U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:28 AM

3,868 posts, read 4,287,775 times

Advertisements

Has there been a frump movement over the past 10-15 years? I see a lot of frumpy looking women who only dress for comfort without consideration for appearence, fashion, sexiness, etc. I see lot's of women wearing tattered sweats and worn out sneakers. They wear little or no makeup and have flat hair. Maybe women think they are empowered by dressing so casually and putting no effort into their appearence? I think it's just the opposite, when a woman looks her best it gives her power.

I wonder if this frump/casual trend is unique to American/English speaking culture? Sometimes I shop at a Mexican supermarket and the women (mostly recent immigrants who speak Spanish) are all dressed up just to go to the market! It's so nice to be in that atmosphere with all the women trying to look pretty. I have seen pictures of Russian women and they dress feminine when out in public as well.

If you agree there really is a frump movement do you think it's here to stay or will it ever reverse itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 12:26 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,794,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I see a lot of frumpy looking women who only dress for comfort without consideration for appearence, fashion, sexiness, etc.
Why do you think women owe it to you to look sexy and fashionable?

Old 04-30-2009, 12:38 PM

15,535 posts, read 29,278,439 times
Quote:
Has there been a frump movement over the past 10-15 years? I see a lot of frumpy looking women who only dress for comfort without consideration for appearence, fashion, sexiness, etc. I see lot's of women wearing tattered sweats and worn out sneakers. They wear little or no makeup and have flat hair. Maybe women think they are empowered by dressing so casually and putting no effort into their appearence? I think it's just the opposite, when a woman looks her best it gives her power.

I wonder if this frump/casual trend is unique to American/English speaking culture? Sometimes I shop at a Mexican supermarket and the women (mostly recent immigrants who speak Spanish) are all dressed up just to go to the market! It's so nice to be in that atmosphere with all the women trying to look pretty. I have seen pictures of Russian women and they dress feminine when out in public as well.

If you agree there really is a frump movement do you think it's here to stay or will it ever reverse itself?
When I was young it was all about what I looked like. I cannot count the endless hours I was in misery because the shoes I wore were uncomfortable or how aggravated I got having to wear uncomfortable panty hose. I hate make up, it gets on EVERYTHING, and never stays on your face.

Now days, I am middle aged and I am far more concerned with who I am as a person than what I look like. I've been hot, I've been beautiful. I'ts over rated. I'd prefer to be appreciated for being good, kind, loving and smart.

When I see a woman all dolled up, I think... "I wonder who she is trying to impress". Sometimes it's quite laughable. Poor thing, trying to look so trendy and hot, nobody cares - not really (except maybe the OP. LOL).

I have a lot more respect for women who do not waste their lives on bothering with what they look like. It's so shallow. Now mind you, people should be PRESENTABLE. These women who wear clothing that is disgusting are going a bit too far in the other direction. There has to be a happy medium, IMHO.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-30-2009, 12:45 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,510,168 times
It's men too, lot's of guys where nothing but baggy shorts and flip-flops everywhere. That's alright if you're running a quick errand or hanging out in the park or at a BBQ, but not EVERYWHERE you go.

It's not just Americans. I see lot's of people from all over the world who wear sandles and khaki shorts all year, or sports wear like basketball shorts everywhere they go.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:39 PM

345 posts, read 561,903 times
Damn these people who put practicality and comfort above fashion and image!

Old 04-30-2009, 04:50 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,532,136 times
Quote:
Sometimes I shop at a Mexican supermarket and the women (mostly recent immigrants who speak Spanish) are all dressed up just to go to the market! It's so nice to be in that atmosphere with all the women trying to look pretty. I have seen pictures of Russian women and they dress feminine when out in public as well.

How were YOU dressed that day you went to the market?

Old 04-30-2009, 07:47 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,262,802 times
I hope that you can tell from these responses what is going on here...
Women from Latin American countries dress up more because of their culture, which tends to favor males and their needs and desires rather than those of women.
The women you are seeing are probably:
1. Busy
2. Liberated
I don't think that there is a "frump" movement; I think that form follows function. And the women that you are seeing are too busy to care, especially what the men in the market are thinking of how they look.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:12 AM

23 posts, read 93,159 times
When are men actually going to make enough again that they deserve the effort? When are men going to start opening doors again? When are men going to look a woman in the face and say she is "beautiful" instead of looking them up and down like a piece of meat? When are men going to start grooming their body and mind to a desirable standard? When are men going to learn they are selfish and need to adjust? When are men going to realize the world and its inhabitants are not in existence for their pleasure and profiteering alone?

Old 05-01-2009, 02:15 AM

23 posts, read 93,159 times
BTW jay...you are in a relationship...get yourself together and stop being a eyecandy addicted male chauvinistic miscreant. People like you is why i put on sneakers instead of heels. You don't deserve any selfish pleasure from me.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:55 AM

3,868 posts, read 4,287,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop_Chop View Post
BTW jay...you are in a relationship...get yourself together and stop being a eyecandy addicted male chauvinistic miscreant. People like you is why i put on sneakers instead of heels. You don't deserve any selfish pleasure from me.

I know myself well and can tell you I am far from a chauvinist, as far as you can get actually. I would argue those of us men who appreciate female beauty are the ones who respect women and want them to have a dominant role in society.

The men who are chauvinists are the ones who want women to play down their looks and be modest. The men who call women who dress up "whores". They are the sexists! They are very controlling and feel intimidated and threatened by female beauty.

If you follow the logical conclusion of your "selfish pleasure" mindset it will eventually lead to an Islamic type culture where modesty is highly valued and women cover themselves in public. I would hardly call that liberating for women,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty