Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:21 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
My point is don't give yourself away with a knockoff by drawing attention to the fake by wearing a cheap outfit. For men, a nice suit can be complemented with a fake Rolex, but don't try to get away with wearing a fake Rolex while wearing a polyester untailored suit.
I would almost LOVE for you to call my handbag a fake if you saw me on a daily basis, lol.

Between the kiddo, the 3 dogs, the 4 foster dogs, 5-6 hrs sleep daily, the night time work schedule and sitting with an ill family member almost daily; I wear what is comfy for ME. Which usually means yoga type pants, a t shirt or tank top and my flops.

So because I am bummy clothes, you automatically think my Petit Noe is fake? Nice.

Just because someone isn't dressed to the nines, and has a nice bag, or shoes, or jewelry; doesn't mean it's a knockoff. Maybe they are busy, or maybe they just don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 09:19 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I would almost LOVE for you to call my handbag a fake if you saw me on a daily basis, lol.

Between the kiddo, the 3 dogs, the 4 foster dogs, 5-6 hrs sleep daily, the night time work schedule and sitting with an ill family member almost daily; I wear what is comfy for ME. Which usually means yoga type pants, a t shirt or tank top and my flops.

So because I am bummy clothes, you automatically think my Petit Noe is fake? Nice.

Just because someone isn't dressed to the nines, and has a nice bag, or shoes, or jewelry; doesn't mean it's a knockoff. Maybe they are busy, or maybe they just don't care.

If your bag WAS a fake, I could spot it immediatiely because your bag (< $900) did not relate to the rest of your outfit and I would notice that. If you were dressed to the "nines" as you say, I would not even look at your bag.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:23 AM

814 posts, read 2,306,533 times
who cares if it's a knockoff or not? sometimes knockoffs are nice depending on how it was made.

you don't even need an exorbitant priced purse to have a nice one anyways!

Old 05-14-2009, 09:32 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
who cares if it's a knockoff or not? sometimes knockoffs are nice depending on how it was made.

you don't even need an exorbitant priced purse to have a nice one anyways!
Um, because knockoff's fund organized crime, fuel sweatshop's full of little children, and support terrorists.

Besides, why would you want a fake one? They are HORRIBLY made, tacky materials, and fall apart in no time, and it's just gross.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:05 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,462 times
When I imagine "knockoffs", I imagine a piece that's making a deliberate attempt to imitate. From what you all are saying, sometimes it's done well, sometimes, not. I think there's a difference between buying "knockoffs" and buying just plain stuff.

I'm a plain stuff person. Plain tops and tees (or maybe stripes, if I'm feeling particularly bold ), plain jeans or slacks, generally neutral in color. Very few accessories -- most often, I wear just a simple wedding band, no earrings, no bracelets, no necklace. Plain black or brown leather(?) purse. No extra buckles, studs or other adornments.

I don't buy designer anything. I most certainly don't buy things that have a designer's name or logo plastered on them. Seems kind of backward to me -- I pay them $600 in order to become a walking billboard??? Shouldn't they be paying ME to advertise?

By the same token, if designer (or knockoff) floats your boat, go for it! As long as you're taking care of business, providing for you and your family comfortably, I'll be the last to give you grief for how you spend your discretionary income. If it makes you happy (assuming everything else is in order), do it!

Cav Scout, is that ALL knockoffs that fund organized crime and all the other things you said? Does that also apply to just plain stuff (stuff that's not making an attempt to imitate the expensive stuff)? I haven't really spent much time or effort figuring out where my stuff comes from...

Old 05-14-2009, 11:44 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
When I imagine "knockoffs", I imagine a piece that's making a deliberate attempt to imitate. From what you all are saying, sometimes it's done well, sometimes, not. I think there's a difference between buying "knockoffs" and buying just plain stuff.

I'm a plain stuff person. Plain tops and tees (or maybe stripes, if I'm feeling particularly bold ), plain jeans or slacks, generally neutral in color. Very few accessories -- most often, I wear just a simple wedding band, no earrings, no bracelets, no necklace. Plain black or brown leather(?) purse. No extra buckles, studs or other adornments.

I don't buy designer anything. I most certainly don't buy things that have a designer's name or logo plastered on them. Seems kind of backward to me -- I pay them $600 in order to become a walking billboard??? Shouldn't they be paying ME to advertise?

By the same token, if designer (or knockoff) floats your boat, go for it! As long as you're taking care of business, providing for you and your family comfortably, I'll be the last to give you grief for how you spend your discretionary income. If it makes you happy (assuming everything else is in order), do it!

Cav Scout, is that ALL knockoffs that fund organized crime and all the other things you said? Does that also apply to just plain stuff (stuff that's not making an attempt to imitate the expensive stuff)? I haven't really spent much time or effort figuring out where my stuff comes from...
Also, fakes dilute the brand and the image the designer is trying to convey. The prices are set artificially high to prevent everyone from owning them. Gotta have some standards for use.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Also, fakes dilute the brand and the image the designer is trying to convey. The prices are set artificially high to prevent everyone from owning them. Gotta have some standards for use.
this kind of reminds me of how lobster was once the poor man's food when it was prevalent and cheap and once it became expensive it was all the rage with the rich. it still 'IS' lobster. don't make me laugh.

i know i don't have to have a prada in order to have style. actually, sometimes their style is quite tacky because it's about what looks good to me not just the name. i've seen some hideous high end stuff or even prettier lower end stuff.

Last edited by leaana; 05-15-2009 at 06:15 PM..

Old 05-15-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Um, because knockoff's fund organized crime, fuel sweatshop's full of little children, and support terrorists.

Besides, why would you want a fake one? They are HORRIBLY made, tacky materials, and fall apart in no time, and it's just gross.
it's obvious you don't don't read well. i said 'some' knockoffs are made well. obviously you don't know their are varying degrees in quality of knockoffs.

that said, i don't wear knockoffs or buy knockoff purses. as a matter of fact, it's rare for me to buy a purse to begin with. i usually just wear those organizers you wear diagonally across your shoulder. it's lighter and i don't like bulky purses to begin with. certainly not the current fashion trend.

i actually like the fashions i bought in korea. it wasn't expensive but i liked the styles. i don't even know what name brand it was. some brand there. i just buy what i like and if it's in my price range wherever i am and what i see. what i've found is you don't have to pay an exorbitant price to have nice clothes. it would be quite unrealistic to begin with if you did have to. i got the coolest jacket from there and the style was unique and i haven't seen anything as cool in my opinion. luv it luv it luvit. i thank whoever the designer was and i'm sure it wasn't someone well known or famous. like i said, not all designers are hollywood elite and can still be talented and make great clothes. oh, and if you can only equate greatness with some 'fad' or 'it was designed by so and so that must mean it's better' then you are not really style saavy to begin with. then it's about prestige only. i have NEVER bought something just because of the name though i check the label on every piece i like to find out who it was made by out of curiousity. when i look at a piece, i just ask myself if i like it and check out the piece in it's entirety. if i like it, then i buy it. the brand has no bearing on whether i actually like it or will buy it.

Last edited by leaana; 05-15-2009 at 06:24 PM..

Old 05-15-2009, 10:17 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
you cannot tell the difference between a button down shirt made by banana republic, or even kmart sometimes from one that is couture etc. please..

one can shop at the mall and brand name outlets and you would not be able to tell the person who put together their outfit from there from someone who paid thousands of dollars. if you can it's only because you happen to know that particular piece of clothing was made by a certain designer. period.

unless they are weaving threads of gold into the fabric, eventually you are just paying for the name.
The fabrics of the higher end designer clothing usually are noticeably nicer to the touch. When I used to shop at the original Filene's Basement Store, I would rummage through the racks until I came across a fabric that impressed me. Then I would hope that the garment fit me. It's like buying bedding sheets. The higher the thread count, the nice the feel against the skin. Then some of the designer wear comes in colours that are more sophisticated and of the moment.

With shoes, very fortunately I can't and so don't wear high heels. So no Manolo Blahniks for me! My footwear splurges are usually boots. I even have a pair of Chanel motorcycle boots bought at a secondhand boutique.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The fabrics of the higher end designer clothing usually are noticeably nicer to the touch. When I used to shop at the original Filene's Basement Store, I would rummage through the racks until I came across a fabric that impressed me. Then I would hope that the garment fit me. It's like buying bedding sheets. The higher the thread count, the nice the feel against the skin. Then some of the designer wear comes in colours that are more sophisticated and of the moment.

With shoes, very fortunately I can't and so don't wear high heels. So no Manolo Blahniks for me! My footwear splurges are usually boots. I even have a pair of Chanel motorcycle boots bought at a secondhand boutique.
lol, I have 200, 400 and 500 thread count sheets. i stopped buying them and now just buy the 200 because i realized i don't particularly like the higher thread count. it does not feel nicer to me, as a matter of fact, i find they just feel worn especially after you wash them a couple times, they feel even more gross to me.. some people call that soft. lol

i prefer my sheets on the crisper side but that's me.

as for the higher end clothes, bullcrap. i've had higher end clothes and most of it you cannot tell. period. period until you look at the label. i can find plenty of nice and sophisticated items in every imaginable muted colors, in-between as well as bright at tjmaxx, ross, marshalls, you name it.

Last edited by leaana; 05-16-2009 at 12:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty