U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 02:21 PM

979 posts, read 3,485,318 times

Advertisements

I haven't taken the time to read all of comments but tattoos do not denote "low life scum" these days. If doctors and lawyers have tattoos then how can you justify putting a 21 yr old in the low life category?
Eventhough I have no tattoos and don't ever plan on getting one I think it's a personal choice you make about your own body. Some people find that it helps them to express creatively a feeling or characteristic of themselves. Tattoos are not for everyone but I certainly wouldn't think someone is lower than me if they did have one.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 03:27 PM

2,464 posts, read 5,685,266 times
If my 21 year old came home with a tattoo on his neck... I would probably be inclined to think that I had failed him as a parent. It's one thing to get one on the arms, torso, legs, etc. - even the hands aren't so bad. But placing a tattoo on the neck signifies something else entirely. Where I come from it's usually associated with gang affiliation or something else sinister in nature. Not to mention... it looks tacky IMO.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:46 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,798,671 times
Tattoo's on the neck are definately not good. This will always denote some type of criminal/gang/lowlife/scum activity on the part of the guy who has it. Tattoo's anywhere else are fine, but on the neck it definately says "low life".

Old 02-06-2008, 12:23 PM

1,719 posts, read 6,028,366 times
can I vote for whooping his butt...
I'm only 25, but I think thats dumb.
In Los Angeles, Ive only seen hispanics with gang tattoos or the "lips" tattoo in which their childs mother usually kisses a paper and the tattoo is applied to match her actual lip imprint.

Some whites have neck tattoos, although Ive never seen any, but they are generally in favor of their childs name, or womans name, or perhaps recreational club they are affiliated. This doesnt mean they have clean criminal records or do drugs and such.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:27 PM

308 posts, read 2,350,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Tattoos are very popular right now especially with the young. I wonder if some of the people who get Tattoos today will regret having one 20-30-40 years from how when they are older and more mature.

A friends boy got his first tattoo on his 21st Birthday and it is huge on his neck. He is also thinking of getting one on his face just like his hero Mike Tyson (the boxer). What would you say to your son if he got a tattoo in such a ovious location?
I would say 'nice son'. I have tatts myself. Im planning of gettin a few more. I dont know how I'll think in 20 years, but hey you just live once.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:38 PM

1,584 posts, read 4,016,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
I would say 'nice son'. I have tatts myself. Im planning of gettin a few more. I dont know how I'll think in 20 years, but hey you just live once.
But why make it a lousy one?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 PM

335 posts, read 931,186 times
Quote:
Tattoos are very popular right now especially with the young. I wonder if some of the people who get Tattoos today will regret having one 20-30-40 years from how when they are older and more mature.

A friends boy got his first tattoo on his 21st Birthday and it is huge on his neck. He is also thinking of getting one on his face just like his hero Mike Tyson (the boxer). What would you say to your son if he got a tattoo in such a ovious location?
Most likely kill him! J/P! I will not be a hypocrite and say I have none! I have 2....both on my back. This was a decision I made well after the age of 21 an for personal reasons(meaning I do not sport a tramp stamp). I work in a professional environment that simply will not tolerate any visible tats! I would tell my son all the pros and cons, explain the ramifications and consequences of having a visible tat. But in all reality after the age of 18? All a parent can do is counsel and (Bribe)

Old 02-06-2008, 10:59 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
kidults playing halloween dress up?
how can they grow up?
U.S. Army builds men, second to none.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-07-2008 at 12:04 AM..

Old 02-07-2008, 09:27 AM

5,835 posts, read 3,882,521 times
Personally don't like tattoos, but if my 21 year old lived on his own then it is his neck he is putting on the line and his life to lead as he sees fit...just don't come to me when you can't pay your rent because you can't get a decent job. These are life decisions that fortunetly can be covered up.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:49 AM

467 posts, read 350,719 times
Quote:
Our son mentioned in passing that he had got a tattoo. I ALMOST blasted him on the phone but my husband's restraining hand saved the day. I said, "Oh yes? Hope your future employers can't see it." To which came his response - don't worry it will not be visible to them. You can imagine the deep sigh of relief in our house that night! In fact we like it - it is Polynesian around the top of his arm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or