but I guess I'm so used to the shoes and socks since I've worn them for so long. And I wouldn't want to ruin my chances with a girl just because of my shoes.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:53 AM

23,772 posts, read 30,658,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude2136 View Post
Thanks for the additional links. I didn't realize there were so many varieties....makes it tough to make a decision.

Next question....when I find a comfortable pair, I will need to start wearing them on a regular basis. Even though they are comfortable and I am happy wearing them, I feel kinda vulnerable or "exposed" when wearing them around others...especially people I know. Will this feeling soon pass? Sounds kinda strange I guess but I guess I'm so used to the shoes and socks since I've worn them for so long. And I wouldn't want to ruin my chances with a girl just because of my shoes.
Wow. You are WAY overthinking this. It's just shoes, man. Flip flops and sandals on men are the NORM - EVERYONE wears them!!! Stop worrying about it.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:23 AM

1,367 posts, read 4,935,347 times
Quote:

Yeah, I think you are over-thinking this. You'll get used to them. Your feet will look better if they get a little tan, make sure your toenails aren't long and gross.

As far as different types go, this is what I'd say (I've sold all of these brands)

Reefs/Rainbows - good for wearing a couple hours at a time, not much support so if you have high arches save these for quick trips/beach, etc., not as expensive

Chaco flips - better if you have high arches, knee problems, or want something a little "dressier" and will last longer. Expensive.

Strappy/non-flip sandals - good for if you're doing lots of walking, light hiking, or if the flips bother between your toes. Chaco is better than Teva but try them on first, some people just can't find ones that fit right since they're only whole sizes.

If you really don't know if you'll like them, get a cheap pair and then if you like them invest in Chacos/Reefs

Old 04-17-2009, 09:25 AM

23,772 posts, read 30,658,558 times
FWIW, I can wear my Reefs ALL day, they are extremely comfy. Mine are the Fannings - luv 'em!

Old 04-17-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wow. You are WAY overthinking this. It's just shoes, man. Flip flops and sandals on men are the NORM - EVERYONE wears them!!! Stop worrying about it.
Most of the guys in my family don't wear them.. I guess I would feel weird wearing the sandals around them more than anyone else esp since I refused to wear them and always wore socks as a kid LOL.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
Yeah, I think you are over-thinking this. You'll get used to them. Your feet will look better if they get a little tan, make sure your toenails aren't long and gross.

As far as different types go, this is what I'd say (I've sold all of these brands)

Reefs/Rainbows - good for wearing a couple hours at a time, not much support so if you have high arches save these for quick trips/beach, etc., not as expensive

Chaco flips - better if you have high arches, knee problems, or want something a little "dressier" and will last longer. Expensive.

Strappy/non-flip sandals - good for if you're doing lots of walking, light hiking, or if the flips bother between your toes. Chaco is better than Teva but try them on first, some people just can't find ones that fit right since they're only whole sizes.

If you really don't know if you'll like them, get a cheap pair and then if you like them invest in Chacos/Reefs
Thanks for the info. I've had the tan issues in the past. For example I'll go fishing for a week and wear tennis shoes. By the time the trip is over, my feet are white and the rest of my legs are tan.

I might just buy a pair of each - maybe a pair of flips for short trips and then the strappy kind for when I go biking or go somewhere I do a lot of walking. What about something like Nike sport sandals? They have them on sale at Kohls

Old 04-17-2009, 11:30 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,270,603 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I've had the tan issues in the past. For example I'll go fishing for a week and wear tennis shoes. By the time the trip is over, my feet are white and the rest of my legs are tan.

LOL! My husband had that problem last year, he had white feet with a line around the ankle where his socks were!

Just wear what you like and what is comfortable, and if that is a "deal breaker" then the "deal" probably wasn't worth having!!

It is nice to hear that us girls aren't the only ones with hang ups!

Old 04-17-2009, 08:09 PM

893 posts, read 1,342,469 times
you can also use silly putty inbetween your toes to ease the comfort.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:47 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,328,530 times
Quote:
My feet are very weak since I have always worn sneakers and socks all summer, so I think it is a matter of getting used to the feel and building up strength in the tendons. Since everyone else wears them without a problem, I am guessing they just take some seasoning so to speak. Any thoughts?
Just make sure to get a pedicure first. Please don't be one of those men with horrible thick yellow toenails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or