Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 03:12 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The odd thing is why they chose each extreme....most women wear something in between. It's not like those gals who run out and buy Christian Louboutain's are going to turn around and start running to Payless after that segment. And who the heck walks a mile in 4" heels - regardless of the brand or quality.....
Actually I have as I am sure other women in NYC, Chicago, Philly, Boston, etc. have as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
People who buy "knockoff" of designer goods are only fooling themselves. People who can afford the real thing know the difference. I am a man and can spot a fake Louis Vuitton purse a mile away. The easliest way to spot a "poseur" is to look at the entire ensemble the person is wearing. If you are trying to get away with buying fake designer shoes and wearing cheap clothing, you will get busted by the fashion police.
Amen to that kevinm. The other thing people fail to take into account is that the goods are often hand made by craftmen and not mass produced on an assembly line. And as for the faux handbags, posers don't realize that these are black market goods that in many cases are supporting drug cartels and terrorist groups. There have been lots of news articles tracing the money back thru the supply chain to the bad guys. I'm proud of my real Louis. I waited a long time to buy it and am not ashamed of it. If I had bought a fake well then I'd feel like a phony.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
that price range is for very wealthy people where spending that kind of money is just peanuts.

you don't have to go as cheap as payless but can find just as good shoes under the 50 to 60 dollar range and i mean as good or better in materials and style as the 600 pair.

the high prices is how these people get rich themselves to try and sell the label as prestige or high-class.

if i were a multi-millionaire, i still wouldn't spend that kind of money on shoes simply as a matter of principle because i don't think any shoe or purse should be marked at that type of price or worth it. that's hundreds more i could give to a charity or put to better use. paying for quality and paying for a name are not the same always. just paying for a name i find to be a bit on the unethical and irresponsible side. when i think of the sweatshop worker who is getting pennies to make these shoes and the seller getting filthy rich makes me nauseaus with disgust.

there are plenty of great designers who make great and beautiful clothes for everyday people, you just don't hear about them. i respect them more.
Sorry but you are wrong. Christian Louboutin did not come from money. His shoes are made by hand of the best materials by skilled craftsman. That is what makes them expensive because in Europe they actually pay decent wages to craftsmen and farmers. I'd rather pay for the handmade things that I can afford and support the artisans then to pay for a mass produced item that benefits very few except for a bunch of greedy CEOs and their inner circle who get wealthy on the backs of their employees.

And BTW, I am not a filthy rich person- don't even come close to being wealthy but I do wear Louboutin's.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Man? Women are checking out your shoes more then men!

When you go out in a well-put-together outfit, everyone notices. All heads turn. Which is why I enjoy dressing well. It doesn't matter your age or body style. A good outfit makes you look more interesting, and it makes you feel great!
Yeah but the difference is that most men just appreciate it and the women for the most part get jealous.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
I can't tell. In fact, I've bought a pair of $10 shoes that look the same as shoes they want anywhere from $50 to $80 for in other stores.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I can't tell. In fact, I've bought a pair of $10 shoes that look the same as shoes they want anywhere from $50 to $80 for in other stores.
Appearance isn't everything. They don't feel or wear the same.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:36 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
I've paid extra money out for Reebok walking shoes. They only lasted me a month.

Conversely, I've had cheaper shoes last 6 months to a year.

I walk EVERYWHERE.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:02 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,719 times
Cant say I have had the same experiences. My $100 running shoes last very well, and do not give me shin splints, even during 5 mile runs. Cheaper ones? Forget about it, my knees and shins are killing me.

Shoes are one area that I never go for cheap! I don't pay $600, but generally $80-$250 is how much I spend on sandals, boots, etc, and its worth every dollar. I have found they are more comfortable, last longer, and are made of higher quality material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I've paid extra money out for Reebok walking shoes. They only lasted me a month.

Conversely, I've had cheaper shoes last 6 months to a year.

I walk EVERYWHERE.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:10 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
I can FEEL the difference between cheap $20 shoes on my feet and $100+ shoes on my feet. While I'm not into designer names, I do have some favorite brands simply because they are comfortable and support my arches well. I've tried the $50 Sketchers and they just don't do it for me. Most of my shoes, sandals and boots are in the $80 - $150 price range. If I were wearing suits all day, I'd go as high as $300 - $400 for some nice Allen Edmonds. Why go cheap on your feet, especially if you are on them several hours a day? It's the same with mattresses, you spend a third of your life in bed, don't cheap out on the mattress.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:20 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
In the summer, I have no problem going to Payless for their BOGO
sandal sale, I go every summer, have a ton of sandals and wear them
until it gets cold. Now when it comes to a good shoe theres a huge difference
in a $20 shoe and $100 on up. My personal fav, NINE WEST. You can get good
quality without the price if you shop the right places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty