Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 07:20 PM

41 posts, read 128,217 times

Advertisements

I am 5'11 (30 yo) with a somewhat thin build (long arms/legs) but have managed to build some muscle on top of that. Looking for some options for dressing casually for the summer.

The big store ads show guys looking too modelish, as in "A real-live guy would never wear that." I know this question is vague, but I'm open to any suggestion that you think would look pretty cool and casual on a guy for the summer.

I'm open to just about any suggestions: what items to buy, where to buy them, sources for more info, materials, rules of thumb, etc.
Just looking for a solid wardrobe I can mix and match that's reasonably comfortable and won't make me look doofy.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 08:16 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
Okay, the question is kind of vague, but I'll try to answer...

First, guys should have a good pair of jeans (or several) that fit well. They don't need to be super expensive, but probably nicer than what you'd find at the Gap. Darker denim is dressier, avoid ones that have fake holes and weird novelty stuff. Make sure they are the right length and try on different cuts to see what looks best. Lucky Brand and Banana Republic have nice jeans.

For summer, keep it simple and for god's sake don't wear sandals with socks. Don't wear shorts with gym shoes and tall socks. A nice pair of jeans or khakis always looks good with a plain t-shirt and button-up shirt or a polo. Shorts can look okay if worn with a really light casual button up, sleeves rolled up, sandals.

Personally, I like the "outdoor lifestyle" look. Meaning, stuff made by outdoor-type brands but not actually stuff you wear camping or working out. Examples of brands include Prana, Patagonia, Horny Toad, Kavu, The North Face. Also, Fossil makes really nice men's clothes for your age/build. Think lightweight khakis, white t-shirt (cotton/synthetic mix with just a little stretch, sort of tight), loose button up shirt, etc. I like the "outdoor" brands because they use fabrics that don't seem cheap, and they have better casual menswear than Express, Banana Republic.

I think that in your 30s you should avoid goofy t-shirts with messages on them, unless the message actually means something or it's more "artsy". Meaning no fake Abercrombie type shirts with random numbers. Try threadless.com for unique t-shirts with random designs.

Does that help at all???

Old 04-19-2009, 08:29 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,223 times
you sound like me, i'm 30 and slim only a bit shorter than you. looking like you've got it together is really in the fit of your clothes - so first things first buy clothes that fit more like they are tailored for you. nothing oversized, baggy, etc. not skin tight of course, just trim. that's the secret, because after that its just wear what you're comfortable in, man, 'cause if it fits you're pretty much there.

other rules of thumb would be have your untucked shirts just long enough to cover your belt and your short sleeves shouldn't cover your whole upper arm. clunky sandals are not cool (i usually don't wear them at all but wear a lightweight shoe like a chuck taylor or a puma running shoe, not a space-ship looking trainer but a simple running shoe. personally i like solid, not too bold colors for things like polos or t-shirts, darker jeans, and not-cargo shorts like khaki or a simple plaid. shy away from big logos maybe aside from t-shirts.

but more specifically i'd point you to websites like gap.com or expressfashion.com and start browsing. get past the models they've got on the front page and you'll find there's alot of "real" clothes they offer. or pick up a GQ magazine and look at the models in there - maybe not so much all the modelish stuff, but notice how the clothes actually fit and how an outfit sort of flows together i.e. this type of shirt with those shorts and shoes or whatever. i'm not really "into" fashion either, but this is how i kinda figured out how to put stuff together and get out of the college dress mentality of my 20's. once you get that groundwork, shopping is simple (like it should be)

Old 04-19-2009, 09:29 PM

DNaomi,

Yes that was a big help. Regarding jeans, it seems that faded jeans are "in", something like this:

Levi's 539 Eco Vintage Straight-Leg Jeans

Would you recommend something like this? Or go with standard blue jeans? I actually like those jeans but I'm not sure they're appropriate now that I'm in my 30s.

I mostly wear the dreaded tennis shoes and socks combo lol. However I have a pair of black sports sandals and a pair of brown flip flops. The sport sandals fit ok but do not look all that good IMO. The flip flops are uncomfortable but maybe it's just the kind that I have. Any other recommendations? I was looking at maybe buying the leather fisherman sandals (for casual events) and Adidas slides (for trips to town).

I have several button up shirts that I recently purchased. If it's wearm outside, is it better to wear a short sleeved button up shirt? Or a long sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled up?
Thanks for the website link, those t-shirts look pretty cool. What are the best colors that go with khaki shorts?

Old 04-19-2009, 09:36 PM

Vanilla, I have to agree with you on the baggy clothes. Here are a couple questions

I have a thin body type but have packed on some muscle. The button up shirts end up a few inches below the belt line, is that too long? If I buy a smaller size then they are too tight.

I have a pair of Chuck Taylors that I workout in. Are they appropriate to wear with cargo shorts, even if they are high tops? I know they make some low top chucks as well.. If I went with Puma, would you recommend white or black? I currently own a grayish pair of blue/gray New Balance but those are kinda wore out.

Thanks for the links and other tips!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:56 PM

784 posts, read 2,264,675 times
I got my own style going on...LOL, Never wondered what to wear, just kind of always new what I liked and didnt like. I am 34 yrs old. A few inches taller, built, but not like a body builder. I keep it simple.

I don't wear things with logos. No shirts with trademarks, like Abercrombie. The key is to feel comfortable, be cool and not ever be like the crowd, or trendy. So all the designer tarty trendy shirts,....forget it. Don't bother.

I personally like a little room in my jeans. I have to wear boot cut too. Becuase slim jeans in the ankles just don't work for me. I like dark blue. No fake rips or holes. That's trendy. Trendy is a no no.

Sometimes I wear boots with jeans (my timberlands). When I wear sneakers I keep it simple, classic. Like puma or addidas. I like the stan smith's or nastase in Addidas. No high tops. I repeat, no high tops.

When I was younger I was sporty dressed. I owned about 45 hoodies and about 20 pairs of sweats or addidas type pants. Yeah, I was that guy. I played alot of sports. But I liked the collegy sporty look.

As I am getting older I don't do the hoodie thing anymore.

For tops I like to go real simple. Black, white, blue, tan, light yellow t-shirt or v- neck. Those are must's for shirts. NO LOGOS. Once in a while a polo, I prefer black. If it's winter time and I am doing sweaters, I look for solid colors, usually black or white, dark blue. I like to keep it simple. I hate trendy clothing. However, I feel like I could always tell what not to wear. But harder for me to find things to wear. I am the pickiest shopper you'll ever see. I have to go to NYC for my clothes. Even then, I'll look all day and not find what I am looking for. I can't explain some of the styles of shirts I might find and buy because I can't explain it. You just know it when you see it and then you hope it fits. That's why I mainly try to keep it simple. Sometimes I'll wear khaki pants with white t shirt possibly v neck with like a blue long sleeve (can't explain the texture) over it. I actually sometimes would like certain style of clothing but they wouldn't fit right, fit is very crucial.

I just bought a black turtle neck for spring and fall that I have worn with my trademark real faded not store bought faded baggy boot cut Levi jeans. I like that look. I haven't pulled that exact look(turtleneck---almost forgot about them) off since the early nineties. I guess I am trying to bring the turtle neck back. I have long hair, long enough to put in a pony tail, which I do a lot.

I also in cooler weather wear alot of white can't think of what their called (like pajama's for hunters) under plain colored t-shirts...

Don't go hipster or trendy. Keep it simple. I always felt I was more like Calvin Klein. Some blue jeans (for me levis) and a black t shirt. That describes me the best.....

Old 04-19-2009, 10:55 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKing78 View Post
I have a pair of Chuck Taylors that I workout in. Are they appropriate to wear with cargo shorts, even if they are high tops? I know they make some low top chucks as well.. If I went with Puma, would you recommend white or black? I currently own a grayish pair of blue/gray New Balance but those are kinda wore out.

Converse are always cool. Just get low tops for shorts. I like hi-tops too, but they are better for jeans. I see guys wearing low top chucks or vans w/no socks & shorts, and that looks okay. Slip on tennis shoes may be a good choice.

I personally don't like sandals on men except at the beach. Man feet just aren't that pretty to look at. I suppose there are exceptions.

If you are clueless about clothes, then simple is better, and fit is everything. Don't hesitate to get anything tailored if necessary.

For shirts, look at the shoulder...is the seam at the edge? If it's below the shoulder, then it is too big, if it's riding up, then it is too tight.

Shorts should hit right around the knee, or slightly above if you are more fashion forward. Shorts halfway down the calf look stupid & juvenile.

I agree, you may think that men in magazines look too modely, but pay attention to the fit of their clothes. Most men wear too baggy clothes now, and the hipsters do the super tight thing which can only be pulled off if you're 22 or in a band. Remember, that a lot of women read fashion mags to get ideas, and they still end up looking like regular women

I know a few guys who read GQ and they really do end up better dressed, but not in a foppish, fey way. They just know what works for their body and never look dorky.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:11 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Here's what you do, take a trip to British Columbia or Alaska and look at the guys working summers on the railroads, flying the float planes or working as deck hands on upscale fishing boats. It's pretty much North Face up there, but you gotta have the good shoes to go with it--usually ASOLO or Merrell. Grow your hair to just enough length where it goes over your ears and it shows you are laid back. Overall, it's a gritty/rugged look, but women love it (the look must be clean, as well). You stand apart from the Metrosexuals, lol. What this world needs is real men. Please, don't buy any of the designer crap. Go for it!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:18 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
Personally, I like the "outdoor lifestyle" look. Meaning, stuff made by outdoor-type brands but not actually stuff you wear camping or working out. Examples of brands include Prana, Patagonia, Horny Toad, Kavu, The North Face. Also, Fossil makes really nice men's clothes for your age/build. Think lightweight khakis, white t-shirt (cotton/synthetic mix with just a little stretch, sort of tight), loose button up shirt, etc. I like the "outdoor" brands because they use fabrics that don't seem cheap, and they have better casual menswear than Express, Banana Republic.
I agree.

You might want to request an REI print catalog, so you can see how the look works:

https://www.rei.com/catalogsignup

Old 04-20-2009, 04:42 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKing78 View Post
Vanilla, I have to agree with you on the baggy clothes. Here are a couple questions

I have a thin body type but have packed on some muscle. The button up shirts end up a few inches below the belt line, is that too long? If I buy a smaller size then they are too tight.

depends on the shirt, really. some are cut long on purpose because they're meant to be tucked in i.e. for work/dressing up. i've got a few from american eagle and gap that are a good, shorter length for being untucked. my express shirts are too long to untuck, though i am kinda short which doesnt help.

on the shoes, i'm a lowtop guy and my puma's are white. i have trouble pulling off dark shoes with shorts but some guys do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty