U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 05:40 PM

557 posts, read 2,263,240 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else had far too many clothes and decided to do a MAJOR wardrobe overhaul to keep just the very best & basic clothes? I know to donate or sell on eBay, but how do you do the sorting process when you hate to get rid of any of the clothes because you like them and they all fit?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 6 days ago)

14,422 posts, read 16,686,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
Has anyone else had far too many clothes and decided to do a MAJOR wardrobe overhaul to keep just the very best & basic clothes? I know to donate or sell on eBay, but how do you do the sorting process when you hate to get rid of any of the clothes because you like them and they all fit?
The one year test is a good place to start. Except for winter coats or seasonal item you wear only occasionally and might not have needed that year, look at each item and ask if you wore it in a year. If not its basically taking up space. If you could wear it anytime but haven't in six months its also likely you could do without. This of course excludes really nice dresses and stuff for special occasions since you wouldn't expect to wear them often.

Basically you wear the stuff you like the best so start there.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:55 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,513,009 times
Sacrilege! How does one have too many clothes! This is not possible!

I buy a lot of clothes, but I get rid of my mistakes and I do not hold onto stuff that is junk.

I have everything sorted carefully. I put all my cashmere sweaters in neat little zip-lock bags (gallon size) and store them in large plastic totes. This way, I don't have to refold all the little piles when I dig through to find something.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:38 PM

4,791 posts, read 12,897,884 times
I have too many womens clothes! I gotta spend time ebaying or Craiglisting the "mistakes." I'm picky with what I buy in the first place so no mistakes, unless it's an online or ebay ripoff.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:44 PM

10,714 posts, read 19,054,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
I am and have gone through that process - what I try is: "Do I want to be seen in public in this" "Is this appropriate for my age" "How often do I wear this", etc. Hope this helps somewhat.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:02 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,513,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I am and have gone through that process - what I try is: "Do I want to be seen in public in this" "Is this appropriate for my age" "How often do I wear this", etc. Hope this helps somewhat.
I keep lots of clothes that I don't wear often. I have several good cashmere sweaters that I never wore this past winter. But I would never get rid of them! I like to keep a stock pile!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:18 AM

5,891 posts, read 11,086,219 times
The one year rule is a good one, but I can't seem to follow it. I do think about how often I've worn something, what else I have that goes with it, if it can be altered in some way to make it seem like new or look better, if it needs repairs, or if it's a favorite that has been worn so often that it's starting to look haggard and threadbare. That weeded out things for me. A major move from a cold climate to a warmer one weeded out a whole lot more!

I think a good rule to follow is that for every new thing you bring into the house, one or two things need to go out. That helps to keep the clutter to a minimum and your closet won't keep expanding.

Another suggestion would be to think about how incredibly blessed you are to have all those clothes compared to people who've suffered great loss through floods, fires, etc. or who have lost their jobs or because of abuse had to leave their homes in a hurry and took little with them, or someone in a drug or alcohol recovery program who is starting life over with little to nothing. Then you might be moved to donate some of your excess to someone who can REALLY use it.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:35 AM

809 posts, read 3,117,897 times
I heard a tip where you turn all your hangers around (so the hook is facing out). As you wear clothes and hang them back up, turn the hangers back around to the normal way (hook facing the wall). Then in 6 months (or pick a time frame), everything on hangers still facing out hasn't been worn and you don't need it.

This is a tip from Peter Walsh when he was on Oprah.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:42 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,951,585 times
i do this all the time with my wife, she would keep everything for the rest of her life if i wouldn't force her to clear out some space. i take the clothes out one by one, she votes keep or toss. when she votes keep i challenge her. c'mon, this one's faded and gross. i haven't seen this in months. you've got 3 others just like it. whatever.

you'll need a friend who' not afraid to challenge you. or, alextx's idea is a good one too.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 AM

1,367 posts, read 4,974,107 times
Personally, I don't agree with the "one year rule" unless your clothes are of a very cheap quality or very trendy style. I will often revisit pieces that I haven't worn in 1+ year, as long as they weren't too trendy at the time, and wear them again in a different way.

If I haven't worn something in a while and it clearly belongs to a trend whose time has come, I get rid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or