Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think haute couture fashion is overrated??
Yes 18 69.23%
No 8 30.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 02:27 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times

Advertisements

True couture is an art form. Is a 100M Picasso over rated? Some folks are just as happy with a Starving Artist painting from the mall, but that doesn't mean that great art isn't worth the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 02:52 PM

90 posts, read 285,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
True couture is an art form. Is a 100M Picasso over rated? Some folks are just as happy with a Starving Artist painting from the mall, but that doesn't mean that great art isn't worth the price.
I agree with that

I just have a bit of a difficulty thinking of wearing "art object" on my body (unless it's a jewelry piece). To me clothes are more of a utility (they serve the purpose) to cover my body and they also take a beating. I wouldn't consider wearing something that cost that much money unless I was a multi-milti-millionaire. And even then only for very special occasions. I understand how very wealthy people can wear such clothes, because for them wearing a 5K article of clothing is not much different than for me wearing a $20 dress made in China.

So, yes, I agree, an art object is worth what it costs and majority of its cost is "art", which is hard to quantify. I always think of art as something to be shown or revered, not something to be utilized (worn, sweated in, washed). You make a very valid point though.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:01 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualDreamer View Post
True that. I've never owned or even tried on a real haute couture piece from the high end designer. My analysis refers to the pieces that are sold at the high end designer stores, basically those available to shoppers. It seems that haute couture that you are referring too is not something that can be easily obtained by going to Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills or similar high end shopping areas. I don't know how many people have experience with real haute couture unless they are in the fashion industry. I understood the thread topic to refer to the pret-a-porte pieces that people would have opinions on as they are what we see when we are "window shopping". To be honest, I have no idea how much the real haute couture piece would even cost, so I can't offer any analysis on that.

Now the question to you, what do you call the pieces produced by local designers, those who are yet unknown but make their own clothes? I own a few pieces from unknown designers made by them personally, these are not expensive pieces and they are well made, but in my quadrants analysis, these pieces would be more "balanced" because the designers are unknown and their labels are not worth much (they are also from oversees). So, I prefer to buy from unknown designers if I want something unique and something that is not mass produced. My everyday clothes are inexpensive and come from mass produced "made in China" stock. These clothes serve their purpose and are donated when they are done serving or thrown away when they fall apart.
I agree about the pieces from unknown designers often being a lot better, and better value than expensive off-the-rack pieces from well known designers. When I lived in Chicago there were a few nice designer-owned boutiques that made semi-custom clothes, these aren't technically haute couture (which actually refers to specific designers licensed in France), but they have better quality than most expensive stuff from famous designers.

A lot of the expensive designers like Dolce and Gucci and Calvin Klein have pieces that literally look like they could've come from H&M, I prefer either the really low end or the really high end, I think the "middle" (lol!) priced stuff in the $300-$800 range tends to be a rip-off.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:46 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,693,803 times
I think it is best as a spectator sport I certainly don't mind though if somebody does wish to enjoy the sport though

Old 04-19-2009, 11:23 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,140,882 times
Quote:
Agreed

Much of it is not made to be worn by the average person, or anyone for that matter. It's conceptual, meant to be exciting and inspiring and to evoke emotion. I don't look at Vogue, or whatever, to buy the clothes I see (couldn't afford them in my wildest dreams ), I look to get ideas.

People who mock haute couture don't realize that it's only a matter of time before the stuff on the runway hits their local mall in a streamlined, watered down format.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:12 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,008 times
Quote:
I voted "no" for the same reason.

Haute couture isn't really meant to be worn on an average day by average women. It's art and theater. It sets a tone, makes a statement for the designer. It's the equivalent of the concept cars at auto shows. Most of us will never get the drive those either, but it's fun to look.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:28 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,012 times
Quote:
But great art, and fashion, is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:30 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Agreed

Much of it is not made to be worn by the average person, or anyone for that matter. It's conceptual, meant to be exciting and inspiring and to evoke emotion. I don't look at Vogue, or whatever, to buy the clothes I see (couldn't afford them in my wildest dreams ), I look to get ideas.

People who mock haute couture don't realize that it's only a matter of time before the stuff on the runway hits their local mall in a streamlined, watered down format.
But often SUCH a streamlined, watered down version that it no longer bears resemblance to what was on the runway.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:54 PM

90 posts, read 285,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
But often SUCH a streamlined, watered down version that it no longer bears resemblance to what was on the runway.
The real version is not necessarily something that can be worn even on a special occasion. Yes, these clothes are fun to look at, but can you see yourself wearing one of these ensembles in real life? Is it really practical, can you even pull it off (unless you are a 6ft 110lb model)? Most importantly are you willing to create the entire "look" which includes much more than just an item of clothing but also significant accessorizing, crazy hairstyle, makeup (that would scare crows). The runway is a spectacle, not the reality. It's an art show.

So, we do get watered down versions of what's on the runways, these versions are also created with consideration of our lifestyles and average people sizing. "Sex in the City" is not the reality even in NYC. I don't remember seeing women strutting around NYC in funky looking hats and dresses a-la-Carrie Bradshow and her friends. Correct me if I am wrong, I've never lived in NYC, but visited many enough times to get the picture.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:41 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,140,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
But great art, and fashion, is in the eye of the beholder.
Of course it is subjective....but how does that make it overrated?

Fashion really doesn't claim to be more than what it is. The thing is, people get this attitude towards fashion that they would not have towards other art forms. They have the anti-snob snob attitude: "I would never spend so much on clothes that look so ridiculous and that you cannot wear in real life" - Well, no one was asking you to! Would you ever buy an expensive painting that is provocative & not living room friendly? No? Well, does that mean it is overrated? It wasn't even created for your living room, so just appreciate it for what it is; and if you appreciate art, allow it to stimulate your mind and imagination and take something away from it that does enrich your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty