U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 07:19 AM

1,747 posts, read 2,618,392 times

Advertisements

Good Morning America (ABC News) recently did a test to see whether people could tell the difference between a $600 () pair of Christian Louboutin black patent leather pumps (with 4-inch heels ) and a pair of nearly identical $20 black patent leather pumps. Because the $600 pumps had a "signature" red sole, ABC painted the $20 soles so they'd look identical. Then, they performed three tests.

First was a sight test. They stopped people on the street and asked them to pick which was which. According to the reporter, 40% of the people they talked to incorrectly identified the shoes.

Second was a wear test. They had identical twins walk a mile in the shoes (with 4-inch heels!!! ) then rate their comfort, 1 to 10 with 10 = PAIN!!! The twin wearing the $20 shoes said she was "up there in the 9s", while the $600 twin said "I'm just going to go with the 10". In other words, neither shoe was comfortable, as was evidenced by shots of the twins' feet with obvious rub marks. The twins both ditched the shoes immediately.

The final test involved cutting the shoes in half to look at construction. The interior of the less expensive shoe was layers of rubber and cardboard, whereas the more expensive was made of leather, through and through.

I wish I could link the segment for you but every time I pull it up, it comes with an advertisement embedded and I don't think C-D would like that. If you want to see the segment, you can go to ABC News and type "$20 shoes" in the search box.

As for me, I can guarantee I wouldn't be able to tell the shoes apart. Not by sight (I'd never even heard of Christian Louboutin before this news segment), probably not by walk-test (I doubt I'd be able to walk 20 feet, much less a mile, in 4-inch heels). Secondly, I can't think of any reason why I would EVER waste $600 on a single pair of shoes. Heck, I have a hard time justifying spending $100 on shoes. I'm sooooo not a shoe person . I own maybe 5 pair of shoes, none of which cost over ~$60.

So, my fellow shoe-wearers, how about you?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 07:32 AM

23,902 posts, read 31,123,865 times
$20 shoes?? Yeah.... I'm pretty sure I could tell. I've tried those payless shoes, and they are very cheap looking and feel terrible.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:08 AM

494 posts, read 1,088,052 times
oh yes I can. i have tried pairs of cheap shoes and that is how they felt. cheap.
the last two weeks I have been wearing Rlauren 4inch shoes, and my feet did not hurt once. They are very comfortable. I usually don't wear such high heels, but i am in love with these shoes right now.
i have not seen the segment you're talking about, but i think i would be able to tell the difference

Old 05-04-2009, 08:15 AM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
The odd thing is why they chose each extreme....most women wear something in between. It's not like those gals who run out and buy Christian Louboutain's are going to turn around and start running to Payless after that segment. And who the heck walks a mile in 4" heels - regardless of the brand or quality.....

Old 05-04-2009, 08:55 AM

1,747 posts, read 2,618,392 times
They did another test with a $3,000 hand-made handbag (I forget the name, but it was something cute-sy, like "Kerry") and a $35 knockoff. The maker of the $3K bag put their pattern on a website. The maker of the knockoff copied the pattern, got similar (but not identical) materials and made her own version.

Again, I can guarantee I wouldn't be able to tell the pricey one from the inexpensive one. I guess I'm just not attuned to these sorts of things. $3,000 for a handbag? Makes those $600 shoes look like a bargain!

I wish I could link some pictures for you, especially for the shoes. They really looked similar, although I'll admit the expensive ones seemed to be a bit glossy-er and the leather seemed to be a little stiffer.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:36 AM

494 posts, read 1,088,052 times
Nelly Nomad,
I could not tell the difference between cheap and expensive purses. not in a million years . shoes yes. and macies mom is right, i think most of us wear the in between shoes.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:41 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,236,200 times
I could tell the difference in a heartbeat. The cheap shoes that are not made out of leather will make your feet sweat in no time. Also, the fact that the shoes were PATENT leather would make them not as forgiving to walk a lot in. Throw in the cheap ones were fake patent leather and those would not be comfortable at all. No give at all. At least with the REAL patent leather over time and wear the shoes would "give" some and become a lot more comfortable.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:38 AM

1,367 posts, read 4,972,698 times
I think I could tell after wearing them... the cheapo ones are usually made on lasts that don't fit me as well because I have higher archers.

Also, I think it would be better if they could test how they wear over time. So many of the cheaper shoes I've bought in the $30-70 range end up have stitching coming out, scuffs right away, etc. I've sure never had a $600 pair but the more expensive ones I have had didn't show that kind of wear.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:43 PM

23,902 posts, read 31,123,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The odd thing is why they chose each extreme....most women wear something in between. It's not like those gals who run out and buy Christian Louboutain's are going to turn around and start running to Payless after that segment. And who the heck walks a mile in 4" heels - regardless of the brand or quality.....
Exactly. I thought that was a really strange selection for them to make. Useless really,

Old 05-04-2009, 02:03 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,466,511 times
I can tell the difference, both with shoes and handbags.

Now if you bumped the price points closer together (say 150.00 pair of shoes and 300.00 pair , or a 300.00 handbag and a 700.00 version) and I couldn't see any designer labels or logos? . Yeah, I'd probably be stumped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty